2019 F1 Championship Round 5 - Spanish Grand Prix

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
After a week off, the championship battle continues in the Circuit de Catalunya this weekend for the Spanish Grand Prix. This is a similar track in profile to Melbourne, and there isn't usually a lot of overtaking that gets done either.

Despite Ferrari's new engine upgrades, and their pace during pre season around this circuit, the early pace suggests that Mercedes are going to have a good race. I'm just glad we have a somewhat determined Bottas this year, that isn't looking to be a number 2 driver anymore.

Renault have brought an engine upgrade as well. Lets hope it doesn't catch fire is about the best you can wish for, as they seem to be in a tough battle just to score points at the moment.

Race Details
Qualifying: 11PM EST Saturday
Race: 11.10PM EST Sunday

Wouldn't mind if Bottas wins the championship this year. He certainly seems to have changed from last year.

From all reports a nice guy and would make a change from the usual Ham vs Seb circus.

Ricciardo dragging the sh*tbox known as the Renault to Q3 should also be recognised. Will start P13 because of his brainfade in Baku but should be a contender for points you'd think.

Looking like it'll be yet another Mercedes procession tonight

Correct, would need a massive disaster like the same race 3 years ago to upset the 1-2 that's almost inevitable.

Hamilton's Q3 time was still comfortably ahead of Vettel even with a couple of moments running well wide. Ferrari have come with a lower downforce package to keep them competitive with Mercedes in sectors 1 and 2 but this leaves them absolutely murdered in sector 3.

Things seem civil between Hamilton and Bottas for now. I wonder how many more times Lewis can handle being beaten by a teammate before he starts crying conspiracy like he did with Rosberg.

I still remember his comment "you'll have to read my book in 10 years to find out" when asked why he had soo many mechanical faults in 2016.

Things seem civil between Hamilton and Bottas for now. I wonder how many more times Lewis can handle being beaten by a teammate before he starts crying conspiracy like he did with Rosberg.

I still remember his comment "you'll have to read my book in 10 years to find out" when asked why he had soo many mechanical faults in 2016.

Let's be fair here, every top driver that begins to be usurped by a clear number 2 driver becomes whiny. Hamilton is the easy target for many because he keeps winning. If Seb started being outpointed consistently by LeClerc you can expect the same over analysis of his team radio and Twitter posts and FIA press conferences. Hell, even our own Danny Ric clearly had issues with Verstappen displaying his talents last year (when he kept his car out of the barriers and other people) and that helped precipitate the Renault move. That is life in F1 - if you don't perform, you're gone. There are thousands around the world jostling for a chance at one of 20 seats.

I’m looking at RB and wondering if their development this year is being hampered by the youth of their drivers.
They may yet regret letting Dan go.

Verstappen is doing better than I expected and he's not that young any more. Gasly is the mistake but RB will back him in this year. It's a transition year for them as they get used to Honda. They won't regret letting Ricciardo go, not yet anyway.

Verstappen is 21. What is FP going on about him not being young anymore?

In races they both finished, Riccardo outscored Verstappen 158-141. He won just as many races as Verstappen and was the only RB driver to score a PP (2).

What issues did Ricciardo clearly have with when Verstappen displayed his talents last year?

Verstappen is 21. What is FP going on about him not being young anymore?

In races they both finished, Riccardo outscored Verstappen 158-141. He won just as many races as Verstappen and was the only RB driver to score a PP (2).

What issues did Ricciardo clearly have with when Verstappen displayed his talents last year?

He's already completed 85 Grand Prixs - that's what I meant.

Ricciardo last year was clearly fazed by Verstappen stringing together good form last year and RB giving preferential treatment to Max (the Baku collision is a great example) and that partly contributed to his move to Renault. See your qualifier of 'in races they both finished'? Ricciardo may have got more points overall when both finished but towards the end his car started giving up on him and Verstappen won both Austria and Mexico towards the end of the year too. Ricciardo did not get a podium outside of his two wins while Max had 11 (including 5 in a row at the end of the year).

Big fan of ADR for obvious reasons and I loved it when Max was beaten by his teammate or put it into the barriers, but the reality is he started to put it together towards the end of last year and it has continued into this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you're meaning the Ricciardo was affected by the overall team situation, then you'd be right. Drivers typically driver at their best when the team/admin support them.

But there's nothing Verstappen has done off his own bat that Ricciardo would have seriously worried about. Guys of a certain calibre can beat Ricciardo fair and square (series of races or whole season), and that happens. But there's no merit imo of Ricciardo losing his grip over it. I don't agree with the comparison.

Max is the type of driver who gets the best out of himself and the car, no matter the car.
I think he's tries hard. But I don't agree with your statement.
I’m thinking that the cars development is lacking more experienced feedback to the engineers with RB’s current line up.
Is this a criticism of the drivers?

Gasly qualified 6th again, which is par for RB. It might be underwhelming for some fans. But if he keeps going, it's 6th again and again. But then it might become 4-5th one day and he's ahead of Verstappen. So idk how he'll be at the end of the season?
The time gap to Verstappen is still quite large though. I think its daylight between RBR and the midfield pack at the moment so 6th is expected, but its the pace in (what we assume is) an identical car that has got to be a concern. Still early days

Remove this Banner Ad

Back