List Mgmt. 2019 FA Targets

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like us to target players like Ben Ainsworth and/or Adam Cerra. Players that are still young and ready to step up. That are interstate and may want to come home. Deals then get done.

What would be overpaying in this instance? He's a $1m/year player.

Better wording may be paying big money to bring in one player. Coniglio is a good player but I wouldn’t pay $1m etc. we have a group of players coming through that will cost a lot.

I personally like to keep bringing in talented players like Setterfield or even a Newman who will prove to be real value for money and will add to our list.

I have yet to see a real big money player take a side to a flag in the era of salary caps & the draft. I just don’t think it works

Would love Grundy, but cannot see why he would leave Collingwood to come to Carlton..

And if anyone posts the old chestnut "but he barracked for Carlton as a kid", I'll ******* dead set spew. :p
He barracked for Carlton as a kid.

Please upload a video of you spewing as proof of you keeping your word.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Better wording may be paying big money to bring in one player. Coniglio is a good player but I wouldn’t pay $1m etc. we have a group of players coming through that will cost a lot.

I personally like to keep bringing in talented players like Setterfield or even a Newman who will prove to be real value for money and will add to our list.

I have yet to see a real big money player take a side to a flag in the era of salary caps & the draft. I just don’t think it works

1 mill a year is fine if we can front load

5 year deal

1.5m
1.5m

Simpson, Murphy and Kreuzer will all come off the books as well before Dow, Charlie, Setterfield etc start demanding giant paydays

1 mill a year is fine if we can front load

5 year deal

1.5m
1.5m

Simpson, Murphy and Kreuzer will all come off the books as well before Dow, Charlie, Setterfield etc start demanding giant paydays

Is the better value Cognilio for $5m over 5 years or get players like Setterfield, McGovern & Newman?

There is no bigger “Team” sport than AFL. I’m not one for paying huge money for one player. Coniglio is a very good player but IMO not worth the money. The player I would consider paying that or slightly more is Kelly and even then I’m uncomfortable out it.

An Ainsworth Brodie McLuggage Cerra etc may be much better value in terms of $ and draft picks.

I was certainly happy we didn’t get Shiel this year.

Next year I hope we get another 2-3 good recruits and 3 talented young draftees

Last edited:
Is the better value Cognilio for $5m over 5 years or get players like Setterfield, McGovern & Newman?

There is no bigger “Team” sport than AFL. I’m not one for paying huge money for one player. Coniglio is a very good player but IMO not worth the money. The player I would consider paying that or slightly more is Kelly and even then I’m uncomfortable out it.

An Ainsworth Brodie McLuggage Cerra etc may be much better value in terms of $ and draft picks.

Next year I hope we get another 2-3 good recruits and 3 talented young draftees

McGovern would be on close to 800k, how do you think we got him to chose us? Plus we had to trade effectively 3 second rounders for him

Cog would come for nothing but cap space and I reckon we could facilitate that by frontloading his contact and not jepodise losing our youngsters to cap pressure.

If we got cog the midfield would be complete and wed only have to look at small forwards, maybe a young ruck and those positions are traditionally filled later in drafts.

Targeting players is just like the game, most times it is better to lower the eyes
It will be interesting watching the trajectory of North Melbourne, while they have had a ping at the stars, they have taken a few from the top of the trees.
Let's see how that pans out, as well as how competitive the Suns can be with state leaguers, recycled and kids filling most of it's list.

McGovern would be on close to 800k, how do you think we got him to chose us? Plus we had to trade effectively 3 second rounders for him

Cog would come for nothing but cap space and I reckon we could facilitate that by frontloading his contact and not jepodise losing our youngsters to cap pressure.

If we got cog the midfield would be complete and wed only have to look at small forwards, maybe a young ruck and those positions are traditionally filled later in drafts.

The 3rd rounder we got back from adelaide in the McGovern deal cancells out the state league player (that we didnt pay for).
McGovern , who was contracted for 2 more seasons , cost 2 picks in the 20's and i reckon time will prove this to be an absolute steal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McGovern would be on close to 800k, how do you think we got him to chose us? Plus we had to trade effectively 3 second rounders for him.

So we’ve already committed a lot of picks and money to someone already. Doing it again makes it even harder.

I was actually happy with the McGovern deal as he is 24, fills several needs and IMO we didn’t overpay.

So we’ve already committed a lot of picks and money to someone already. Doing it again makes it even harder.

I was actually happy with the McGovern deal as he is 24, fills several needs and IMO we didn’t overpay.

My comment was in relation to you alluding to getting cheap picks ups/money ball selections vs big money stars.

We paid a premium price for McGov, they ontraded 2 second rounders for pick 13 and kept McAdam who many say would have gone top 30, plus I'm guessing he'd be on 750-800k as he was unhappy to sign for only 550k at Adelaide.

Not saying I'm unhappy with the deal, McGov could help us for the best tall forward line up in the comp.

I still think we'd be unders in cap space but need to get a long term FA this offseason to take advantage of front loading.

We'll be competing for a flag hopefully by 2021 and struggling with cap space from 2022 onwards.

Cripps will go from 900 - 1.6
Charlie 800-1.4
Harry 300-800
Dow - 400-800
Setterfield - 500-800
Fisher 300 - 650

Plus Weitering, marchbank, O'Brien, SPS

It will be interesting watching the trajectory of North Melbourne, while they have had a ping at the stars, they have taken a few from the top of the trees.
Let's see how that pans out, as well as how competitive the Suns can be with state leaguers, recycled and kids filling most of it's list.

North are intriguing, they have cut a fair bit of youth, while bringing in a decent amount of experience at all levels of quality. While some of those changes look good on paper, I actually have them as the biggest sliders

Out: Jarrad Waite (retired), Billy Hartung (delisted), Tom Jeffries (delisted), Oscar Junker (delisted), Gordon Narrier (delisted), Daniel Nielson (delisted), Josh Williams (delisted), Mitchell Hibberd (delisted), Declan Mountford (delisted), Ryan Clarke (traded to Sydney Swans), Braydon Preuss (traded to Melbourne), Alex Morgan (delisted)

IN: Aaron Hall (traded from Gold Coast Suns), Dom Tyson (traded from Melbourne), Jasper Pittard (traded from Port Adelaide), Jared Polec (traded from Port Adelaide), Red Og Murphy (Category B rookie), Tarryn Thomas (national draft), Curtis Taylor (national draft), Bailey Scott (national draft), Joel Crocker (national draft), Tom McKenzie (rookie draft), Tom Wilkinson (rookie draft)

As for the Suns, they have certainly lost some top end talent, but I think they have strengthened their middle tier quality, while adding some great kids. The coming years are about stability

OUT: Matt Rosa (retired), Michael Barlow (delisted), Josh Jaska (delisted), Max Spencer (delisted), Mackenzie Willis (delisted), Tom Lynch (restricted free agent to Richmond), Aaron Hall (traded to North Melbourne), Jack Scrimshaw (traded to Hawthorn), Steven May (traded to Melbourne), Kade Kolodjashnij (traded to Melbourne), Jesse Lonergan (delisted), Jarryd Lyons (delisted free agent to Brisbane Lions)

IN: Corey Ellis (traded from Richmond), Anthony Miles (traded from Richmond), George Horlin-Smith (traded from Geelong), Jack Hombsch (traded from Port Adelaide), Chris Burgess (pre-listed state league player), Sam Collins (pre-listed state league player), Josh Corbett (pre-listed state league player), Jordan Murdoch (delisted free agent from Geelong), Jack Lukosius (national draft), Izak Rankine (national draft), Ben King (national draft), Jez McLennan (national draft), Caleb Graham (national draft)

Never said that or saw it that way at all

“Is the better value Cognilio for $5m over 5 years or get players like Setterfield, McGovern & Newman?”

Can you clarify this?

“Is the better value Cognilio for $5m over 5 years or get players like Setterfield, McGovern & Newman?”

Can you clarify this?

Fairly straight forward question isn't it? What would people prefer we do?

In a sport that requires you to have around 35 AFL standard players to be successful paying huge money for one player IMO is a big risk

North are intriguing, they have cut a fair bit of youth, while bringing in a decent amount of experience at all levels of quality. While some of those changes look good on paper, I actually have them as the biggest sliders

I tend to agree. I don't mind clubs bringing role or mature players but you also need that "top end" talent to be successful. I don't see North having that. GCS do but it's a few years away and they need depth and to be competitive which I think they have done.

IMO we have the top end talent and a fair bit of it. We just need depth, development and maturity and we are getting close

Fairly straight forward question isn't it? What would people prefer we do?

In a sport that requires you to have around 35 AFL standard players to be successful paying huge money for one player IMO is a big risk

But McGovern is on 800k isn't that huge money?

Cog would only be cap space that can be front loaded. 1mil is as high as id go

Kelly will attract 1.6mil offers, which will be too much as Cripps will likely be on the same

But McGovern is on 800k isn't that huge money?

Cog would only be cap space that can be front loaded. 1mil is as high as id go

Kelly will attract 1.6mil offers, which will be too much as Cripps will likely be on the same

Is McGovern on $800? IMO I wouldn't pay 1.6m for Kelly and I rate him highly. All depends on deals and what we have and what we need.

People keep saying we can front end but we can't keep doing it. Is McGovern, Cripps, Charlie, SPS, Kennedy, Kruezer etc front end? I don't know. I reckon we are now at the stage where we need to start budgeting our list. Over the next 5-8 years Cripps, Charlie, Dow, Walsh, McKay, Weitering, Marchbank etc are going to cost a bit to keep especially as we start becoming more successful.

I'm very happy we didn't get Shiel for example as it allowed us to get Setterfield, Stocker and still have a first rounder in 2019 which wouldn't have happened. IMO we ended up with a much better deal.

Bottom line for me is I like our list and don't see the need to add a "big fish". Keep doing what we are doing and we will be fine

Last edited:

Out: Jarrad Waite (retired), Billy Hartung (delisted), Tom Jeffries (delisted), Oscar Junker (delisted), Gordon Narrier (delisted), Daniel Nielson (delisted), Josh Williams (delisted), Mitchell Hibberd (delisted), Declan Mountford (delisted), Ryan Clarke (traded to Sydney Swans), Braydon Preuss (traded to Melbourne), Alex Morgan (delisted)

IN: Aaron Hall (traded from Gold Coast Suns), Dom Tyson (traded from Melbourne), Jasper Pittard (traded from Port Adelaide), Jared Polec (traded from Port Adelaide), Red Og Murphy (Category B rookie), Tarryn Thomas (national draft), Curtis Taylor (national draft), Bailey Scott (national draft), Joel Crocker (national draft), Tom McKenzie (rookie draft), Tom Wilkinson (rookie draft)

As for the Suns, they have certainly lost some top end talent, but I think they have strengthened their middle tier quality, while adding some great kids. The coming years are about stability

OUT: Matt Rosa (retired), Michael Barlow (delisted), Josh Jaska (delisted), Max Spencer (delisted), Mackenzie Willis (delisted), Tom Lynch (restricted free agent to Richmond), Aaron Hall (traded to North Melbourne), Jack Scrimshaw (traded to Hawthorn), Steven May (traded to Melbourne), Kade Kolodjashnij (traded to Melbourne), Jesse Lonergan (delisted), Jarryd Lyons (delisted free agent to Brisbane Lions)

IN: Corey Ellis (traded from Richmond), Anthony Miles (traded from Richmond), George Horlin-Smith (traded from Geelong), Jack Hombsch (traded from Port Adelaide), Chris Burgess (pre-listed state league player), Sam Collins (pre-listed state league player), Josh Corbett (pre-listed state league player), Jordan Murdoch (delisted free agent from Geelong), Jack Lukosius (national draft), Izak Rankine (national draft), Ben King (national draft), Jez McLennan (national draft), Caleb Graham (national draft)

North's ins are WAY ahead of their outs.

Gold Coast's ins are well below their outs (in the short term) but may come out in front if Luko/Rankine/King stay and do as well as hoped.

North's ins are WAY ahead of their outs.

Gold Coast's ins are well below their outs (in the short term) but may come out in front if Luko/Rankine/King stay and do as well as hoped.

I agree with you on both, but North are really rolling the dice, especially having an older list and limited young talent. Seems like they are trying to cash in again, as they did a couple of years ago. Looks a lot like what we have done in the previous 20 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back