Politics & Government 2019 Election: Australia's Shame

Who are you voting for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm still staggered the Libs won.

Surely they didn't get that many One Nation preferences.

Far more Labor voters went to One Nation than Coalition voters.

The greens are a bunch of idealistic simpletons. Their platform was centred around climate change, an issue that Australia barely contributes to and is powerless to prevent. Can't imagine how bad last night must burn for all the lefties on this forum. 25% voting for the greens vs 5% for LNP. Lmao I thought you were better than that BF?

Nah, I think it very much shows what SRP is. And its fantastic.

I'm staggered that One Nation got the same number of votes in this poll as the Liberals :p
Also the thread title should be Shorten's Shame :p

At the time I voted there had been 24 or 25 people voting and not one had selected Liberal, so I decided to keep it going and went for One Nation.

Yesterday I actually voted independents in the first 2 spots because Im in one of the safest seats in the country so it doesnt much matter for Reps. Went for Libs in the Senate.

I'm seeing plenty of stuff online now that equates the Labor party to communists. I think most people would argue that Labor is not that far left of centre, let alone anything resembling communism.

While Labor had better vision for our country, it appears that the LNP were far better equipped to play the game of politics. Ran a perfect scare campaign, and Australia fell for it. Have to give credit where it is due.

Most people don't care about politics and nor should they. They are all liars and break promises etc.

Most of us who don't care see the ads and that's it. None if us are going to read articles avoit spin etc. All we see are the ads and both parties saying how evil and bad the opposition are and don't vote for them.

It would be better to come out and have ads outlining their policies rather than going down the 'evil' other guy.

People aren't going to change their minds based on highlighting the other guys shoddiness when we all think they are as bad as each other.

You'd be amazed the number of voters who have literally Zero knowledge or care about the result, should be aiming the ads at them.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm seeing plenty of stuff online now that equates the Labor party to communists. I think most people would argue that Labor is not that far left of centre, let alone anything resembling communism.

That's just 2019 society. One side has to be the far right and one the far left. Which is a joke on both fronts.

While Labor had better vision for our country, it appears that the LNP were far better equipped to play the game of politics. Ran a perfect scare campaign, and Australia fell for it. Have to give credit where it is due.

I actually thought the Liberals ran a terrible campaign and people wouldn't vote for 'Strong economy! Boo Labor taxes!' again but I guess I overestimated Joe Average. Labor make it so easy for this sort of negative crap to work by announcing a whole bunch of stuff they want to do then claiming that 'closing multinational loopholes' will pay for it. Anyone who bothered to look that up could see that the money they projected to raise from that was only a fraction of what they intended to spend. Doesn't make it a poor policy, just poor politics.

I do love the toys out of the cot reactions from people when others don't vote the way they do. Trump, Brexit, now this. Representative democracy, look it up FFS. See how that ****en idiot Abbott is gone? Popular candidate against him, strong campaign...

The sooner the boomers die off the better but it's not like 100% of people born after 1970 voted ALP and friends. We gonna have a "not my PM" thing now? Not the first choice of about 60% of the population...
#notmypm
Thought I would get in early
You know it is coming;)

I do love the toys out of the cot reactions from people when others don't vote the way they do. Trump, Brexit, now this. Representative democracy, look it up FFS. See how that ****en idiot Abbott is gone? Popular candidate against him, strong campaign...

The sooner the boomers die off the better but it's not like 100% of people born after 1970 voted ALP and friends. We gonna have a "not my PM" thing now? Not the first choice of about 60% of the population...

Mick Molloy a perfect example. He is a Labor man through and through and has cracked the shits big time - attacks those who voted different to him as F-Heads.

People can have differing opinions.

Mick Molloy a perfect example. He is a Labor man through and through and has cracked the shits big time - attacks those who voted different to him as F-Heads.

ALP have polled 40%, 38%, 38%, 43%, 38%, 33%, 35%, 34% in the elections since Howard beat Keating in 1996.

It's not like the Coalition are winning each election with a 20 seat majority. They lost 2007 and 2010 and barely scraped in the last couple. Looking like holding 77/78 seats this time around. When Keating won it was ALP 45-44 Coalition, this time around it was Coalition 41-34 ALP.

If Labor want to get back in they need to have a good hard look at why people don't vote for them any more. People who are apathetic tend to just stick with the devil they know. People who are strongly dissatisfied vote Greens or whichever right wing fringe party is in vogue at the time.

If the Greens want to win more seats maybe they should learn how our voting system works. 10% of the vote is great. Ultimately doesn't mean much though unless it's concentrated.

Clinton got more votes than Trump, too. Should she be President because people want her to be? If Trump won the popular vote and lost the election it would've been a non issue to the usual suspects complaining after the fact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the Greens want to win more seats maybe they should learn how our voting system works. 10% of the vote is great. Ultimately doesn't mean much though unless it's concentrated.

Clinton got more votes than Trump, too. Should she be President because people want her to be? If Trump won the popular vote and lost the election it would've been a non issue to the usual suspects complaining after the fact.
I know how the system works. I would just argue that far from being a giant repudiation of the ALP on Saturday that some in the government would like to have us think, it has more underlined just how fractured the country is.

Well Labor lost seats (potentially just one) and lost primary votes, so if I was an ALP member or strategist or whatever I'd be looking pretty bloody closely at that. Particularly given this was seemingly an "unloseable" election.

There's no ringing endorsement of the Coalition or Morrison, it's currently a whopping 2 seat majority. People are disillusioned with both major parties. But despite all the infighting, leadership spills etc. people still aren't flocking from Liberal to Labor.

Mick Molloy is a massive campaigner who dogs his mates over money anyway.

The Liberal Party primary vote was in the 28%, without the Nationals they can't even form government but somehow they're going to claim some mighty mandate.
I don't like the logic that parties say they have a 'mandate' to do whatever s**t they want to when they only represent 40-50% of the votes or whatever. People vote on multiple issues so they are just in a position to do what they want by consensus

I don't like the logic that parties say they have a 'mandate' to do whatever **** they want to when they only represent 40-50% of the votes or whatever. People vote on multiple issues so they are just in a position to do what they want by consensus

What's the alternative? That's the system we've employed for over 100 years and our govt has been more stable than most others.

It's all a numbers game. Whichever party gets a majority will push what they collectively want to. Both major parties have different factions. If you don't want to see the Labor left or Liberal right or anyone else get in in your seat then your only real option is to vote against them and hope others follow suit.

What's the alternative? That's the system we've employed for over 100 years and our govt has been more stable than most others.

It's all a numbers game. Whichever party gets a majority will push what they collectively want to. Both major parties have different factions. If you don't want to see the Labor left or Liberal right or anyone else get in in your seat then your only real option is to vote against them and hope others follow suit.
An alternative could be that they don't make assholes of themselves when they get in power but nahhh. I suppose you're right

I don't really understand the whole Adani thing in the mind of Queensland voters. Isn't it only going to produce like 500 jobs? Would have thought the risk to the Reef, a huge economic risk, outweighed the reward. Seems like very short term thinking but I don't have the experience of someone living there.

Back