2019 FIBA World Cup (previously known as the World Championships)

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This could easily be the most interesting FIBA World Cup of all time if you look at the teams and superstars who have stated they are interested in playing. Let's look at all the significant teams bar the United States:

Australia - Group H
Ben Simmons (NBA - 76ers), Patty Mills (NBA - Spurs), Joe Ingles (NBA - Jazz), Jonah Bolden (NBA - 76ers), Aron Baynes (NBA - Celtics), Thon Maker (NBA - Pistons), Andrew Bogut (NBA - Warriors), Ryan Broekhoff (NBA - Mavericks), Dante Exum (NBA - Jazz), Matthew Dellavedova (NBA - Cavaliers), Isaac Humphries (NBA - Hawks), Deng Adel (NBA - Cavaliers), Josh Green (NCAA - Arizona).

Even if Simmons doesn't play, you could easily argue this will be the strongest team we've ever sent to any international competition. We have more NBA talent than we've ever had and some exciting young prospects like Josh Green coming through. I'm backing us in to get our first ever international medal and really hoping Simmons decides he wants to be a part of the World Cup.

Canada - Group H
Cory Joseph (NBA - Pacers), Jamal Murray (NBA - Nuggets), Andrew Wiggins (NBA - Timberwolves), Kelly Olynyk (NBA - Heat), Tristan Thompson (NBA - Cavaliers), Shaivonte Gilgeous-Alexande (NBA - Clippers), Nikolas Stauskas (NBA - Cavaliers), Trey Lyles (NBA - Nuggets), Dwight Powell (NBA - Mavericks), Dillon Brooks (NBA - Grizzlies), Chris Boucher (NBA - Raptors), RJ Barrett (NCAA - Duke).

Easily our biggest competition for a medal at the World Cup outside of the US. Plenty of NBA talent but none on the level of Ben Simmons and that could really be our edge against Canada in the end. For those who follow college basketball, you will have noticed RJ Barrett's name. This kid can seriously play and is certain to be taken as a top 3 pick in the upcoming draft (some believe the 2019 draft is a super draft). It's really important for both Canada and Australia to finish top of their group because second place will likely result in a Quarterfinal against the United States and then it's game over for that country.

Spain - Group C
Ricky Rubio (NBA - Jazz), Pau Gasol (NBA - Bucks), Marc Gasol (NBA - Raptors), Serge Ibaka (Raptors), Jose Calderon (NBA - Pistons), Nikola Mirotic (NBA - Bucks), Willy Hernangomez (NBA - Hornets), Juan Hernangomez (NBA - Nuggets).

Spain appear to be coming to the end of their run of what can only be described as a golden generation of basketball for them. You still expect Spain to get through to the Quarterfinals and, perhaps fortunately, they have been given the kind of draw that shouldn't trouble them. Expect a good showing from the Spaniards in this World Cup.

Greece - Group F
Giannis Antetokounmpo (NBA - Bucks), Kostas Antetokounmpo (NBA - Mavericks), Tyler Dorsey (NBA - Grizzlies), Kosta Koufos (NBA - Sacramento).

The Greek Freak is the best player in the world right now and publicly stated his intentions to play for Greece in the World Cup as recent as February this year. The Greeks certainly don't possess as much NBA talent as other teams but have shown in the past (2006 World Cup in particular) that they can show up on the big stage without NBA talent and having Giannis really mean they get through to the Quarterfinals with relative ease, despite likely having to play the United States in the second round of the group stages. The Greek Freak v the Dream Team will be one of the highlights of the competition so be prepared for that one on the 7/9 September.

Serbia - Group D
Nikola Jokic (NBA - Nuggets), Bogdan Bogdanovic (NBA - Kings), Nemanja Bjelica (NBA - Kings), Boban Marjanović (NBA - 76ers).

Serbia have historically competed very well on the international stage will likely do so again this World Cup given their draw. They were the silver medalists in the the 2016 Olympics AND the 2014 World Cup for a reason. Expect a deep run for the Serbians, despite not possessing as much NBA talent as other teams. Watch for Jokic to lead this team deep into the elimination rounds.

France - Group G
Rudy Gobert (NBA - Jazz), Nicholas Batum (NBA - Hornets), Evan Fournier (NBA - Magic), Joakim Noah (NBA - Grizzlies), Timothé Luwawu-Cabarrot (NBA - Bulls), Ian Mahinmi (NBA - Wizards), Frank Bryan Ntilikina (NBA - Knicks), Elie Okobo (NBA - Suns), Guerschon Yabusele (NBA - Celtics).

The French would have been a strong team if Tony Parker and Boris Diaw had not retired from international competitions but they find themselves where the only significant player they have is Rudy Gobert. Despite having a decent amount of NBA players, I expect Australia and Canada to eliminate France in the second round of group stages.

Turkey - Group E
Enes Kanter (NBA - Trail Blazers), Cedi Osman (NBA - Cavaliers), Furkan Korkmaz (NBA - 76ers), Ersan Ilyasova (NBA - Bucks), Salah Mejri (NBA - Mavericks).

The Turks will very likely finish second behind the US but that may actually play into their advantage later in the tournament when they are placed on the opposite side of the draw to the Americans. Having said that, I don't think they'll finish ahead of Greece in the second round of the group stages so I expect Turkey to be knocked out in the second round of the group stages.

Italy - Group D
Marco Bellinelli (NBA - Spurs), Danillo Gallinari (NBA - Clippers), Ryan Arcidiacono (NBA - Bulls), Nico Mannion (NCAA - Arizona).

Italy should compete at a commendable level at the World Cup. Some NBA talent and an exciting young prospect in Nico Mannion should at least get them through to the second round of the group stages. Worth watching.

Brazil - Group F
Raul Neto (NBA - Jazz), Nene (NBA - Rockets), Bruno Cabocio (NBA - Grizzlies), Cristiano Felicio (NBA - Bulls), Scott Machado (NBA - Lakers).

Brazil has a decent amount of NBA players and that will be complemented up by former NBA players in the form of Leandro Barbosa and Anderson Varejao but I'm not overly confident the Brazilians will go deep in this tournament. I don't expect them to finish ahead of Greece in the first round of the group stages and I certainly expect them to lose to the US in the second round of group matches. A second round showing for the Brazilians is a best case scenario I see coming for Brazil.

Dominican Republic - Group G
Karl-Anthony Towns (NBA - Timberwolves), Al Horford (NBA - Celtics), Angel Delgado (NBA - Clippers).

Despite only possessing a few NBA players, the players they do have can really turn it on. Towns and Horford could definitely lead the Domincans to the top of Group G but I doubt they'll be able to beat either Australia or Canada in the second round of group matches. Despite a probable early exit, this could be a fun team to watch.

Now obviously there are some serious players in the Euroleague that I haven't mentioned here but I think the teams I've listed above are the ones that will likely appeal to the masses. Fingers crossed our boys can bring home a medal!

This could easily be the most interesting FIBA World Cup of all time if you look at the teams and superstars who have stated they are interested in playing. Let's look at all the significant teams bar the United States:

Australia - Group H
Ben Simmons (NBA - 76ers), Patty Mills (NBA - Spurs), Joe Ingles (NBA - Jazz), Jonah Bolden (NBA - 76ers), Aron Baynes (NBA - Celtics), Thon Maker (NBA - Pistons), Andrew Bogut (NBA - Warriors), Ryan Broekhoff (NBA - Mavericks), Dante Exum (NBA - Jazz), Matthew Dellavedova (NBA - Cavaliers), Isaac Humphries (NBA - Hawks), Deng Adel (NBA - Cavaliers), Josh Green (NCAA - Arizona).

Even if Simmons doesn't play, you could easily argue this will be the strongest team we've ever sent to any international competition. We have more NBA talent than we've ever had and some exciting young prospects like Josh Green coming through. I'm backing us in to get our first ever international medal and really hoping Simmons decides he wants to be a part of the World Cup.

Canada - Group H
Cory Joseph (NBA - Pacers), Jamal Murray (NBA - Nuggets), Andrew Wiggins (NBA - Timberwolves), Kelly Olynyk (NBA - Heat), Tristan Thompson (NBA - Cavaliers), Shaivonte Gilgeous-Alexande (NBA - Clippers), Nikolas Stauskas (NBA - Cavaliers), Trey Lyles (NBA - Nuggets), Dwight Powell (NBA - Mavericks), Dillon Brooks (NBA - Grizzlies), Chris Boucher (NBA - Raptors), RJ Barrett (NCAA - Duke).

Easily our biggest competition for a medal at the World Cup outside of the US. Plenty of NBA talent but none on the level of Ben Simmons and that could really be our edge against Canada in the end. For those who follow college basketball, you will have noticed RJ Barrett's name. This kid can seriously play and is certain to be taken as a top 3 pick in the upcoming draft (some believe the 2019 draft is a super draft). It's really important for both Canada and Australia to finish top of their group because second place will likely result in a Quarterfinal against the United States and then it's game over for that country.

Spain - Group C
Ricky Rubio (NBA - Jazz), Pau Gasol (NBA - Bucks), Marc Gasol (NBA - Raptors), Serge Ibaka (Raptors), Jose Calderon (NBA - Pistons), Nikola Mirotic (NBA - Bucks), Willy Hernangomez (NBA - Hornets), Juan Hernangomez (NBA - Nuggets).

Spain appear to be coming to the end of their run of what can only be described as a golden generation of basketball for them. You still expect Spain to get through to the Quarterfinals and, perhaps fortunately, they have been given the kind of draw that shouldn't trouble them. Expect a good showing from the Spaniards in this World Cup.

Greece - Group F
Giannis Antetokounmpo (NBA - Bucks), Kostas Antetokounmpo (NBA - Mavericks), Tyler Dorsey (NBA - Grizzlies), Kosta Koufos (NBA - Sacramento).

The Greek Freak is the best player in the world right now and publicly stated his intentions to play for Greece in the World Cup as recent as February this year. The Greeks certainly don't possess as much NBA talent as other teams but have shown in the past (2006 World Cup in particular) that they can show up on the big stage without NBA talent and having Giannis really mean they get through to the Quarterfinals with relative ease, despite likely having to play the United States in the second round of the group stages. The Greek Freak v the Dream Team will be one of the highlights of the competition so be prepared for that one on the 7/9 September.

Serbia - Group D
Nikola Jokic (NBA - Nuggets), Bogdan Bogdanovic (NBA - Kings), Nemanja Bjelica (NBA - Kings), Boban Marjanović (NBA - 76ers).

Serbia have historically competed very well on the international stage will likely do so again this World Cup given their draw. They were the silver medalists in the the 2016 Olympics AND the 2014 World Cup for a reason. Expect a deep run for the Serbians, despite not possessing as much NBA talent as other teams. Watch for Jokic to lead this team deep into the elimination rounds.

France - Group G
Rudy Gobert (NBA - Jazz), Nicholas Batum (NBA - Hornets), Evan Fournier (NBA - Magic), Joakim Noah (NBA - Grizzlies), Timothé Luwawu-Cabarrot (NBA - Bulls), Ian Mahinmi (NBA - Wizards), Frank Bryan Ntilikina (NBA - Knicks), Elie Okobo (NBA - Suns), Guerschon Yabusele (NBA - Celtics).

The French would have been a strong team if Tony Parker and Boris Diaw had not retired from international competitions but they find themselves where the only significant player they have is Rudy Gobert. Despite having a decent amount of NBA players, I expect Australia and Canada to eliminate France in the second round of group stages.

Turkey - Group E
Enes Kanter (NBA - Trail Blazers), Cedi Osman (NBA - Cavaliers), Furkan Korkmaz (NBA - 76ers), Ersan Ilyasova (NBA - Bucks), Salah Mejri (NBA - Mavericks).

The Turks will very likely finish second behind the US but that may actually play into their advantage later in the tournament when they are placed on the opposite side of the draw to the Americans. Having said that, I don't think they'll finish ahead of Greece in the second round of the group stages so I expect Turkey to be knocked out in the second round of the group stages.

Italy - Group D
Marco Bellinelli (NBA - Spurs), Danillo Gallinari (NBA - Clippers), Ryan Arcidiacono (NBA - Bulls), Nico Mannion (NCAA - Arizona).

Italy should compete at a commendable level at the World Cup. Some NBA talent and an exciting young prospect in Nico Mannion should at least get them through to the second round of the group stages. Worth watching.

Brazil - Group F
Raul Neto (NBA - Jazz), Nene (NBA - Rockets), Bruno Cabocio (NBA - Grizzlies), Cristiano Felicio (NBA - Bulls), Scott Machado (NBA - Lakers).

Brazil has a decent amount of NBA players and that will be complemented up by former NBA players in the form of Leandro Barbosa and Anderson Varejao but I'm not overly confident the Brazilians will go deep in this tournament. I don't expect them to finish ahead of Greece in the first round of the group stages and I certainly expect them to lose to the US in the second round of group matches. A second round showing for the Brazilians is a best case scenario I see coming for Brazil.

Dominican Republic - Group G
Karl-Anthony Towns (NBA - Timberwolves), Al Horford (NBA - Celtics), Angel Delgado (NBA - Clippers).

Despite only possessing a few NBA players, the players they do have can really turn it on. Towns and Horford could definitely lead the Domincans to the top of Group G but I doubt they'll be able to beat either Australia or Canada in the second round of group matches. Despite a probable early exit, this could be a fun team to watch.

Now obviously there are some serious players in the Euroleague that I haven't mentioned here but I think the teams I've listed above are the ones that will likely appeal to the masses. Fingers crossed our boys can bring home a medal!
Great write up.

I like your confidence that both ourselves and Canada will breeze past Lithuania, but they are still probably a threat themselves if they happen to catch either ourselves or Canada sleeping a little bit. They’ve always been a solid international team.

Kanter surely won’t play. The Turkish government wants him arrested and Kanter didn’t play an NBA international game in London due to fears of an assassination attempt.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Great write up.

I like your confidence that both ourselves and Canada will breeze past Lithuania, but they are still probably a threat themselves if they happen to catch either ourselves or Canada sleeping a little bit. They’ve always been a solid international team.

Kanter surely won’t play. The Turkish government wants him arrested and Kanter didn’t play an NBA international game in London due to fears of an assassination attempt.
Lithuania have always done well internationally but I'd like to think both our and the Canadian NBA contigent won't allow them to beat us. Having said that, I probably should have mentioned the Lithuanian NBA players above. I could be wrong but I like our chances. Also, I was not aware of Kanter situation but I'd say you're right if what you've written is correct.

The thing that surprised me most was the strength of the teams from Groups E to H and the lack of strength between Groups A to D. I understand that has to do with FIBA rankings and obviously both Spain and Serbia are in the top half of the groups but I think we've surpassed both of them in terms of talent, particularly if Simmons plays. I don't really like the idea of USA potentially eliminating the Greek Freak in the group stages or us eliminating France, Dominican Republic or Canada (or possibly us being eliminated!) in the group stages, but it's just the way the draw fell so we have to accept it. Hopefully the World Cup evens out the rankings so we don't have this situation playing out in the Olympics next year.

Dr Awkward

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 23, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Looking at those teams I would say Serbia is the biggest threat. How many teams make it out of the group, is it just 1?

The betting odds have Serbia second in the market as well

Dr Awkward

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 23, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Top 2, then the teams go into a 2nd pool stage and the top 2 from each group progresses to quarter finals.
Ah ok, so we just have to beat one of Canada / Lithuania

Broekhoff out is a shame, he'd be very handy coming off the bench

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Now that we know Simmons is going to pull on the green and gold in September, you'd have to think we're a huge chance to medal. Historically we have really under performed in the World Cup but 2019 is a completely different situation. We legitimately have over 10 NBA players who are all willing to play and a superstar PG in Simmons to lead the ship. I'm expecting a bronze/third place finish at worst.

Oct 9, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
World Cup is a much more difficult tournament compared to Olympics with a lot more teams and more games. I'd expect us to be a much better medal chance in Tokyo. We just need to finish ahead of NZ.

Shifty1

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Would have loved to see Dante and Ryan in the squad if they were available. Not too concerned about Maker missing. Seriously needs a full summer in the gym.

Dr Awkward

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 23, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Looking at the other teams, ours is actually not that special. We are among a chasing pack of 6 or 7 world class teams.

Will be tougher than our home media is making it out. Very excited to see Simmons at this level though

DustinsGuns

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
So what are we thing the rotation will be... 10 min quarters so maybe:

PG) Delly 30 mins
SG) Mills 30 mins
SF) Ingles 30 mins
PF) Simmons 30 mins
C) Baynes 25 mins

Creek 20 mins
Bolden 15 mins
Bogurt 12 mins
Goulding 8 mins

I don’t know much about the NBL/Euro talent aside from Goulding but assuming

Would happily play a small ball line up with Simmons as the point forward with Barnes, Ingles, Mills, and Delly/Goulding to give Ben some space with shooting.

With no green, broekhuff, exam, etc our rotations look at little thing at the 2 and 3 imo

DustinsGuns

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah I wouldn’t be putting money on us to medal.

A lot of the Euro teams look seriously good.

Spain
PG: Rubio
SG: Hernagomez
SF: Mirotic
PF: Ibala
C: Gasoline

France with Golbert, Forunier, Batum and conwill be good. Italy’s mannion, bellenelli and gallinari has plenty of shooting.

At the end of the day australia’s team
has a heap of NBA experience though with most of the starters having 5+ years NBA experience

Dr Awkward

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 23, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs

PG) Delly 30 mins
SG) Mills 30 mins
SF) Ingles 30 mins
PF) Simmons 30 mins
C) Baynes 25 mins

Creek 20 mins
Bolden 15 mins
Bogurt 12 mins
Goulding 8 mins

Would happily play a small ball line up with Simmons as the point forward with Barnes, Ingles, Mills, and Delly/Goulding to give Ben some space with shooting.

With no green, broekhuff, exam, etc our rotations look at little thing at the 2 and 3 imo
I don't think you can give 3 point guards 30 minutes each.

Delly will come off the bench I reckon. He needs the ball to be effective and so does Simmons. I'd have Bolden starting.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle

PG) Delly 30 mins
SG) Mills 30 mins
SF) Ingles 30 mins
PF) Simmons 30 mins
C) Baynes 25 mins

Creek 20 mins
Bolden 15 mins
Bogurt 12 mins
Goulding 8 mins

The outs are huge but thats still the best squad on paper ever.
With his experience and size it wouldnt surprise if Bogut started. Hopefully Creek gets his shot going as he should play significant minutes as well with Broekhoff not playing.

Back