2019 F1 Championship Round 13 - Belgian Grand Prix

Remove this Banner Ad

It easy to crack the s**ts over Renault with Ricciardo's strategy, but it was a gamble. Nobody knew for certain what was the best strategy to take.

I said "no" in an earlier post, and now I'll try elaborate as you asked.

Leclerc having a spell of form over Vettel in the situation they're currently in (Ferrari being clearly 2nd best to MB) doesn't mean much imo.

Leclerc doesn't have any experience to draw off, and Vettel has heaps. There would be situations where Vettel probably couldn't give a s**t (It's not the first time a team mate has got the better of Vettel, but he's always reestablished himself later on).

A couple of races ago at Hockenheim, Leclerc ended up in the wall while Vettel charged his way through the field. So what do you make of that?

Tottenham beat Man City in the CL 1/4 final last season. It doesn't mean Tottenham is better than Man City, doesn't it?
To be fair, I won't dispute Vettel's experience advantage (which is clear), but my position is more about the raw talent. All things being equal, Leclerc has been more likely to take a win for Ferrari than Vettel this season (Canada controversy not withstanding). He has to refine his skills and use Vettel's experience, but his raw pace is, to me, quicker than Vettel's.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

Raw pace because he has nothing else. But if you were inferring that he's better because of it? Then I'd disagree. There's heaps of examples like this in motorsport.
I think repeatedly out-qualifying an established team leader and multi world champion in your first season with a high pressure outfit like Ferrari, in what is also only your 2nd season in F1, as well as being no more error prone than said champion over the past couple of years, indicates more than just raw pace.

Really depends on how you frame the argument.

If you had to pick one of Leclerc or Vettel to win the next F1 race to save your life? Vettel

If you were a team manager and one of them is available and both are demanding equal five year contracts? Leclerc

I think repeatedly out-qualifying an established team leader and multi world champion in your first season with a high pressure outfit like Ferrari, in what is also only your 2nd season in F1, as well as being no more error prone than said champion over the past couple of years, indicates more than just raw pace.

It's a nice spell of qualifying. But no one is going to care even as early as next season unless people want to s**t on Vettel.

Leclerc is not really under pressure this season, as it's his first year with the team and Vettel is there. The drivers aren't under huge pressure no since they no they're no chance for either title and are no threat from RB for second.

It's a credit to him for whatever he's done to beat Vettel. But no big deal as far as the bigger picture goes.

Really depends on how you frame the argument.

If you had to pick one of Leclerc or Vettel to win the next F1 race to save your life? Vettel

If you were a team manager and one of them is available and both are demanding equal five year contracts? Leclerc
No. Not Vettel.
Simply because right now his head is not in the game.
We all know that, we’ve all seen that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back