jqRlFGj.gif

Will he? Won't he? WILLIE RIOLI!

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
*********ATTEMPTING A REPOST TO SE EIF IT WORKS BETTER ON A NEW PAGE*********

EAGLES v NORTH RD 19 Part 1

This game was a joy to watch, but some moments don't lend themselves well to gifs. This game had so many passages of play to highlight good running, timing leads, good ball use and how to attack the corridor, but these plays normally stretch out to lengths of 20-30 seconds or more. I try to keep these gifs to 12 seconds or lower and even then the quality isn't great.

Jack Darling is incredible, Jetta when he's on he's on. Tommy Barrass killed the ball so many times it wasn't worth making a gif of his 17 spoils, things like a Hickey ruck tap also don't work well as gifs due to their short time span. Also, this s**t takes too long so I try keep it to two posts, or <40 gifs.

JD played this brilliantly, we all know how it ends. His tackle last week for JK's goal and efforts like this make the forward line potent af
SkSEeXv.gif

Sheed follows his man through the contest since he's playing behind, then as Yeo covers his man Sheed lays the tackle. Could easily be "blocked" by the guy he's trailing but he makes the effort to step around and lay a good tackle.
y5iHfEM.gif

How is this not being talked about more? This is reminiscent of Fyfe vs Geelong all those years ago. Accelerates through three tackles and snaps a goal, very similar.
mlcF2zK.gif

I like how Sheed doesn't just stick his arm out and then act all beaten for agility. His arm still goes out but the drive afterwards with the shoulder down, head down, pushing forward is the difference this week, he follows it through to the end and Petch gets the spillage. It's all about intent. Awesome work here.
sT6MGWG.gif

Tackle by Rioli really got his day going early. Also Gov being smart enough to not play on fore no reason like a lot of players are prone to do.
wM0X25y.gif

Best angle of the goal.
jqRlFGj.gif

Gather, break two tackles, handball release, vision and strength. This bloke can football. I can't remember the last time he ever got knocked off of his feet.
8mobvXM.gif

This pace of Petruccelle stops a handball chain down the wing in its tracks. Thos two kangaroos players are almost out, if not for his acceleration to put the doubt in their mind, the handball release doesn't happen and the player has to get behind the mark.
oJ5E3ue.gif

If Barrass doesn't get to this you're left with Gaff vs two kangaroos, big mark here. Backed himself to mark when he was in front but just killed it when he was out of position instead of trying the impossible.
17g0js1.gif

Honestly, how many in the AFL have the audacity, acceleration and agility to pull this off? This is what line breaking looks like. This play didn't even work out but there's only a handful of guys who can do this.
nqyrO3H.gif

He fluffs the kick, but I like how as he raises his right hand, he could be about to kick, the kangas player assumes so and Yeo accelerates as he bounces and that tenth of a second it takes his opponent to realise what's going on is enough for him to be out and gone.
IgP5h1j.gif

Hickey's follow up work and Sheed's kicking in space. Also Redden's tackle efforts for a turnover.
GxZVVpv.gif

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I can repost the rest in smaller posts if they're working?

It's impossible to tell because my internet has them working some days and some days they don't load.

However in the previews everything plays smoothly, so the links are correct.

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
KANGAS GAME - PART 1 REPEAT (trying smaller posts)

Sort of missed this one, but the look away handball by Rioli.
kmSBdIR.gif

This is a great example of us using our run and good foot skills, then coming straight into the corridor. We had players patrolling that centre square like they owned it all game
ABnhYNk.gif

....and he's probably had better this season. Remarkable vision.
nEyhUYy.gif

Sheppard gets turned here by his opponent but look at him close the gap, head down, it's never over until it's over. Even if the kick had been perfect the Kangaroos player would have had to get behind the mark as Shep was closing way too fast. Specimen!
soHHlFl.gif

This handball from Sheed was all class. Petruccelle going too quick here to do much, don't think there was much on.
Jivso8J.gif

Darling missing this was criminal. Such a great lead, kick and choice to play on though. third best kick of the day probably, hard to say with some of Rioli's kicks and Jettas previous effort coming off half back into the corridor.
U6F54x8.gif

Not many try this at the top level but * me it looks sexy, like a one handed backhand in tennis, just looks better. Actually a reasonably safe choice if you practice it.
3B9kSK6.gif

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Redden another tackle causing a turnover. Yeo's ability to hit it 50m on the left, doesn't need to be pin point to be a weapon, Darling marks strongly.
RSdQiSA.gif

Barrass mark, Jetta taking the pace off the kick on the run, across the body.
MmRVf0y.gif

Shuey tackles hard, did this a few times, makes people pay. Sheed's technique here is brilliant to go for the one arm when he has the chance, Darling kicked all the hardest ones and missed his easier shots. Good snap off a step.
Sk7YKmc.gif

Was in some touch, how's the half volley here! Pretty clean and it buys him time.
UWOIXfi.gif

Shep with the acrobatic spoil and Yeo putting his body on the line.
bK23qQo.gif

Poor quality gif, but Redden another tackle that causes a turnover, not sure Gaff saw Ryan before he even took possession or if it was luck, but Ryan's kick to Allen is perfect. Leads him back into the open grass and dead in front.
LPdtHRT.gif

Jetta and Gaff really did dominate the centre square. Jetta's taking the piss sometimes. His light frame gives him the ability to stop on a dime, the bigger mids can't lay a hand on him, can't remember the last time he ever got caught or ragdolled?
ghIjMik.gif

The lead up play to arguably the kick of the day, Sheed with a good kick and JK with a great mark at full tilt.
3DwV58X.gif

This or Jetta's across the body for kick of the day, this squeezing between two players is awesome. The double pump, then delivery. Outside of the boot, open the hips and stab the kick.
52aQKL1.gif

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Love both Gaff's kick as well as his power running afterwards. Had every right to get this ball back off either of Ryan or Willie, but wasn't used. He is a great midfielder in regards to footy smarts and positioning. Kick to Ryan while leaning the other way is pretty special too.
R32dwmO.gif

TB is on when he's going for kicks like this. Good spot up in traffic.
ySIyalf.gif

This is up there for kick of the day, except i'm unsure if he really meant it as he's pushed on the kick. Gif is mainly to highlight his power running to get out to the side where he can actually deliver like that without having to give it air to clear someone on the mark. Kangaroos players had him covered but he still accelerated hard enough to open up a new trajectory of kick, another example of breaking lines.
r1fFesx.gif

TB killing the ball when he's not playing in front, Shuey gets a HTB call here with another strong tackle.
1KT8fSk.gif

Good side step, bad handball, good tap on (cops the hit), good kick.
OZcemI6.gif

Tap from Willie is good, but Darling again clean below his knees opens up the entire play. Cameron's kick to Ollen is a bullet. See how far Petch runs here from the time Rioli taps it forward, he starts behind him and surges forward, probably should have been used, but not like Rioli didn't set up his fair share of goals today.
U9vn8lc.gif

Moments later, Darling taps to Jetta and we go coast to coast. Using the corridor and running in waves, giving it to the better ball users. Sheed even lays a block to allow Jetta more time.
kMoyQUy.gif

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I cant recall the quarter but I reckon it was the 2nd. Shuey gets it in the middle from a ball up and bamboozles 4 or 5 blokes, pretty much stands on the spot dishing out candy and doesnt get a finger laid on him. that would be a great Gif!

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Bit of a left field request, but any chance you could put a gif together of Darling's fwd line ruck work?

For a 191cm guy, he's been killing it imo. Kicked a goal on Witts and at least one other (Pruess?)
He's had some awesome moments in the ruck, either taking it himself by overpowering full-time ruckmen and kicking a goal, or tapping to advantage to the small forwards.

I don't have the time to go back and compile all these things, but I know the AFL site stats page lets you view every statistic now, so you could probably view all of Darling's hitouts?

I'm not sure what happens when you grab it out of the ruck though if they count that as a hit-out. Technically it isn't but you have won the ruck contest.

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
EAGLES VS CROWS RD 21

Didn't take as many gifs as normal, as it bugs the thread out and I CBF editing them (poor workflow I'll admit). Missed heaps of good stuff, was a really good game to go back and watch, The Crows played really well.

Willi Rioli with the balls to take on the ruckman, then the kick with the low trajectory to clear that last defender. The kick is the sex, the way he puts his leg through it and pushes it down field dead straight, great technique.
MGBjRHC.gif

Love these tap-ons from our guys (Willie had better ones but I missed them). Hutchings isn't a perfect kick but if he goes long to a one on one, advantage side, it really gives Oscar Allen a chance to make the space his own.
5lnydc3.gif

Love seeing Yeo fly for these, also keeping his feet and having a second effort. Hutchings desire to tackle here is something Masten might offer, without the strength to pull it off. Does anyone know how many consecutive games Hutchings played before getting injured? Can't seem to find the info anywhere!
FdrWaIE.gif

Really liked all 3 kicks here but also the movement. You see Hurn keep running, Nelson unused but moving, Redden/Yeo in the middle with arms out, Shuey moves again after his kick, just constant movement means you'll eventually get a target, especially with Jetta/Shuey/Hurn kicking.
cPn7Wos.gif

Going .... Going .... Gone!
5h4Abdw.gif

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeo take a bow. Ryan great little side step and finish under pressure. Waterman creating space for the person attacking the goal face, some players fail to understand this concept, would try grab the ball, fake to Ryan to shake the defender and then have an awkward snap.
xnGOqot.gif

Properly good goal, the handball fake, don't argue and movement through the stoppage
XdFVkxA.gif

This from Yeo to shepherd Gaff the whole way down the wing, watch his eyes and you can tell he's lining up to block for Gaff, only right at the end does he peel off to be a receiver, not like some mungbeans who run 2 metres in front of someone calling for the ball. Yeo doesn't even get used but he allows Gaff the space to hit Ryan on the lead. Absolute star in all facets of the game. Could have made the gif shorter but just had to include Sheed's great handball release!
9GHvX02.gif

Grab him, dispose him. Next play.
pHjfgGh.gif

See Petruccelle talke a few steps here, gets the attention of the defender, Sheed breaks into space at that moment when there's a split second lapse and Rioli is good enough to genuinely look like he might kick for goal and take the pace of the kick. Good play.
jWUQu0P.gif

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Cripps after the handball release literally sprints to the next contest, really wants to impact it and does. Ball spills, Rioli puts on a block for Gaff who has a smart kick to Cripps. Cripps goes on to bounce three times and at the end he pulls the kick smartly to Sheed without blasting away, all after having sprinted across the HBF just to try pressure a disposal. Cripps is a running machine. Also see Gaff when he first realises the Crows got the groundball get at the start of the gif, just instinctively switches to defence, spots his man and sprints to cover him, then after the turnover reacts quickly to be a receiving option. He's a quality player in so many ways.
gLEWpQw.gif

I just really liked his smarts to punch the ball clear with his left when he saw his opponent didn't have two hands on it, on his feet the whole time and runs away with the ball
NML6H9o.gif

How's these two kicks from Redden and Cripps, gaining ~100m in a split second.
FfQ8Ewn.gif

This strength from Shuey is awesome, Redden also doing what he does best with his arms free and someone hanging off him still finds Yeo in the clear.
FbH9QOw.gif

I didn't gif most of Darling's tackles, they were all stronger than this one as well, but his efforts here from the ground are top notch, team oriented player. Never lowers his head.
XL6GrYd.gif

Doubt he knew Ryan was there but the dummy fake, look inboard first before pumping it long is good play, going through the right processes in his head. Maybe someone told him to go long down the wing? Who knows.
nCM6JNI.gif

Massive left foot kick here from Cripps and Rioli attacking after the Crows over commit.
aYamk58.gif

Last edited:
Back