2019 Draftees Prediction | Page 2 | BigFooty

2019 Draftees Prediction

Discussion in 'Drafts, Trading & Free Agency' started by gillo94, Nov 30, 2018.

1. LongerHasHickey

LongerHasHickey Team Captain

St Kilda
    I feel that Smith will have more chances to play as an inside mid in year 1 compared to Walsh due to size at this stage as well as likelihood of starting as an inside mid. The blues will give preference to Cripps, Dow and Stocker to play inside, while I believe Walsh will play wing predominantly in year 1. As such, Smith will probably have more of a spotlight on him as inside mids tend to get noticed more than outside mids unless the outside mids are very exceptional. Over time I see Walsh moving more into the inside when he puts on more size.

In addition, Smith can be moved to a half back flank depending on match circumstances, which gives him a chance to rack up bigger disposal numbers.

gillo94 likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. gillo94

gillo94 Norm Smith Medallist

Carlton
    Other Teams:
    LA Lakers
    Will wait pre-season see where blues will play the names mentioned above. Matt Kennedy and Will Setterfield will also play inside so Sam might even play other parts of the ground to start off with

3. HARKER

HARKER Hall of Famer

Carlton
    Surprised for so many to be picking Caldwell.
    He'll be doing well even getting a starting spot for GWS, let alone showing up to be the best mid.

For 2019 only

1. Small - Rankine is clearly the player that has the capacity to be the one everyone is talking about early.
    2. Tall - Lukosius because he'll be a definite starter, whereas the Kings and Blakey may have to wait a little.
    3. Rising Star - Setterfield if he's good to go from early on.

gillo94 and Isaac Cumming No 1 like this.
  4. gillo94

gillo94 Norm Smith Medallist

Carlton
    Other Teams:
    LA Lakers
    Be good Setterfield winning it and other blues rookies get few rising star nominations. Have to see how Will does over the preseason to get idea

Isaac Cumming No 1 likes this.
  5. Buzzasto DaSilva

Buzzasto DaSilva Premiership Player

GWS
    Other Teams:
    Islanders
    1. Small - Rhylee West
    2. Tall - Nathan Kreuger
    3. Rising Star - Jordan Clark, just over Rhylee West.

Virgin Dog likes this.
  6. Isaac Cumming No 1

Isaac Cumming No 1 Premium Platinum

GWS
    Fair call about Caldwell. Hopper is the only mid I can recall debuting as a mid in recen
    Is he training?

HARKER likes this.
  7. HARKER

HARKER Hall of Famer

Carlton
    Even Hopper didn't start from the get-go if I recall and neither did Kennedy.
    If Caldwell does start he'll have to be absolutely flying to get the jump on Coniglio, Ward, Kelly, Whitfield, Hopper, Taranto etc. for a starting mid position.

Setterfield is training but lightly and due to be good to go in the New Year.

Isaac Cumming No 1 likes this.
  8. Isaac Cumming No 1

Isaac Cumming No 1 Premium Platinum

GWS
    Kennedy actually played his first 3 games as a half forward in 2016. Common for us, Bonar did the same this year. I guess my point is he may well play games this year, but as you say midfield is less likely. When you look at the stats it's surrprising how few clearances Taranto attends. He lurks behind the stoppage more often. With Shiel gone he'll probably move move in mire.

Tks for the update. Seems about on schedule for an ACL. There'll be a lot if conditioning in his legs needed now I imagine.

9. Joey JoJo Jr Shabadoo

Joey JoJo Jr Shabadoo Draftee

Adelaide
    1. Rankine
    2. Blakey
    3. Blakey

10. 1990crow

1990crow Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Copy paste.

Moeydw likes this.
  11. Milanista28

Milanista28 Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Jordan Clark
    Lukosius
    Jordan Clark

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Mitchell54

Mitchell54 Norm Smith Medallist

Hawthorn
    Other Teams:
    Sixers, Exers, GWS Womens
    1. standout mid/small of 2018 draft - Izak Rankine
    2. standout tall of 2018 draft - Ben King
    3. 2019 rising star award winner - Izak Rankine

13. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck Premiership Player

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Central District
    1. Walsh/Rankine
    2. Lukosius
    3. Walsh

Walsh wins just about every award that's up for grabs so probably no different here. Game exposure plus consistency should see him home.

14. scott_the_man

scott_the_man Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    1, standout mid/small of 2018 draft
    Izak Rankine. Will start round 1 and show regular flashes of brilliance throughout the year. Will be a shining light for Gold Coast in 2019.

2, standout tall of 2018 draft
    Ben King. There aren't a lot of talls from this draft that will get regular games in 2019 but I think Ben King will be one of them. Gold Coast defence will be under seige all year and he will get a lot of opportunity to show his wares.

3, 2019 rising star award winner
    Liam Stocker. Ready to play round 1 and should be a regular contributor for Carlton throughout the season. Not flashy but his consistency will get him the award.

15. adammania9

adammania9 Norm Smith Medallist

Collingwood
    Other Teams:
    University
    Aiden Bonar will win the rising star

16. Moist Biscuit

Moist Biscuit Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    1) Rankine. In my opinion the best player in the draft, is the most skilled of any player in the draft and should play every game for the suns bar injury.
    2) Lukosius. In a draft thin on KPP quality, imo Lukosius is as close as you can get to a perfect key tall. Has class, excellent leading patterns and a great work rate and like Rankine, he should play all year for the suns barring an injury.
    3) Rozee. Yes the third of the 3 South Australians, but I think Rozee can play as a half forward for the power starting from round 1. Already has experience of playing against men so I don't think he will struggle to make an impact like some others will. Will add some pure class, poise and freakish ability in the forward line that is now missing some Xfactor with the Wingard departure. With a rising power outfit behind him, he should shine and win the rising star.

Walsh the obvious one I have missed, he will play plenty of footy next year and would probably be my second choice behind Rozee.

17. legendstatus

legendstatus Norm Smith Medallist

Collingwood
    Other Teams:
    Victory
  18. Andre the Giant

Andre the Giant Premiership Player

GWS
    If Caldwell gets through the pre-season without injury there is an opportunity for him to play straight away. From the vision I’ve seen he looks physically strong enough and ready.

That said, with his recent history of soft tissue injuries he will probably be managed and even if he is best 22 will probably be given rests through the year to ensure he gets through it without recurrence.