AFLW 2019 Expansion - Welcome North/Tas and Geelong (WCE, GC, Rich, Stk in 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure anyone here has mentioned it yet, but on another website - let's call it ... Le Growl, a discussion on men's SOO and Tasmanian fitba in general raised the prospect of a Tassie women's team to get things started.

Got me thinking, could a Tasmanian Saints (in conjunction with St Kilda) work? I'll put my hand up and admit to having NFI if either Tasmanians or Saints fans would be interested in the slightest.

Not sure anyone here has mentioned it yet, but on another website - let's call it ... Le Growl, a discussion on men's SOO and Tasmanian fitba in general raised the prospect of a Tassie women's team to get things started.

Got me thinking, could a Tasmanian Saints (in conjunction with St Kilda) work? I'll put my hand up and admit to having NFI if either Tasmanians or Saints fans would be interested in the slightest.

You can replace saints with roos and your pretty much on the money
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-16/roos-and-tasmania-combine-for-aflw-bid

While the Saints have not made any mention of a bid today it would seem they did make a bid as well, with Sydney and Port only teams not to be bidders.
The AFL has confirmed the list of clubs that have submitted a bid to join the NAB AFL Women's competition in 2019. They confirmed Essendon, Geelong, Gold Coast, Hawthorn, North Melbourne, Richmond, St Kilda and West Coast have all applied for a licence.
https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/afl/news/only-two-clubs-officially-fail-to-bid-for-an-aflw-side

Geelong, North Melbourne, Richmond, St Kilda and West Coast, who were granted provisional licenses for the inaugural season but were unsuccessful, will be given priority weighting in the selection process.

Essendon, Gold Coast and Hawthorn are also pushing for their own team, with the Hawks promising to play games in Tasmania and regional Victoria if selected.

The Bombers are promising to take the game to the Northern Territory, including hosting a game in a remote indigenous community.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/af...e/news-story/778c5d01bc711af29c059cc953249b52

I dont think so. Queensland footy is going great guns for womens participation at the moment. And Lions AFLW crowds/support was pretty good. Giving them a derby early might not be a bad idea.

Participation is a big deal, but their membership is tiny, the AFL surely wouldn't give a license to a team that very few people are going to watch when there are some huge clubs bidding.

Participation is a big deal, but their membership is tiny, the AFL surely wouldn't give a license to a team that very few people are going to watch when there are some huge clubs bidding.

AFL Womens is still as much about promotion and development as it is anything else. Having two teams in queensland early would be a boon for the womens game up there.

Final submissions are in, 8 clubs put their hands up ...

West Coast and Gold Coast should be first to allow for weekly games in WA and Qld and state club rivalries.

If they take 4 then Geelong because they are out of Metropolitan Melbourne and North/Tasmania because North have indicated they will drive the team primarily from Tasmania.

The other 4 submissions are all from inner Melbourne clubs and we need not rush to end up with another Melbourne centric competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From News.com.au

WHO’S BIDDING?

ST KILDA

– Has provisional licence.
– Has made two pushes to be included in the competition.
– High participation numbers in bayside academy zone.
– New Moorabbin base can cater for a women’s team. Also wants to play games there as well as Sandringham and Frankston.
– Medium club size and membership base.

GEELONG
– Made strong push to be included in 2018 after it was denied a 2017 licence.
Now has a VFL Women’s team which currently sits fourth on the ladder after four games.
– Committed to developing women’s football in the region.
– Has the resources, framework and facilities to support a women’s team.

RICHMOND

Has provisional licence.
– Big focus on league’s biggest Next Generation academy zone through northern and central Victoria, and is determined to be a destination of choice for indigenous and multicultural talent. Home to Korin Gamadji Institute and has a Reconciliation Action Plan in place.
– Aligned with Bendigo Thunder and has had a strong focus on gender equity.
– Hopes to play games at Punt Road and in academy zone.
– Has women’s football operations manager already in place.
– Strong commercial support and membership base, but is close in proximity to Collingwood and Carlton, which already compete in AFLW.

NORTH MELBOURNE
– Have held a strong presence in women’s football, having formed the AFL’s first official partnership with a women’s club in Melbourne University Women’s Football Club — which uses the facilities at Arden Street — in 2010.
– Submission includes intention to further build the club’s Tasmanian presence via the women’s game and — pending further discussions — play matches on the Apple Isle and potentially have a Tasmanian presence in team name and jumper. Also proposing to play day matches at Arden Street where possible.
– Has proposed a facility upgrade to Victorian government that could include female team facilities, but final framework is not due until the end of this year. Club size and membership base (13th in competition in 2016) could be a factor considered by the league.

WEST COAST

– Has significant access to talent. Women’s football in Western Australia very strong with approximately 80,000 participants, and current growth in youth leagues indicate that the state can support two teams.
– Work closely with multicultural and indigenous youth.
– Intends to incorporate AFLW requirements into new training facility and reports to already have commercial interest in women’s football.

ESSENDON
– Does not have provisional licence.
– Has plans to grow and develop pathways in remote Northern Territory communities. Wants to play the first ever AFLW game in a remote indigenous community in its first season if successful.
– Wants to play games at club’s former Windy Hill base.
– Submission also includes a proposed $18 million facility upgrade at the club’s Tullamarine base to include women’s changerooms and an indigenous component.
– Bid fronted by football-playing daughter of club great Michael Long, Michaela.

HAWTHORN
– Does not have provisional licence.
– Enforcing its position as “the family club”.
– Wants to play games in Tasmania. Men’s team currently plays games in Launceston.
– Plans to recruit out of Next Generation Academy zone in Gippsland.
– Has a VFL Women’s team — Box Hill.

GOLD COAST
- Does not have provisional licence.
– Bid launched on Friday.
– Has access to strong Queensland talent pool.
– Facilities are ready to accommodate a women’s team from both training and base perspective.

NOT BIDDING
Sydney, Port Adelaide

THE FRONTRUNNERS
Geelong, Richmond, St Kilda, West Coast, North Melbourne

@LaurenA_Wood

Suns will be first cab off the rank being the AFL's child. The AFLW team up there may outlive the men's team the way Queensland footy is

Surely Hawthorn, Essendon and Gold Coast can’t get a team this time around. Priority really should be going to Geelong, North Melbourne, Richmond & St. Kilda. The question is what order. West Coast is logically the next interstate club, but the next two clubs probably should be Victorian given the spread of talent in 2018/2019.

*Geelong aren’t Melbourne based and are a logical addition given their region - though talent was an issue last time. Probably the favourite though I assume.
*North Melbourne pairing with Tasmania like Adelaide did with the NT will help their bid. The more involvement Tasmania has the better this bid’s prospects will be.
*Richmond have the bigger supported base and a logical venue at Punt Road. Though don’t really offer anything in terms of covering a new region.
*St. Kilda whilst they will play games at Moorabbin they can emphasise the bayside area like Frankston and Sandringham as a region of focus. Though you could argue Melbourne have this covered via Casey.

I think it’ll be tempting to give those four the go ahead in 2019. They would all appeal for different reasons.

I'd say Geelong, north and west coast are certainties.

Question is whether you give st Kilda one or go with Gold Coast.

I'd be intrigued with Essendon bid.
Not only would their bid be fighting the other 7, but the afl would have to take into account how it effects adelaide. Sa is the weakest state for women's footy. If you steal the nt talent away, you could hurt the crows. Though, considering they just won the whole bloody thing, it mightn't seem like a big risk. And there has been large growth in sa this year, so a Melbourne club might need that access more than the crows by around 2020ish.

I'd go 2019 - Geelong, north, west coast and.......Gold Coast (that is a hard decision for me. St Kilda has done more work, they probably deserve one, but the opportunity Gold Coast provides is too strong for me)

Then in the final intake, bring in the other 4 (hawks, saints, tigers and bombers)

I noticed that Hawthorn was able to get around the problem of no suitable Home Venue by using (Ikon ) Princes Park, Tasmania and some in Gippsland. Back to the old days when Hawthorn played at Optus Oval.
Makes sense, although surely they could play at Box Hill and only move to Ikon if a large crowd was expected. Love the Gippsland/ Tassie part.

Part of me thinks that Port didn't bid as much as the unlikelihood of actually succeeding, SA talent is still a fair bit behind WA/QLD/VIC so any 2nd SA team out of state-based players would get absolutely demolished. Why go to through the costly expense of actually constructing a bid (paying people to physically construct it) when you know it's going to fail anyway on the basis of the quality of talent you're constructing a team from?

Makes sense, although surely they could play at Box Hill and only move to Ikon if a large crowd was expected. Love the Gippsland/ Tassie part.
Box Hill City Oval's a cricket ground in the summer. You can't just kick out male and female cricket teams that have been using the ground for decades.

*St. Kilda whilst they will play games at Moorabbin they can emphasise the bayside area like Frankston and Sandringham as a region of focus. Though you could argue Melbourne have this covered via Casey.
I understand what you're saying, but I doubt distance would have as much impact on St Kilda as what it ought to have on the other Melbourne teams. Casey is a lot further away from Frankston, Sandringham and Moorabbin than many of the inner clubs are from each other, and there is plenty of population in the South East to at least attend games for a couple of teams. As the city has grown generations have progressively moved further out, so many of us have inherited teams that are not local to us. I grew up out that way, and know more people who support Brisbane (by association with Fitzroy) than Melbourne or St Kilda, despite the proximity (edit: I should note that Brisbane is a tiny minority, even then! Most of us support one of the big four). I guess migrant populations are the next great frontier for teams looking to build a following out this way.

You can only have 8 destinations in google maps. Richmond is halfway between Collingwood and Hawthorn, so I've omitted those two although I've included Hawthorn's training base in Mulgrave instead. I also omitted the Bulldogs, given their focus is on Western Victoria. Ballarat is about 110km west of Essendon compared to Geelong's 80km south-west, just for reference. Sorry it's tiny and/or blurry, file size restrictions are a pain :D

In order from the left-most point:
Geelong FC (Simonds Stadium, Geelong)
Essendon FC (True Value Solar Centre, Tullamarine - although Windy Hill is closer and Craigieburn is further away)
Carlton FC (Ikon Park, Carlton North)
North Melbourne FC (Arden Street, North Melbourne)
[Collingwood FC, Holden Centre, Melbourne]
Richmond FC (Punt Road, Richmond)
[Hawthorn, the suburb]
Hawthorn FC (Waverley Park, Mulgrave - Box Hill is north of there, smack bang in the middle of the Eastern Suburbs)
St Kilda FC (Moorabbin, Sandringham, Frankston)
Melbourne FC (Casey Fields, Cranbourne)

Screen Shot 2017-06-18 at 10.21.15 am.png

If proximity, following, local talent, and growing the game are important then North Melbourne, Hawthorn and Richmond will need to have put more work into that part of their bids given that Carlton and Collingwood already have teams and occupy that part of town. Of course, North Melbourne has ties with Tasmania, which helps their case, and Hawthorn have Tas to a lesser extent as well as the eastern suburbs.

Last edited:
Geelong is a monty. For a second vic slot, with the afl it could be anyone. I wouldnt even bet a beer on which club will get up
If its two teams, my money is on West Coast an Essendon. Always out your money on the money.
If four, then Geelong and Hawthorn probably get added.
Merit of bids, already having been provisionally accepted, not bothering to puit a bid in previously; none of that will matter compared to size of brand.
Gold Coast may be an exception because "expansion market".

If its two teams, my money is on West Coast an Essendon. Always out your money on the money.
If four, then Geelong and Hawthorn probably get added.
Merit of bids, already having been provisionally accepted, not bothering to puit a bid in previously; none of that will matter compared to size of brand.
Gold Coast may be an exception because "expansion market".
Would be genuinely staggered if Essendon get it. I suspect Essendon would be staggered. In my opinion their bid this time is to make sure they get in next time. Missing this expansion and the next would be a disaster.

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back