2019 Expectations

Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
brisbane lions
We have plenty of midfield experience and depth, we just need to keep them on the park...

Walters - 18 games
Fyfe - 15 games
SHill - 13 games
Blakely - 13 games
Sandi - 11 games
BHill - 10 games
Bennell - 0 games

Compare that to West Coast's midfielders:

Yeo - 25 games
Redden - 25 games
Masten - 24 games
Shuey - 20 games
Hutchings - 20 games
Gaff - 19 games
Sheed - 18 games
Naitanui - 15 games

Neale (and Mundy) were our only experienced mids who didn't miss a game. Langdon only missed one game. Plus like I've said a million times, we often lined up 1st year mids in the middle even when we had more experienced options on the field. Ross played da youf and backed them in.

The addition of Conca, Colyer and Bewley plus an extra pre-season into Brayshaw, Cerra, Banfield, Tucker, Crowden, Giro, North and Valente gives us loads of options. Keep that core above on the park longer and our midfield will be fine. Give it a year or two and it will be back to one of the best.
Still surprised when I saw a midfield of cerra, brayshaw, Langdon, giro, banfield (whos only 20 in first season) actually function and even beat ports midfield when Neale was on the bench.

Carnthedockers

Premiership Player
Aug 31, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Love this quote from Trav Colyer today
Sorry it may come out side ways

Attachments

• 1E7E156F-50C0-4CBD-A4DF-89F48D7913C5.jpeg
    1E7E156F-50C0-4CBD-A4DF-89F48D7913C5.jpeg
    580.8 KB · Views: 293

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Love this quote from Trav Colyer today
Sorry it may come out side ways
This might help...

“I think it’s fantastic for WA football that West Coast won the flag. You look at it from Freo’s perspective — you’ve got a brand new stadium, the hype in WA football is buzzing and, regardless of where you are on the ladder, if you’re not beating West Coast, it doesn’t really matter so there’s further motivation to knock off the reigning premiers.
“For Freo especially, all things are pointing up.
“It would be pretty nice to knock them off in my first derby at the stadium, and say: ‘You guys are 2018, we’re 2019’.”

https://thewest.com.au/sport/freman...cruit-travis-colyer-thinks-big-ng-b881070980z

Happy to insert articles by Bridget Lacy (or Paul Duffield) but most of the rest at The West can GAGF.

Carnthedockers

Premiership Player
Aug 31, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
This might help...

“I think it’s fantastic for WA football that West Coast won the flag. You look at it from Freo’s perspective — you’ve got a brand new stadium, the hype in WA football is buzzing and, regardless of where you are on the ladder, if you’re not beating West Coast, it doesn’t really matter so there’s further motivation to knock off the reigning premiers.
“For Freo especially, all things are pointing up.
“It would be pretty nice to knock them off in my first derby at the stadium, and say: ‘You guys are 2018, we’re 2019’.”

https://thewest.com.au/sport/freman...cruit-travis-colyer-thinks-big-ng-b881070980z

Happy to insert articles by Bridget Lacy (or Paul Duffield) but most of the rest at The West can GAGF.
Sorry I was going for this
After looking at the list, the type of players we have, the culture the boys are building at the club, I think we are going to scare a lot of teams in a lot of ways,” he said.
“I’m very hopeful but there’s no guarantees in footy. The best 22, 25 to 28 guys on the park every week, you look at what we can put up and it’s pretty ominous.

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's reassuring the players and club see the upside of the list as us supporters. We are right on the edge where things exponentially go up as the young guys get more games and pre seasons and our best players are hitting their prime years AND no glaring holes in our list, maybe midfield and small forward depth.

M_rash

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Agreed I truly believe we are gathering a nucleus that will finally deliver us success.
It’s so hard to tell because most of our list has barely even played more than 20 games. Optimists will say there’s so much upside, pessimists will say there’s nobody proven yet.

We just don’t know who our next Sheridan, Sutty, D.Pearces are, or who the next Fyfe, McPharlin or Mundy is either. It sure is fun speculating though!

One thing is certain though - ROSS IS THE BOSS!!! We have the right man at the helm. With the list and injuries we have had, to eek out 8 wins in both the past seasons is truly unbelievable!

yoong

Club Legend
May 9, 2013
3,919 km from Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’m kind of optimistic.
I’ve alway felt that the lack of a legitimate scoring threat not only held us back in terms of scores on the board. It added additional stress to the the midfield and even defense when the opponent do not have to worry about putting too many numbers back, knowing we are unlikely to score from our inside 50s.

Hopefully, we’ll have a healthy Hogan, Lobb, Tabs and Cox available and firing. I hope we will not be afraid to play “too tall” forward if they have managed to hit form in the preseason. I’ll take scoring prowess over forward pressure.

I’ll really expecting us to win more matches than we loss, so 11-12 wins.

Back