2019 FIBA World Cup (previously known as the World Championships)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
BCC1C899-350B-4A0D-BCC1-5308A146401C.png

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
It wont be easy. Canada are as good as us on paper. Plus there's still a bit of uncertainty around Ben playing.
Seems like this far out there are eleven near certainties in my view and only one place up for grabs barring a major change.
The eleven highly likely selections in my view are:
1. Bolden
2. Baynes
3. Ingles
4. Simmons
5. Mills
6. Exum
7. Delly
8. Thon
9. Broekhoff
10. Creek
11. Bogut

!2th spot to come down to how much Green develops or a selection based on providing insurance for injuries. Motum could be the guy if there is a selection based on insurance for injuries. Simply because of his experience as well as the fact he can shoot and defend with underated athleticism. Lansdale and Mathaing are too much like Bogut and Baynes in terms of game style in my view. While Adel, Cooks, Sobey or Goulding would also be in the frame for selection.

Horrible draw for Aus. Is it just me or do we always get screwed?
Draw definitely could’ve been easier (understatement - it’s the group of death), but realistically if we consider ourselves a chance at an Olympic medal in 2020, we need to make it out of this group. Canada, while they have the players, lack the international experience we have, whereas Lithuania are quite the opposite, having the experience but less talent.

Doing some research this is roughly how they stack up - I’m going to ignore Senegal mostly because if we lose to them we don’t deserve to go any further.

Canada (Seen a lot of debate on what their starting 5 could look like - having this many NBA players (14 plus Barrett incoming) is uncharted territory for them - much like us...)

Cory Joseph
Jamal Murray
Andrew Wiggins (question marks over whether he plays; hopefully not for our sake)
Kelly Olynyk
Tristan Thompson
-
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
Dillon Brooks
RJ Barrett
Trey Lyles
Dwight Powell
Nik Stauskas
Chris Boucher

Lithuania (admittedly know stuff all about the non-NBA guys, and because of that have just listed a starting five ripped off Wikipedia and one other notable)

Mantas Kalnietis
Rokas Giedraitis
Mindaugas Kuzminskas
Domantas Sabonis
Jonas Valanciunas
-
Donatas Motiejunas

Senegal have a current NBA player in Gorgui Dieng along with a few guys with NBA experience.

Compare that with us -

Ben Simmons
Patty Mills
Joe Ingles
Thon Maker
Aron Baynes
-
Matthew Dellavedova
Dante Exum
Ryan Broekhoff
Jonah Bolden
Andrew Bogut
Mitch Creek
Deng Adel
<insert whoever I forgot here>

On paper I’d say us and Canada are the best sides, however Lithuania are ranked 6th in the world for a reason (not that the rankings really matter). Could be very, very tight but I back us in to make it out.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Simmons is probably the key to beating Lithuania.

If we get into a back and forth controlled half court contest with them they will grind us for 4 qtrs, and they are so solid with team play and fundamentals

Lithuania is probably a nightmare match up for Canada to be honest for those reasons and they could really expose Thompson olnyk and Powell in the paint.

If Simmons is playing his ability to run the floor and take off in transition would really push Lithuania.

Oct 9, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Posted in the other thread, but I hope that Simmons takes the fact that the World Cup doubles as the qualifiers into serious consideration when deciding whether or not to join. Iirc I read somewhere that part of the reason he might not play (apart from contract issues) is that the World Cup isn't as prestigious as the Olympics, but it is a lot more important than it has been in the past.
Since NZ's group might be arguably less difficult/tricky than ours (Greece, Brazil, Montenegro), nobody should take things for granted/have a sense of entitlement and assume that we will definitely be going to the Olympics next year. Simmons have said that he's only a certainty for the Olympics but we are from qualified yet. That being said, we could still get the job done without him, but you'd want all your best players available.

Last edited:

Mazza1234678

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
It wont be easy. Canada are as good as us on paper. Plus there's still a bit of uncertainty around Ben playing.
Seems like this far out there are eleven near certainties in my view and only one place up for grabs barring a major change.
The eleven highly likely selections in my view are:
1. Bolden
2. Baynes
3. Ingles
4. Simmons
5. Mills
6. Exum
7. Delly
8. Thon
9. Broekhoff
10. Creek
11. Bogut

!2th spot to come down to how much Green develops or a selection based on providing insurance for injuries. Motum could be the guy if there is a selection based on insurance for injuries. Simply because of his experience as well as the fact he can shoot and defend with underated athleticism. Lansdale and Mathaing are too much like Bogut and Baynes in terms of game style in my view. While Adel, Cooks, Sobey or Goulding would also be in the frame for selection.
Canda are in another league to us

We dont have a guard like murray or wiggins who can drop 25-30, which is probably the big difference

We dont have a guard like murray or wiggins who can drop 25-30, which is probably the big difference
Canada have little experience on the world stage, which is where we have the edge. It also seems like there is a good possibilty that Wiggins doesn’t play.

They definitely aren’t in another league to us. I’d say we’re in the same ballpark. Both up and coming sides. Canada hasn’t been to the Olympics since 2000 and missed the last World Cup, while we nearly medaled at the last Olympics. Doesn’t really suggest that they are out of our league world beaters just yet.

Luuuc

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Perth Lynx
Their potential roster is looking really strong now, but in the past they have regularly failed to play as well as their roster suggests they should, and have also regularly failed to suit up all the top players they would like to. So let's see what their actual team looks like. But there's no question that it has potential to be a good one. I'd still back us to have more synergy as a team than they do, but at some point enough talent is going to be overwhelming.
Really hoping we can get a good level of buy-in from our NBA contingent.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United

Simmons and Ingles will have absolutely no problem dropping those numbers in international ball.

I reckon we will see Bolden with 20+ regularly in this tournament as well.

Kezza86

Club Legend
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
People need to be reminded international basketball is completely different to NBA hence the success of European nations.

Having the thought of Simmons, Mills, Ingles, Broekhoff and Bolden on the court at once could be scary. Add in Maker, Delledova and co could hitting the 3 ball. I would take Sobey now that Exum is out due to his athleticism and ability play quickly in transition.

At this stage I think Simmons is a 50/50 chance of playing depending on numerous circumstances at end of the NBA season.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
People need to be reminded international basketball is completely different to NBA hence the success of European nations.

Having the thought of Simmons, Mills, Ingles, Broekhoff and Bolden on the court at once could be scary. Add in Maker, Delledova and co could hitting the 3 ball. I would take Sobey now that Exum is out due to his athleticism and ability play quickly in transition.

At this stage I think Simmons is a 50/50 chance of playing depending on numerous circumstances at end of the NBA season.

Green has explicitly stated he wants to play at the WC, he's only a kid, might not currently be as good as Sobey, but I don't think they make the same mistake they did with Simmons, who's current reluctance is in part due to being snubbed last time from what I've been told by people who absolutely know.

Kezza86

Club Legend
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Green has explicitly stated he wants to play at the WC, he's only a kid, might not currently be as good as Sobey, but I don't think they make the same mistake they did with Simmons, who's current reluctance is in part due to being snubbed last time from what I've been told by people who absolutely know.

Could he twisting BA arm to ensure Green is picked. I think it could also depend on the insurance of projected income and what supports they have in place for the NBA guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 9, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Pretty well known that not being selected for the World Cup was a big reason why he didn't make himself available for the Rio Olympics. I'd be picking Green just for the experience since he's almost certainly going to be a future NBA star.
We could have at least 2 vacant spots with Simmons unlikely and Exum suffering another significant injury which might put him in doubt.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/basket...p/news-story/e06b157ce8cec14bdbc9f29275200a77

Last edited:

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Where has Green said that? I follow him on twitter and google him a fair bit. Havent heard that before. He's dreaming if he thinks he's a sure thing without massive improvement before the world champs. Ive only read he wants to play for Australia long term.

Not sure about the Simmons comment either. Even Brett Brown has said Simmons is very keen to play for Australia recently. The issue is his contract and whether his available which he's posted in his twitter feed. Pretty bizzare to think a non selection when's he was 18 would have any effect on his decision. If that's the case then that would be super disappointing.

Oct 9, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Where has Green said that? I follow him on twitter and google him a fair bit. Havent heard that before. He's dreaming if he thinks he's a sure thing without massive improvement before the world champs. Ive only read he wants to play for Australia long term.
I linked it in my post above yours. He apparently spoke directly to foxsports.com.au.

Goodo73

Premium Platinum
Apr 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Lakers
I don't think they make the same mistake they did with Simmons, who's current reluctance is in part due to being snubbed last time from what I've been told by people who absolutely know.
Basically you're saying it was a mistake to not select a (admittedly elite) high school player for a senior international tournament. I disagree. Simmons inclusion would not have made us perform any better at the last Worlds, and for the minutes he may have gotten if selected, it wouldn't have done much to improve his game.

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Basically you're saying it was a mistake to not select a (admittedly elite) high school player for a senior international tournament. I disagree. Simmons inclusion would not have made us perform any better at the last Worlds, and for the minutes he may have gotten if selected, it wouldn't have done much to improve his game.

He’d already played for Australia in World Cup qualifiers 2 years before as a 15 year old, so it wasn’t as if it was some left field selection.

I’m only going off what I was told at the NBL MVP awards gala a few weeks ago, he wanted to make the squad, he was good enough to make the squad, they controversially overlooked him at the time.

He remembers the slight.

Oct 9, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
I think there should be plenty of space for Green in any case with Simmons & Exum probably unavailable.
The only players I would pencil in atm are Patty, Delly, Jingles, Baynes, Broekhoff, Bolden, Creek, Bogut & Maker. Green added would still leave 2 spots remaining.
From the Rio squad, Anderson, Lisch, Martin, Motum, Goulding and Bairstow definitely aren't certainties. Motum and Goulding perhaps the most likely to be selected.

Goodo73

Premium Platinum
Apr 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Lakers
He’d already played for Australia in World Cup qualifiers 2 years before as a 15 year old, so it wasn’t as if it was some left field selection.

I’m only going off what I was told at the NBL MVP awards gala a few weeks ago, he wanted to make the squad, he was good enough to make the squad, they controversially overlooked him at the time.

He remembers the slight.
Qualifiers are a different thing all together though.

I'm not questioning your claim that he felt slighted by it. He obviously doesn't lack for self-belief so it's not surprising he felt that way. Good enough to make the squad though? Maybe, maybe not. All I'm saying is I don't think his non-selection can be classed as a mistake by BA.

djrossie16

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
On paper we have a pretty damn impressive bunch of three point shooters to compliment Simmons. Lets hope he plays. Although the Boomers have shown they're pretty decent without him from the last Olympics.

If everyone is fully fit i'm more interested to hear people's thoughts on their closing lineup rather than their starting lineup for those close games we're gonna get.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
I linked it in my post above yours. He apparently spoke directly to foxsports.com.au.
Yep thanx for the link. Ill admit I was wrong in an earlier post. Simmons did say he wasnt happy not being selected for the last world champs, so fair enough. You were right and I was wrong. Green should definitely make the team if Exum and Simmons dont play. Ill be optimistic until its 100% confirmed.
No Ben or Dante means my team would be:
Starting five
C: Thon
pf: Baynes
SF: Ingles
Sg: Broekhoff
PG: Mills
Ingles to play point forward and bring up the ball. Joe had 14 assists in 30 minutes court time last week against the Lakers.

Bench:
Bolden
Delly
Green
Bogut
Creek
motum or Lansdale
sobey or Goulding or Adel

Perhaps cooks who's still doing well in europe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back