Politics & Government 2019 Election: Australia's Shame

Who are you voting for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If people reject an alternative they reject an alternative. Labor was just a less convincing version of the incumbent.

The future is still in primary industries. Pledge to invest in lithium, graphite etc and battery production in coal regions and see how you go.

Lol that'd be right. I forgot that mods can delete posts that they disagree with and find an excuse for it. "swear filter" is great if it actually deleted every post with swear words not just the ones mods pick because it "offends" them. Thank god the Greens and Labor lost, **** their communist ideologies.

You Mexicans enjoy the next 3 years because I know I will. Won't have to put up with the mentally insane for now.

Lol that'd be right. I forgot that mods can delete posts that they disagree with and find an excuse for it. "swear filter" is great if it actually deleted every post with swear words not just the ones mods pick because it "offends" them. Thank god the Greens and Labor lost, **** their communist ideologies.

You Mexicans enjoy the next 3 years because I know I will. Won't have to put up with the mentally insane for now.
What's with the Mexicans comments?

Labor was predicted to win easily according to the media but in the last couple of weeks asking friends, family and work colleagues I didnt find anyone that was going to vote for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't want to 'state blame' - for one thing, every state is to blame - but big chunks of Queensland are the American South now. Ignorant and proud of it. Swings to George Christensen, Peter Dutton, everywhere One Nation. This is stupid people looking at stupid candidates and seeing themselves.
Maybe so but rich from a bloke that votes for the Greens.

Maybe so but rich from a bloke that votes for the Greens.

The farmers will have their hands out for money after voting against doing anything about climate change.

Of course the Bomberboyokays of the world seem to ignore that they constantly have their snouts in the trough and at the same time want to sabotage mining, agriculture etc. which fill up the trough in the first place.

Everyone is full of s**t. Sun still rises.

Thought it was pretty much the opposite. Their big ticket policies were what scared voters away. Libs barely proposed a thing during the campaign.
It's a shame, means we'll just see shitter campaigns from both parties now, because they'll be to afraid to propose anything.

Anyway, I guess the pollsters need to find a new way to operate. It would seem the demise of the landline makes it harder for them to get a truly representative sample. At least 8ne positive to come out if this is Sportsbet would have lost a heap of money.

Hope those rednecks enjoy their Adani mine.When the last tree is cut down, the last fish eaten and the last stream poisoned, you will realize that you cannot eat money.
Sportsbet got a massive marketing win. It was money well spent.

I'm still staggered the Libs won.

Surely they didn't get that many One Nation preferences.

The groundswell seemed to be towards Labor, people wanted change Gough Whitlam style.

I think we underestimated the grey army that still thought they were voting for John Howard.

Every nation has character.

US are violent gun nuts.
The Brits up tight royals.
Germans stoic.
NZers friendly slighly hippy.

Australia is a right wing conservative country.

Anyone seen as left here trying to win an election has as much chance as a Orthodox Jew in Saudi Arabia.

A depressing result for Australia's future really. Climate change, media and information literacy, actual policy, generational divide, etc. (the reason why many of us didn't vote for Coalition or their preferences) all treated with contempt by the result. A vote for complete apathy, and Morrison's effective dog-whistling to the far right.

Labor is screwed now. Just have no brand (even the Greens, Liberal, One Nation, etc. have this). Labor is bellwether-reliant in ways that the others aren't. Plibersek, Albanese and Bowen won't be the answer. I liked Bowen in 2013, but I think this result was as much a rejection of Bowen as it was Shorten. He just doesn't have it, hasn't developed leadership qualities. Both need to go. Ideally the likes of Plibersek, Andrew Leigh and maybe Jason Clare will be leading out their next campaign in some configuration. All the boomer Labor are done, Gen X/Y from here. A shame about Shorten, as despite his deserved RGR-unpopularity, he was able to connect policy. He just wasn't trustworthy enough to make the government pay.

I can understand why Morrison was voted in. I get it. He might last a long time. But this should've been a vote-for-change election. Political debate can only suffer.
You named the three people I’d have the top of my list. Though Plibersek is probably tied to this choke just as much as Bowen, Leigh is probably too much of a policy wonk to appeal to the average Australian. Clare has camera appeal but does he have the charisma (and it’s a testament to how disengaged and stupid this country has become that charisma counts more than policy).

Back