Prediction 2019 Draftees - Who will be the stand outs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
The problem is you're argument is weak. It doesn't appear to be a coincidence that after a surprising drought, SA produced some great talent this year either.

It's certainly understandable to be disappointed the Crows weren't able to manouver to keep the cream, it would feel right to me if you could. It always looked impossible though.

It's the Suns job to look after their interests anyway, and not their fault.
My argument is not weak - it is logical. And again all of you are ignoring the elephant in the room - and that is already it seems clubs are circling Lukosius within 1 month of the draft. It doers not take a rocket scientist to work out that it is going to be incredibly hard for a club in GC position to retain him, Rankine and Ben King. Sure that is their job to try to do so - but wow, after what they have just gone through it seems like lunacy to put themselves through a similar scenario all over again when guys like Cripps of port pre warned them what will be coming before the draft

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I've read them. Your argument amounts to Gold Coast should draft mediocre (or lesser, anyway) talent that may leave them rather than top end talent that may leave them.
No - you have not read my comments then - they are that GC should have traded out to get more 1st rounders AND THEN selected players that did not have massive flight risk plastered all over them..guys like Chayce jones who is tasmanian, Jackson Hately who was very happy to relocate etc - top 10 rated kids in their own right. I will repeat ...again..what they did to get Mclennan was a wise move as he wanted to go to GC - they paid a premium but I think it will be well worth it as he looks a good player and should be there long term..don't misconstrue what I have been consistently saying

liz

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
No - you have not read my comments then - they are that GC should have traded out to get more 1st rounders AND THEN selected players that did not have massive flight risk plastered all over them..guys like Chayce jones who is tasmanian, Jackson Hately who was very happy to relocate etc - top 10 rated kids in their own right. I will repeat ...again..what they did to get Mclennan was a wise move as he wanted to go to GC - they paid a premium but I think it will be well worth it as he looks a good player and should be there long term..don't misconstrue what I have been consistently saying

So they should have used pick 2 on McLennan because he didn't look like a flight risk?

Do you think Adelaide erred in drafting known flight risk Lever back in 2014?

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
My argument is not weak - it is logical. And again all of you are ignoring the elephant in the room - and that is already it seems clubs are circling Lukosius within 1 month of the draft. It doers not take a rocket scientist to work out that it is going to be incredibly hard for a club in GC position to retain him, Rankine and Ben King. Sure that is their job to try to do so - but wow, after what they have just gone through it seems like lunacy to put themselves through a similar scenario all over again when guys like Cripps of port pre warned them what will be coming before the draft
Again why you want to care about GCS recruiters losing their jobs , Is not your responsibility, if Rankine and Lukosius stayed they ( recruiters) get the credit fof choosing the right option. If not they get the blame . Offer coming in for Lukosius could mean paying over to get him and GCS still have Corbett and Burgess as backup .

Last edited:

Doro

Collective Narcissism Support Group
Sep 22, 2011
62 West Wallaby St.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wensleydale Wanderers

Many non S.A kids suck it up and move there, when their name is called. Unknown, would have preferred to stay home. Works out for them a lot of the time. G.C have the next 2 years to address your certainty of homesickness.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Twomey had McLennan at 21 in his power rankings after the combine.
They wanted their man and traded up to 23 to get him. Not really an overpayment worth worrying about at this stage.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
So they should have used pick 2 on McLennan because he didn't look like a flight risk?

Do you think Adelaide erred in drafting known flight risk Lever back in 2014?
Why use pick 2 on McLennan or plenty of others when they could have traded out for more 1st round picks to take more kids and ones less obvious flight risks
And yes - absolutely they erred in taking lever, but luckily the draft haul received from him has worked well for the club

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Again why you want to care about GCS recruiters losing their jobs , Is not your responsibility, if Rankine and Lukosius stayed they ( recruiters) get the credit fof choosing the right option. If not they get the blame . Offer coming in for Lukosius could mean paying over to get him and GCS still have Corbett and Burgess as backup .
It most certainly will mean any club wanting him will have to pay overs - no doubt. But all GC have done is set themselves up for a big battle when I believe they had an alternate strategy to take that would have made such risks less. no one wants to see them fold or relocated but if this current crop go and they have to start again, what then?. why take the very high risk strategy after what has just happened

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Many non S.A kids suck it up and move there, when their name is called. Unknown, would have preferred to stay home. Works out for them a lot of the time. G.C have the next 2 years to address your certainty of homesickness.
Yes they do. But if you take 6 kids in the first round in stead of 4, you would have a greater chance of retaining more of them purely based on numbers and if you take kids with less obvious pull factors and I believe the go home issue for GC is the most important one by some distance - and that is my opinion

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Twomey had McLennan at 21 in his power rankings after the combine.
They wanted their man and traded up to 23 to get him. Not really an overpayment worth worrying about at this stage.
It was more that they spend 2 x 2nd rounders to move up a few places - but as I said, I think it was a very wise move as McLennan made it clear his preference was to move to GC and he looks a good player - it is a win for GC as he is far more likely to be there long term. Just hope he goes on to be a good player for them

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Mate, all the Vic clubs are into all our draftees from the get go. It’s not exclusive to the Suns draftees from just this year.

Geelong were hard in to Witherden for 18 months before he extended his contract at the Lions.

The only difference is that this year, Southern clubs have been more open about it in the media, which the AFL, at least publicly, should be stepping on. In other leagues, like the NBA, those clubs would be copping hefty fines.

liz

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Yes they do. But if you take 6 kids in the first round in stead of 4, you would have a greater chance of retaining more of them purely based on numbers and if you take kids with less obvious pull factors and I believe the go home issue for GC is the most important one by some distance - and that is my opinion

They didn't need six kids in the first round. They didn't have the list spots available to take six kids in the first round. After their three top six picks, they took McLennan and then an academy player (for whom they didn't need a higher pick than the one they used). Had they had more first round picks they would probably have landed up trading some out for 2019 picks.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
They didn't need six kids in the first round. They didn't have the list spots available to take six kids in the first round. After their three top six picks, they took McLennan and then an academy player (for whom they didn't need a higher pick than the one they used). Had they had more first round picks they would probably have landed up trading some out for 2019 picks.
If they had traded down for more 1st round picks, they would not have taken as many other club cast offs as they did from other clubs to get in higher end talent. They could easily have traded out the 2nd rounders for future picks if they had wanted and still taken McLennan at the start of the 2nd round

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
If they had traded down for more 1st round picks, they would not have taken as many other club cast offs as they did from other clubs to get in higher end talent. They could easily have traded out the 2nd rounders for future picks if they had wanted and still taken McLennan at the start of the 2nd round
There just isn’t that many kids available who want to go to the GC. The “cast offs” are about the only ones who want to go there. Getting them is pretty much what you are suggesting they should do. Take lesser players who want to be there.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
There just isn’t that many kids available who want to go to the GC. The “cast offs” are about the only ones who want to go there. Getting them is pretty much what you are suggesting they should do. Take lesser players who want to be there.
There seems to be train of thought on here that somehow 1st round picks outside the top 3 are worthless????. I have not suggested at all anywhere that GC should have traded down and out of the 1st round..not anywhere. I have suggested they had the great chance to trade down for more 1st round picks - mainly mid 1st round picks to go after less high risk players (ie ones that were public about preferring to stay in their home states before the draft) and there just happened to be a number of kids around that mark that appear to have less of a go home risk attached - tasmanian kids, kids that declared they wanted to move etc. This was supposedly a super draft so the suggestion that taking 4 kids between 8 & 16 is somehow a bad thing is unbelievable

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
There seems to be train of thought on here that somehow 1st round picks outside the top 3 are worthless????. I have not suggested at all anywhere that GC should have traded down and out of the 1st round..not anywhere. I have suggested they had the great chance to trade down for more 1st round picks - mainly mid 1st round picks to go after less high risk players (ie ones that were public about preferring to stay in their home states before the draft) and there just happened to be a number of kids around that mark that appear to have less of a go home risk attached - tasmanian kids, kids that declared they wanted to move etc. This was supposedly a super draft so the suggestion that taking 4 kids between 8 & 16 is somehow a bad thing is unbelievable
4 picks between 8-16 compared to three picks between 2-6 is a bad return considering there is a clear top end and it gives you zero guarantees. It doesn’t matter who they take clubs are going to come after them if they are any good. At least if Rankine and Lukosius live up to the hype the AFL will most likely give them AFL sponsorship to help them stay

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
4 picks between 8-16 compared to three picks between 2-6 is a bad return considering there is a clear top end and it gives you zero guarantees. It doesn’t matter who they take clubs are going to come after them if they are any good. At least if Rankine and Lukosius live up to the hype the AFL will most likely give them AFL sponsorship to help them stay
NO - 2 picks inside the top 6 for 4 picks inside the top 16 was the suggestion

As for the second point, didn't they offer Tom Lynch one and he still left

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
NO - 2 picks inside the top 6 for 4 picks inside the top 16 was the suggestion

As for the second point, didn't they offer Tom Lynch one and he still left
Tom Lynch has made his money and is already 26. Well who would you suggest they take with the other top 6 pick they had because no one worthy wants to be there.
That would have also left them with too many picks

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Tom Lynch has made his money and is already 26. Well who would you suggest they take with the other top 6 pick they had because no one worthy wants to be there.
That would have also left them with too many picks
Connor rozee if they had traded picks with port - he had no ties or link to either SA club leading into the draft. As for too many picks - not at all as they would have prepared for the trade and had ample chance to trade their 20's picks knowing they had a bundle of higher picks coming

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Connor rozee if they had traded picks with port - he had no ties or link to either SA club leading into the draft. As for too many picks - not at all as they would have prepared for the trade and had ample chance to trade their 20's picks knowing they had a bundle of higher picks coming
He said as soon as he was drafted how happy he was to stay home. He was just as big of a risk as the rest of them

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
He said as soon as he was drafted how happy he was to stay home. He was just as big of a risk as the rest of them
Of course - on the night all players said how happy they were to be picked up by their clubs etc . But the red flag players that made it public they preferred to stay home had done so before the draft so had give advance notice of what they may be thinking

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Of course - on the night all players said how happy they were to be picked up by their clubs etc . But the red flag players that made it public they preferred to stay home had done so before the draft so had give advance notice of what they may be thinking
Did any actually go public and say they didn’t want to go there?

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Did any actually go public and say they didn’t want to go there?
The 4 players that had said they preferred to stay in their home state were Rankine (my tip for the rising star this year), M King, B King and B Smith - with B smith apparently producing a doctors certificate saying he could not relocate from melbourne. I don't recall Lukosius making any public statements about staying in SA and he seems like the one more likely to hang around a while - although again, the SEN reports are ominous if accurate

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
The 4 players that had said they preferred to stay in their home state were Rankine (my tip for the rising star this year), M King, B King and B Smith - with B smith apparently producing a doctors certificate saying he could not relocate from melbourne. I don't recall Lukosius making any public statements about staying in SA and he seems like the one more likely to hang around a while - although again, the SEN reports are ominous if accurate
The way you talk about it , might as well pick all GC academy players , no go home factor At pick 2,3,6 . Lynch and May stayed for 7 + year before they left because of lack of success , getting players with less skill will make players like Ainsworth , Florini , Brodie ask to be trade in a few years because of lack of success.

Your strategy only work if those players ( Jones, Hately ) suggested are equal or better than Ainsworth , Bowes ,Weller and Brodie .

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back