AFLW 2019 Expansion - Welcome North/Tas and Geelong (WCE, GC, Rich, Stk in 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Just using it as an example. You've got to look at the reasons influencing why each team didn't bid the first time round, on its merits, of logistical reasons is a major one, rather than using some catch-all policy of prioritising those who did bid the first time around.

You might, and the commission might, but im a simple, bored and vindictive man

Add all eight teams who apply (all except Swans & Port).
Two conferences of eight.
East - Bris, GC, GWS, Hawks, Dees, Saints, Tigers, Pies
West - Freo, WC, Crows, Dogs, Cats, Dons, North, Carlton
Two week finals 1st conference A v 2nd Conference B and vice-versa. Then GF.
The standard will fall for the first few years, but women's footy is not about that, it is about inclusiveness and participation. This will be the best long term move and will increase the growth rate.
Good for footy.

I would be shocked if it wasn't Essendon and Richmond who get the Vic licences.

The amount of "rivalry" games would have the AFL licking their lips.

Geelong is a monty. For a second vic slot, with the afl it could be anyone. I wouldnt even bet a beer on which club will get up

I wouldnt be surprised if it stays a summer league that encroaches more and more on cricket season.

Summer heat makes it difficult in the really warm months (plus competing with the BBL and tennis). Wouldn't be surprised to see a split season that starts near the end of the AFL season, then goes on a hiatus for Dec-Jan.

I like the speculation about who's next. I think the hard yards have already been done by St Kilda and Geelong in lobbying the commission. Each seems to be a green sites.

Richmond and Essendon don't seem to have anything that sticks out. I do love the personal stories, a girl who barracks for Carlton and the other choosing one club despite "who said that despite having looked into potential opportunities to play with Greater Western Sydney or Geelong, Essendon “is home”. “This was always going to be it — Essendon was the be-all and end-all for me,” she said. “I didn’t want to be anywhere else.” Also Adelaide could have been an option as she is from the NT.

Richmond seems to be fishing in similar suburbs to Carlton and Collingwood.

Taking AFLW games to the Tiwi Islands seem like a logistically nightmare for part time players and broadcasters and media.

If it goes 4 teams you would think it would be Geelong, Eagles, Suns and then the best of the rest.

I am not convinced with Eagles and Suns will be next cab off the rank, these two teams may be at the mercy of how well Freo and Brisbane fare. The AFL won't want to cannibilise these two teams. There won't be a lot of Marquee players spare. This will need growth in WA and QLD.

A quick look at AFLQ has the QWAFL with 7 teams and only 1 is Gold Coast bases in Coolangatta Tweed Bluebirds. The next level down is QWFA Div 1 with 10 teams and 3 Gold Coast based Coolangatta Tweed Bluebirds, Bond Uni Bullsharks and Burleigh Bombers.
QWFA Div 2 is 9 teams and 3 GC based Broadbeach Cats, Coomera Magpies and Beenleigh Buffaloes. QWFA Northern Rivers provide 3 teams in Northern NSW.

Eagles will be hoping for a good season from last years disappointment in Freo so that they are churning through players. Note that QLD has defeated WA at both Under 18 and 23 level this year.

I like the speculation about who's next. I think the hard yards have already been done by St Kilda and Geelong in lobbying the commission. Each seems to be a green sites.

Richmond and Essendon don't seem to have anything that sticks out. I do love the personal stories, a girl who barracks for Carlton and the other choosing one club despite "who said that despite having looked into potential opportunities to play with Greater Western Sydney or Geelong, Essendon “is home”. “This was always going to be it — Essendon was the be-all and end-all for me,” she said. “I didn’t want to be anywhere else.” Also Adelaide could have been an option as she is from the NT.

Richmond seems to be fishing in similar suburbs to Carlton and Collingwood.

Taking AFLW games to the Tiwi Islands seem like a logistically nightmare for part time players and broadcasters and media.
Melbourne football is less about suburbs now.
I live in essendon heartland and there are hawks fans everywhere....i also live with one :p

I think the AFL will award Essendon and Richmond on the back of their membership bases.
I imagine the decisions for expansion will be commercial based.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't know why we are even bidding at this stage, the decision to include Essendon and Richmond has been made so they can have the "Big 4" all part of the comp.
You just have to look at the contra work that has been done Foxfooty and Channel 7 to see who the expansion sides are going to be. Have any other bids been given the prime time exposure that Essendon bid got on channel 7 last week? Has any other side had a segment of 360 devoted to its bid?

Don't know why we are even bidding at this stage, the decision to include Essendon and Richmond has been made so they can have the "Big 4" all part of the comp.
You just have to look at the contra work that has been done Foxfooty and Channel 7 to see who the expansion sides are going to be. Have any other bids been given the prime time exposure that Essendon bid got on channel 7 last week? Has any other side had a segment of 360 devoted to its bid?

Pretty sure you guys will be given a licence. Makes sense for the AFL to have a women's presence in the Geelong area and western Victoria.

As for us, :(. It's obvious why the club pushed hard for inclusion next year - they knew the longer it went without expansion, the more they'd be shifted to the back of the queue.

Reckon youre misreading the tea leaves there

Id love the tigs to be in, but i wouldnt be my house on it right now. Most clubs appear to be making constructive and well developed bids, so "good" bids will no doubt miss out

To be fair, Chris Scott got some clear air on Monday to make his case and it's a fairly compelling one. Conventional wisdom appears to have Geelong at the front of the queue, due in large part to geography.

I'd say only West Coast are in a position where they are so well-resourced that they could get a team purely by throwing money and their brand behind it.

Pretty sure you guys will be given a licence. Makes sense for the AFL to have a women's presence in the Geelong area and western Victoria.

As for us, :(. It's obvious why the club pushed hard for inclusion next year - they knew the longer it went without expansion, the more they'd be shifted to the back of the queue.

That's probably true, but hopefully it doesn't go that way. If you do miss out you could slide drastically down the pecking order though. If the AFL are serious about 'priority weighting' (and they should be), then Essendon, Hawthorn, and GC won't get near it this time, but it'll be a free-for-all for expansion #3.

Reckon youre misreading the tea leaves there

Id love the tigs to be in, but i wouldnt be my house on it right now. Most clubs appear to be making constructive and well developed bids, so "good" bids will no doubt miss out

If North go through with playing the Tassie card I could easily see a situation where they bring in 4 licenses and we're the only club with a provisional one not to get a team. I still don't know what our point of difference is (aside from 'big 4') that lifts our bid up above the others.

Id say Geelong are near certainties this time around IMO. North make a strong case if it includes Tassie. The others I could take or leave depending on how many sides the league goes for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back