Competitions 2019 Fantasy Footy questions thread

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Who do you guys expect to be the go to man out of defence? I thought Houston might be a great smokey in draft leagues with the new kick in rules, but it appears from your intra-club that Lienert was the impressive one?

Also where do you see Mayes and Burton playing, as this may affect how much ball the 2 listed above get.

TIA :)
Port have a few options ... Lienert, Houston, and even Hartlett if he is confident in his knee. Burton and Mayes look to be trialed in various positions to determine their starting roles. Mayes on the wing (can he beat off the challengers), and Burton as a back, wing, and mid. Nothing definitive yet.

azza77

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Manchester Utd
Port have a few options ... Lienert, Houston, and even Hartlett if he is confident in his knee. Burton and Mayes look to be trialed in various positions to determine their starting roles. Mayes on the wing (can he beat off the challengers), and Burton as a back, wing, and mid. Nothing definitive yet.

Yeah I'm finding it extremely hard to try and predict who will be playing where for you guys, and who's going to benefit the most from a fantasy friendly roll. Worst thing is my Ultimate Footy draft is right in the middle of JLT so wont get a good look at everyone.

I came here looking for answers and have walked away even more confused with Lienert now in the mix too haha:drunk:

Oct 1, 2014
NeverNevers
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Who do you guys expect to be the go to man out of defence? I thought Houston might be a great smokey in draft leagues with the new kick in rules, but it appears from your intra-club that Lienert was the impressive one?

Also where do you see Mayes and Burton playing, as this may affect how much ball the 2 listed above get.

TIA :)
Houston and Burton will be intercept marking type defenders. Hartlett, Bonner, Darcy explosive type players coming from defence and in the stoppages.

GoGeta

Team Captain
Mar 4, 2013
Vic
AFL Club
Geelong
Trimmed up body!
No Ollie, so will get a bigger workload!
Other players in interviews are raving about his preparation & pre-season!

Your call .....

Was he a big possession getter as a junior? I know he can tackle hard ect but to top 100+ sc points he is either going to need to accumulate the footy or have excellent efficiency ie 30+ touches a game with clearances/tackles or 22-25 touches and good ball use/impact.

Does he fall into either of these categories in the opinion of Port fans with good knowledge of their players/play style.

Thank you in advance to anyone who offers any good info or insights into this topic and best of luck to the Power in 2019!

EDIT: O and of course what role will he play once Ollie returns?

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Was he a big possession getter as a junior? I know he can tackle hard ect but to top 100+ sc points he is either going to need to accumulate the footy or have excellent efficiency ie 30+ touches a game with clearances/tackles or 22-25 touches and good ball use/impact.

Does he fall into either of these categories in the opinion of Port fans with good knowledge of their players/play style.

Thank you in advance to anyone who offers any good info or insights into this topic and best of luck to the Power in 2019!

Part of him trimming down and improving his running ability was to allow him to get to more contests. So id say its safe to assume hell get more of the footy. But its never a sure thing.

Id assume he'll play predominately as an inside mid given his size and strength. There was been talk about trying to get him a bit more outside, even across half forward because he has such a powerful leg. Yes can burn it when tries to do to much bullaking and forcing his way through players, but when he gets it right his kicking is seriously impressive. With Wines out it may be more inside early.

Done quote me on this, because i have a feeling i read it on BF which isn't always the most accurate source, but i have a feeling he was the 2nd clearance per minute player early last year before his season got a bit derailed of field. I know he was a great attitude going into this year. "you only have one career so make the most of it".

The 2 JLT games will be a good indicator, Hopefully he gets used in a similar way to Dusty.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

If we could answer that with certainty, he would be picked in 100% of teams. It will be risk:reward with him, but as mentioned, the JLT will give us some decent feedback.

Forget last year, he was packing too much weight, and had some heavy crap to deal with here in Adelaide. He also got too sidetracked with this nonsense of being labeled the "bull," and forget to play footy at times!

I reckon this will be his year.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Thanks - what caused the spike in numbers from 2017 to 2018?
His role didnt really change ... it is just that he continued to improve IMO. One of the best defenders in the AFL in 2019, it is just that other higher-profile players get all the limelight, while Jonas goes under the radar.

Sep 11, 2011
Anywhere else
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Miami Heat & Dolphins
Forgive the intrusion, quick question guys im in the middle of a dynasty draft and have my eye on one of Butters or Duursma. Do you guys think Duursma will be playing across half back long term or a pure mid? The same for Butters, is he a pure mid? Thanks, you guys look like you've killed the draft i'm jelly! :D

im in a league that values categories not super coach scoring. the cats I'm searching for are kicks, marks and DE%

how do you think/rate Houston, Burton, DBJ and hartlett will go in ports side this year?

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Forgive the intrusion, quick question guys im in the middle of a dynasty draft and have my eye on one of Butters or Duursma. Do you guys think Duursma will be playing across half back long term or a pure mid? The same for Butters, is he a pure mid? Thanks, you guys look like you've killed the draft i'm jelly! :D
Duursma... Seems very versatile, and has been played in a number of positions accross half-back across the wing to half forward. Can also see him playing as a mid in years to come. Is a brave talented player, but a bit wild and rough around the edges as he comes to grips with the senior game. Might be fighting for a regular spot in 2019

Butters... A super talent, but still light-framed, so will need to be managed through the year. We reckon he will play from round 1 onwards. He is playing as a small crumbling forward, not as a mid.

Last edited:

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
im in a league that values categories not super coach scoring. the cats I'm searching for are kicks, marks and DE%

how do you think/rate Houston, Burton, DBJ and hartlett will go in ports side this year?

Burton not in great form, and is still finding his place in the side ... Too early to tell
DBJ has been hot and cold this far. Seems like they might be trying him in different positions ... Unsure
Houston is a wonderful user of the ball and decision-maker ... I would rank him highly
Hartlett the same, but he might be some games off playing in the seniors

Looks a real player guys, where will he line up to start his career, HF?

Half Fwd, Fwd Pocket will be where he starts, wouldn't be surprised if in a few years he plays some mid.

Back