2019 F1 Championship - Round 1 - Australian Grand Prix

I would have thought Hulkenburg getting 7th was pretty close to what Renault promised Ricciardo this year. They'll push for a podium on tracks that suit (and will need some luck) and try to get minor points for both cars more often then not.
I think for Dan, if that concrete lip on the edge of the straight wasn't there, the start he had would have surely seen him lifted up into somewhere around 9th-10th by the first corner and he probably would have gone on to finish in the points from there as well. All hypothetical, but I'm assuming his early retirement and sluggish pace after the accident was a result of damage sustained during that accident at the start. Not the start you want but he'll be a regular in the points this year for sure. Renault and Haas seem to be a clear step ahead of the rest.

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
I think for Dan, if that concrete lip on the edge of the straight wasn't there, the start he had would have surely seen him lifted up into somewhere around 9th-10th by the first corner and he probably would have gone on to finish in the points from there as well. All hypothetical, but I'm assuming his early retirement and sluggish pace after the accident was a result of damage sustained during that accident at the start. Not the start you want but he'll be a regular in the points this year for sure. Renault and Haas seem to be a clear step ahead of the rest.

Agree and I think again that 7-10 range, there'll be better and worse races but I reckon that could end up about the average for this year.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
In qualifying trim. The F1 cars are 34 secs quicker than the supercars.

I remember reading a hypothetical for Phillip Island about 10 or 15 years ago. The supercars and moto gp bikes both lapped around the same time, they reckon a properly set up f1 car would be either 30 or 40 secs quicker, which I couldn't quite get my head around.

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
I remember reading a hypothetical for Phillip Island about 10 or 15 years ago. The supercars and moto gp bikes both lapped around the same time, they reckon a properly set up f1 car would be either 30 or 40 secs quicker, which I couldn't quite get my head around.
I've actually had conversation with people about F1 cars at PI. The consensus is 1:00-1:05. They'd be flat through t1 as well.

Aug 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
About to fly home. I think I’m over the disappointment now. Dan made me laugh in his post race interview here: the woman behind him was obviously talking too loud 😂
I suppose you now know how Callum Ferguson's brother feels?

Should take solace from the Eagles GF win. SLow burn to eventfully get up

I remember listening to a story on SEN one time. A caller says that he and his mate went to Monza to support Webber. They sat at the entry to parabolica. This was they year Webber had had a first lap skirmish at Monza and didn't even make it round to parabolica!

Last edited:
I would have thought Hulkenburg getting 7th was pretty close to what Renault promised Ricciardo this year. They'll push for a podium on tracks that suit (and will need some luck) and try to get minor points for both cars more often then not.

You are right, but with Honda clearly starting to come through with a good team around them, Renault has a lot to do to move from 7th to top 3 regularly.

Aug 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Surprised only 28% of people thought Bottas was the driver of the day (presumably most will have been turned off by the fact he lead from start to finish in the fastest car on the grid) but that was about as close to perfection as you're ever going to see. The fact Lewis was never in contention for the race after the turn 3 speaks volumes of how good Valteri was today.
You were saying?

vb.jpg

Bedi

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 8, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Riccardio went wide but didnt deserve that kind of damage. Seemed like a defect in the track from what i saw. Charlie Whiting wouldn't allow that to slip through...

GCStormie

Team Captain
Aug 29, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
WCE, Renault F1, Scorchers
Riccardio went wide but didnt deserve that kind of damage. Seemed like a defect in the track from what i saw. Charlie Whiting wouldn't allow that to slip through...
I dont think so. have you seen how low the wings are on all the cars? A williams lost a wing, and I'd suggest that Leclerc went close when he went into the grass. (you could see in the footage where it had shaved the grass up into the nose on the ferrari.)
I think we'll be seeing a lot of wing replacements this year especially with all the rookie drivers driving at tracks they haven't raced before.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
Hasn’t it been like that for years?
That path has been there for as long as I can remember

Here's an image of the grid of an F3 race in 2006 where you can see it.
[IMG='width:566px;']https://cdn-2.latimages.com/images/mgl/A2YAx/s3/open-uri20120929-1676-1uliseg.jpg[/IMG]

It's also not the only track that has a path in the grass from the track to the pit wall - see this image from Spa
[IMG='width:564px;']https://www.blogcdn.com/slideshows/images/slides/851/219/S851219/slug/l/2013-belgian-grand-prix-003-1.jpg[/IMG]

The only thing someone could potentially have an issue with is maybe how the grass has been cut (assuming it was left longer than usual this year).

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
That path has been there for as long as I can remember

Here's an image of the grid of an F3 race in 2006 where you can see it.
[IMG='width:566px;']https://cdn-2.latimages.com/images/mgl/A2YAx/s3/open-uri20120929-1676-1uliseg.jpg[/IMG]

It's also not the only track that has a path in the grass from the track to the pit wall - see this image from Spa
[IMG='width:564px;']https://www.blogcdn.com/slideshows/images/slides/851/219/S851219/slug/l/2013-belgian-grand-prix-003-1.jpg[/IMG]

The only thing someone could potentially have an issue with is maybe how the grass has been cut (assuming it was left longer than usual this year).
I assume it would help with the pit crew carrying all that heavy equipment onto the grid from the garage

Aug 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
2014: Lewis Hamilton
2015: Lewis Hamilton
2016: Nico Rosberg
2017: Lewis Hamilton
2018: Lewis Hamilton
2019: Valtteri Bottas ?

Great drive from Bottas today, lets hope he can maintain this type of competitiveness. Although it does worry me a little as to how shocked he was that he had pace today.
I think it's too early to tell for the title. If the damaged floor is legit, that'd put his pace in context and hopefully keep him focused for the rest of the season. If nothing else, Bottas should perform a more assertive season this year.

Disappointing that Leclerc isn't allowed to race Vettel this year.
If Leclerc is allowed to go for it, Vettel can then be more aggressive defensively. It was a conservative decision and wasn't worth it considering 3rd is no chance. It's one where the team will recognise Leclerc complied and will make up for it later on in the season.

Back