Club History 2019 fan bankruptcy thread

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
For those who haven't seen my rants before over many years, sometime in the Roos era ( I don't remember when anymore) our club doctor quit because the dickhead "sports scientist" wanted to have final say over medical issues over the actual qualified medical professional. The club sided with Misson and we've had the parade of **** - uppery seen since.
Just after Roos appointment but before he actually commenced I think? They were ludicrous days and they haven’t ended yet

Highlights:
Round 22 1987 at Whitten Oval
Robbie Flower
John Northey as coach

Lowlights:
Pretty much everything from 1965 till now apart from brief periods in the late 80s and late 90s
September 1988 and 2000 sucked too.
You have to add the two 2018 finals wins into your highlights list, surely?

This thread allows us to give up everything 2019, be forgiven our hopes, and start over again with no expectations for the rest of the year. I'm going to try to channel my inner 2013 self and just look for glimmers of hope for 2020. You know those days when we hung our hats on respectable losses and clung to the 'potential' of players to one day break out?

I'm not really going to be that bleak in my outlook, but now that we can let go of the season I plan to try and enjoy us regaining some best 22 players and form free of expectations.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
In many ways this season is worse than 2013. Two games in, Apocalypse Neeld was done, the midfield was third world and between bawling their eyes out any player of note was asking their manager to get them out. We also had gummy shark Craig in his long socks and short shorts out on the track overseeing a unique combination of elite training standards and attempted tackles. We were so s**t it was actually funny.

This year we have managed to blow the joint up despite having a far superior list, more stability and with two finals wins under the belt. The pre season was clearly a farce which has been further compounded by terrible fitness and conditioning, awful coaching strategy and tactics, selecting players that can barely walk and administrative hubris in signing the coach long term when there was absolutely no need to do so. The only thing that’s holding me back from dropping the toaster in the bathtub is seeing the club not as a tragedy but the most intricate and ingenious black comedy. Most fans would’ve made the mistake of getting upset about the Adelaide loss but I found myself clapping Orson Welles style at the final siren. The breadcrumbs for that punchline were there all along, the callback to the Eagles game *kisses fingers chef style*.
We are the AFL’s fearless comedy troupe.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
In many ways this season is worse than 2013. Two games in, Apocalypse Neeld was done, the midfield was third world and between bawling their eyes out any player of note was asking their manager to get them out. We also had gummy shark Craig in his long socks and short shorts out on the track overseeing a unique combination of elite training standards and attempted tackles. We were so **** it was actually funny.

This year we have managed to blow the joint up despite having a far superior list, more stability and with two finals wins under the belt. The pre season was clearly a farce which has been further compounded by terrible fitness and conditioning, awful coaching strategy and tactics, selecting players that can barely walk and administrative hubris in signing the coach long term when there was absolutely no need to do so. The only thing that’s holding me back from dropping the toaster in the bathtub is seeing the club not as a tragedy but the most intricate and ingenious black comedy. Most fans would’ve made the mistake of getting upset about the Adelaide loss but I found myself clapping Orson Welles style at the final siren. The breadcrumbs for that punchline were there all along, the callback to the Eagles game *kisses fingers chef style*.
We are the AFL’s fearless comedy troupe.
Brilliantly put, The last off season was farcical on every level from recruiting to re signing our dud coach to fitness and injury management, Brisbane in 09 when they brought Fev In is the only thing that runs close for sheer incompetence. At least we aren’t Carlton that’s about as positive as I can get.

Dancing Potato

Premiership Player
Jul 7, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
This will be me in this thread once we suffer the inevitable thrashing of a lifetime on Monday
giphy (4).gif

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
This thread allows us to give up everything 2019, be forgiven our hopes, and start over again with no expectations for the rest of the year. I'm going to try to channel my inner 2013 self and just look for glimmers of hope for 2020. You know those days when we hung our hats on respectable losses and clung to the 'potential' of players to one day break out?

I'm not really going to be that bleak in my outlook, but now that we can let go of the season I plan to try and enjoy us regaining some best 22 players and form free of expectations.
Well said.

Don’t be bleak Crimson. Our year is done finals-wise, but I’m looking forward to being that team (like Collingwood 2017) that can * up the hopes and dreams of supporters hoping their stupid team will get into finals.

Spirit of 26

Team Captain
Aug 24, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
You have to add the two 2018 finals wins into your highlights list, surely?

Seen plenty of final wins - not many grand final wins.
And as to 2018, what happened in the 3rd final reminds me of the famous quote, “After the Lord Mayor’s Ball comes the s**t cart”.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm losing interest in the sport these days.
Partially because of the club, but mostly because of the league itself and the clown running it.

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm losing interest in the sport these days.
Partially because of the club, but mostly because of the league itself and the clown running it.
I feel the same way. I haven’t bothered paying for the AFL Live app this year. The majority of games are a shitfest to watch. Congestion has totally ****ed the show. AFLcoaches should be provided with no opportunity whatsoever to shape the game.
The changes in the off season appear to have had minimal impact from what I’ve read and from general scoring.
Next year I hope they reduce it to 16 a side and/or reduce rotations to half a dozen a quarter. If the game continues as it is it will slowly die because it’s no more interesting to watch than a game of AusKick now.

I feel the same way. I haven’t bothered paying for the AFL Live app this year. The majority of games are a ****fest to watch. Congestion has totally ****** the show. AFLcoaches should be provided with no opportunity whatsoever to shape the game.
The changes in the off season appear to have had minimal impact from what I’ve read and from general scoring.
Next year I hope they reduce it to 16 a side and/or reduce rotations to half a dozen a quarter. If the game continues as it is it will slowly die because it’s no more interesting to watch than a game of AusKick now.
Exactly.
I would keep 18 a side and interchange only after a goal is scored

Back