2019 Expectations

Remove this Banner Ad

Certainly enjoying the last two weeks and how we’re progressing. We look so much different this year to the last 4 years and it’s great. I don’t know what’s happened at the club since preseason to change us so much but I like it and hope it continues.

Last year we were regularly fielding a side with 4-5 players under 10 games. This year the majority of our team have 3-4 preseasons under their belt. This was a big reason Coyler and Conca were brought in.

Our rebuild has honestly been pretty epic.

In no particular order and off the top of my head:

Hogan, Lobb, Conca, Colyer, Matera, Hill, Hamling, Kersten, Bennell, Wilson, McCarthy

That's half a 22 and questions marks on a few but at the same time they're in an age bracket that fills a gap and allows us to develop some youth.

We could build towards something. No limits on this season, but next year needs to be some serious dents in the finals.

Probably needs 1 or 2 guys to just pop like Langdon did. If Tucker, Brayshaw, Cerra, Darcy type guys can just lift the bottom end of our best 22, then why not a chance of a flag within 1-4 years.

Someone like Coniglio would be bloody delicious.

The sad thing is the exact sort of guy we need is Lachie Neale!

its actually not though lol, we need a cogs or kelly who has more attacking power! deadset reckon we need neither if Blakely can do what we know he can! Blakely has the potential to be a josh kennedy (swans) type!
You are right.

If Blakely and SHill come back in...

If Valente, Sturt, Carter become players....

That all puts us very close to where we want to be.

Next 5 games are so clutch.

Adelaide away
Tigers home
Essendon away
Lions home
Collingwood away

We could play well in all of those games and lose every one. Some untimely returns to form for some of those teams also.

I'd be happy if we could at least win 2 of those 5 and still have more wins than losses at the bye.

Adelaide away
Tigers home
Essendon away
Lions home
Collingwood away

We could play well in all of those games and lose every one. Some untimely returns to form for some of those teams also.

I'd be happy if we could at least win 2 of those 5 and still have more wins than losses at the bye.

I agree 100%. Because of the Grundy factor Collingwood will smack us but the other four games I don't see why we won't be a fighting chance. 2-3 is the most likely outcome

Adelaide away
Tigers home
Essendon away
Lions home
Collingwood away

2 out of 5 is loser talk that's ingrained in all Freo supporters. Ordinarily I'd agree BUT we simply have to win our 2 home games. We're completely different on field with best 22 and with our style. So why not.

Then we must pinch 1 of those games away.

Why bloody not?

I went to my first game last night and I couldn't believe the number of guys we had set up in front of the play. That's NEVER happened and is something you don't appreciate watching on TV.

In fact Walters was parked in the middle of the 50m so many times it was actually frustrating we didn't look in there more often... that will come but structurally it was pleasing.

Win 3 of our next 5 and we are 100% finals bound. Win 4 and we may start talking top 4. Win 5? Book your September flights.

Win 1-2? We're fighting with 14 other teams for finals.

Win 0? Jeepers. Sack Ross... play the kids...

We should be able to win both our home games. Richmond don't play that well in Perth traditionally - didn't travel well at all last year, and we should also be able to beat Brisbane.

I think we can win at least one of the other 3. Let's start with Adelaide - I think we can cover their forwards if we break even in the midfield, and we have a lot of different options in attack. Let's hope it doesn't get too dewy in Adelaide though.

I’m not getting my hopes up but with the evenness of the competition and such a young list, I’m still expecting a 10th-15th finish.

We should be able to win both our home games. Richmond don't play that well in Perth traditionally - didn't travel well at all last year, and we should also be able to beat Brisbane.

I think we can win at least one of the other 3. Let's start with Adelaide - I think we can cover their forwards if we break even in the midfield, and we have a lot of different options in attack. Let's hope it doesn't get too dewy in Adelaide though.
Richmond do play well in Perth. They beat us a number of times here. That will.be a very tough game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide away
Tigers home
Essendon away
Lions home
Collingwood away

If we’re confident and brave, we should beat Adelaide. Get it it’s Adelaide Oval, but no reason why we can’t do it now. They’re not great atm. Gold Coast and St Kilda.
Richmond at home.. I back us. Essendon away is another fun one. But they’re all out attack, and we have the defence for it. Brisbane here.. I’m sure we ll be hungry as to beat them after they walloped us.
Not scare or worried about that fixture tbh list. After beating GWS in Canberra, the squad has found another belief, ceiling of confidence.
Can’t see why we can’t be 4-1. Got players coming back, forward line gelling week by week. Defence a rock. It’s building momentum

I am not surprised by where we are at one bit... the trading and drafting of the last few years has been mind bogglingy good.

How we turned Weller into pick 2.. Hamling for next to nothing (the dogs would kill for him in their team now and he hasn’t reached his peak yet imo).. Wilson for cheap - matera cheap - McCarthy - Brad hill for mayne (who is playing well but not hills level) the Darcy - Logue - Cox and Ryan draft.. hogan and Lobb... conca and Colyer are proving good value

All for the loss of Neale and Weller.

Having said all that - my expectations may change if we win 3 of the next five but other than that I was expecting 10-12 wins for the season and a heap of development.

If we get to the bye at 7-4 then we should be able to win the following at a minimum:

Carlton
Syd
Essendon

And we should give a couple of the following a shake:

Port (home)
Scum (home)
Mel (away)
WB (away)
Gee (home) - would be a massive win
Haw (graveyard) - another massive game

That would put us right in the mix for a 5-8 finish.

I’ll revisit my expectations if we can win three of the next five. If we do that then... bloody hell it should be an exciting ride!

* it, we have a team capable of playing finals this year, and that's honestly what I think we'll do. I haven't felt this good about our team for 4-5 years, we're a team that can make the top 8, and is likely capable of snatching some finals games. The team is seemingly starting to gel together, all we need is Blakely now to truly give this team a full strength crack. In terms of our next 5 I honestly think it'll be

Adelaide- win
Richmond- win
Essendon- lose
Brisbane- win
Collingwood- lose

I only put us losing to Essendon because we'll probably drop one of our away games but ideally we should be beating all those teams except Collingwood realistically.

**** it, we have a team capable of playing finals this year, and that's honestly what I think we'll do. I haven't felt this good about our team for 4-5 years, we're a team that can make the top 8, and is likely capable of snatching some finals games. The team is seemingly starting to gel together, all we need is Blakely now to truly give this team a full strength crack. In terms of our next 5 I honestly think it'll be

Adelaide- win
Richmond- win
Essendon- lose
Brisbane- win
Collingwood- lose

I only put us losing to Essendon because we'll probably drop one of our away games but ideally we should be beating all those teams except Collingwood realistically.

Our recent form against Brisbane has been diabolical, so it’ll be a big turn around to win that one but I agree, we’re building nicely and our game structure and method is different than it has ever been so we’re a chance. It’ll be interesting!

The only teams I am looking at for now and got "Crikeys, nup" are Geelong and Collingwood. They are obviously looking really good. But after them, it just has a feel that the finals landscape opens right up.

My expectations were that we end the year in the 6-10 range, and probably still sit there, but you can sniff an opportunity.

I have a worry, which is that I had always seen 2019 about being prep for 2020. Pushing for finals, and hopefully getting a shot is great prep, but on my To Do List would also have been getting debuts into Valente, Bewley, Carter and even Sturt. Also, we are doing ok with Lobb but that wasn't the plan. Surely the plan was to develop Darcy and Lobb into the best ruck duo in the comp. That may not be our best current option, but in terms of 2020, now is the time to be developing that combination.

If we somehow did grab a win in Adelaide does it become more about 2019 and let 2020 take care of itself? Probably does.

I post this here because someone mentioned getting pantsed by Grundy. Perhaps it belongs in the stats section.

Yesterday what made me nervous was our inability to win clearances. We, surprisingly, won the hit outs but lost center clearances. Most significantly when we struggled in Q3 it was on the back of poor center clearances.
Why this is interesting to me is that the commentary of the Collingwood game had Grundy dominating hit outs but Collingwood convincingly loosing the centre clearances to 3qtr time. For such a good midfield it’s a surprising weekness

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I post this here because someone mentioned getting pantsed by Grundy. Perhaps it belongs in the stats section.

Yesterday what made me nervous was our inability to win clearances. We, surprisingly, won the hit outs but lost center clearances. Most significantly when we struggled in Q3 it was on the back of poor center clearances.
Why this is interesting to me is that the commentary of the Collingwood game had Grundy dominating hit outs but Collingwood convincingly loosing the centre clearances to 3qtr time. For such a good midfield it’s a surprising weekness

Are clearances per se an issue for us this year? I think we have been doing ok. I've also seen comments that Lobb was "beaten" by English, but I didn't see it that way (really like how English is shaping up by the way). Your point re Grundy and the Collingwood midfield is well made.

I watched the replay. Libba focused on sharking taps to Fyfe. That's why we need second (Barra) and third (Blakely) options for Lobb to tap to otherwise other teams will just copy.

OTOH, I can see RBB doing everything in his power to beat Brisbane in Perth. He wouldn't want the media going to town on him (re Neale) the following week disrupting the focus, or just because...

Are clearances per se an issue for us this year? I think we have been doing ok. I've also seen comments that Lobb was "beaten" by English, but I didn't see it that way (really like how English is shaping up by the way). Your point re Grundy and the Collingwood midfield is well made.
Unfortunately Lobb, while tall, is not a great tap ruckman so he gets his hand to it a lot but isn't necessarily going to put it to the right spaces for our mids. This is where Sean Darcy a "pure' ruckman excels, his taps are generally put into advantageous positions for our midfield. Rory will make a great backup ruckman, but once Sean is fully fit (I don't think he is yet) I'd have him back in the team. It will make us tall with Darcy, Lobb, Taberner and Hogan but with the exception of Darcy they are all quite athletic and reasonably good movers. With rotations there will often be one of them on the bench, and providing we have all our rotations intact we can deliberately play less ground time for them if we need more leg speed.

With Cox we have a ready made replacement should one of Taberner and Hogan get injured, and if Darcy or Lobb is injured Taberner can play second ruck with Jones as a "break glass in emergency" backup ruck.

For me the formula now is getting Blakely back and getting lots of games into Brayshaw and Cerra while somehow managing North into the mix to see how he fares at the top level. The only area I am really concerned about is midfied depth and I think that is slowly but surely taking care of itself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back