2019 F1 Championship Round 17 - Japanese Grand Prix

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
There is a revised Timetable for the race weekend due to the typhoon that is hitting on Saturday.

There is NO F1 on Saturday, which means no FP3 and Qualifying will be on Sunday morning, and the race at the usual time (for now).

Qualifying: 12PM EST Sunday (9AM WST)
Race: 4PM EST Sunday (1PM WST)

Note: Apparently if the Typhoon causes further delay and Qualifying can't occur, then its the fastest time in FP2 that will count for the grid.

99tk8n3x7tr31.jpg

Who knows what we can expect from this race, or if we will even get a race. Qualifying a few hours before the race adds a little bit of an unknown as well.

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
This is the second time it's ever happened in F1 history? The first time was in Japan as well. Like Black_White, I like it this way as well. I don't agree with times in a random practice session should set the grid, as it wasn't a fair dinkum session.

I vaguely remember years and years ago in a Champcar race in Germany. They had something happen which meant qualifying couldn't occur. Their rules was to set the grid in championship positions. I agree with that.

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
This is the second time it's ever happened in F1 history? The first time was in Japan as well. Like Black_White, I like it this way as well. I don't agree with times in a random practice session should set the grid, as it wasn't a fair dinkum session.

I vaguely remember years and years ago in a Champcar race in Germany. They had something happen which meant qualifying couldn't occur. Their rules was to set the grid in championship positions. I agree with that.
Random thought..... reverse championship position grid.
Would be a hell of few opening laps.

There was a proposal at some stage to make Qualifying a race, and have some sort of reverse grid for that.
Hope not but I heard the same thing. Crofty was all for it.
Heres the thing. 1/2 distance sprint race was the suggestion with reverse grid order.

You really think that the 3 top teams cant pass cars 14 - 1 in 30 odd laps. Ends with same results... needs more engines, higher cost and bigger teams still win.
And the 3 stage Quali format works and is prety damn good for the most part - sans the stalling for clean track rubbish.

dont fix what ain broken IMO ( there are some touch ups that they can do I agree there)

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Heres the thing. 1/2 distance sprint race was the suggestion with reverse grid order.

You really think that the 3 top teams cant pass cars 14 - 1 in 30 odd laps. Ends with same results... needs more engines, higher cost and bigger teams still win.
And the 3 stage Quali format works and is prety damn good for the most part - sans the stalling for clean track rubbish.

dont fix what ain broken IMO ( there are some touch ups that they can do I agree there)
Agree

The effort is better spent coming up with engine and aero regs that reduce the gap between the Top 3 and the rest.

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood

The 3 teams might get back to the front.
In a race with no contact, no breakdowns then definitely.
But those 3 teams get to “the same result” now without having to actually race.
We would see what we crave, overtaking and wheel to wheel racing.
As a spectator, wheres the downside?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Skull Face

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2019
Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
The Renault is losing out massively in the high speed downforce sections, such a massive weakness they haven't addressed all year.

Back