Prediction 2019 final 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Well all those panicking yesterday about losing top 2 can be at ease (subject to beating Carlton of course). No issue with playing the Tigers at the 'G in the likely event it pans out that way. We absolutely must win. But if we don't beat them, not only will it likely be season over for us as we'd likely travel to Perth in a prelim (knockout final), it will give the Tigers a dream run and almost gift them the flag.

I was pretty happy for the Eagles to win to send the Tigers to 5th. They will be very dangerous against us on the 'G. Especially if it's wet. I had no issue playing the Lions at the Gabba in a QF. Why would I after yesterday? I believe we would have been a bigger chance to knock over the Lions up there than the Tigers.

Even if we had to travel to Perth week one, we lose, then play Lions at the Gabba or Pies at the 'G in a prelim. Not the disaster that many were making out. Us playing at the 'G on Richmond's home ground gives the Tigers the very same advantage Brisbane would get in Brisbane. It's no different imo. We're still playing against a team on THEIR home ground with the majority of the crowd supporting them. Just because it's not interstate, it's not any easier and I think a lot of people don't realise that.

If we're good enough we will beat the tigers, and we absolutely can, but the notion that an MCG Tigers game is easier than a trip to Brissy really surprises me tbh. This Tigers team isn't the VFL team we flogged by 67-points pre-bye.

On the positive side, should we play the Tigers, I get to go to the game :)

No way because if you beat the tigers then you dont travel again including the GF. Be brave i reckon. I dont want to play at bris in the heat.

WC in Perth is the one you want to avoid the most.

Tigers at the G the next worse for mine.

We could easily turn around this weekends result against Brisbane in a final up there, even more so down here, so they don't faze me at all.

Well all those panicking yesterday about losing top 2 can be at ease (subject to beating Carlton of course). No issue with playing the Tigers at the 'G in the likely event it pans out that way. We absolutely must win. But if we don't beat them, not only will it likely be season over for us as we'd likely travel to Perth in a prelim (knockout final), it will give the Tigers a dream run and almost gift them the flag.

I was pretty happy for the Eagles to win to send the Tigers to 5th. They will be very dangerous against us on the 'G. Especially if it's wet. I had no issue playing the Lions at the Gabba in a QF. Why would I after yesterday? I believe we would have been a bigger chance to knock over the Lions up there than the Tigers.

Even if we had to travel to Perth week one, we lose, then play Lions at the Gabba or Pies at the 'G in a prelim. Not the disaster that many were making out. Us playing at the 'G on Richmond's home ground gives the Tigers the very same advantage Brisbane would get in Brisbane. It's no different imo. We're still playing against a team on THEIR home ground with the majority of the crowd supporting them. Just because it's not interstate, it's not any easier and I think a lot of people don't realise that.

If we're good enough we will beat the tigers, and we absolutely can, but the notion that an MCG Tigers game is easier than a trip to Brissy really surprises me tbh. This Tigers team isn't the VFL team we flogged by 67-points pre-bye.

Whomever we play it will be at the G.

Why can you only go if it's shitmond?

Whomever we play it will be at the G.

Why can you only go if it's s**tmond?

What I was saying is if Tigers lost today and next week we'd be heading interstate. My point is I can't understand why people view a potential Tigers game at the 'G being easier than a Brisbane game at the Gabba. A lot of people have expressed concerns about an interstate trip week one.

I personally believe beating the Tigers will be much harder than beating Brisbane in Brisbane. Richmond are proven finals performers and Brisbane are not. We also controlled and led for most of that game yesterday. We have nothing to fear by getting on a plane and going up North. I have no idea why people would consider Brisbane a more difficult assignment.

The Tigers get the same home ground advantage that the Lions would get in Brisbane. The point is moot now anyway as we won't be playing interstate as you pointed out. If we beat Carlton of course. As you've said yourself, Richmond will be a very difficult game, especially if it's wet. I think people are seriously underrating the Tigers. We can beat them of course but the Lions up there would be much easier iMO.

Richmond at the G first up, oh my we are doomed. They will destroy us.

I think we can beat them, but my concern is we come out rusty as f*** in the first quarter and play catch up after that. It's just what we do after a bye. We will peg it back but the damage could be already done. That's why I was happy to play Lions interstate, they lack finals experience and we were the better team for most of yesterday against them.

I can understand why people want to stay in VIC, but we are likely playing the best side in it (Richmond) on their home deck. If we win, great, if we lose it's likely curtains with a trip to WA in the prelim. That's if we beat GWS or Pies in a Semi.

I hate watching footy when you can not even kick 10 goals...and the older you get you just don't enjoy footy..when you watch a hole game for 8 goals...makes you just about say stuff footy
I'm hearing you Drunkcat, imagine if footy was played like 20 years ago... Less game rules and the umpires wouldn't make as many mistakes as they keep bringing new rules all the time compare to 20 years ago it was awesome footy without as many mistakes happening from the umpires...
Question also. How old are you approximately Drunkcat?

Adelaide and Port Adelaide play matched out of AO.
Brisbane out of the GABBA
Carlton and Essendon split between the MCG and Docklands.
Fremantle and West Coast out of Optus.
Hawthorn, Richmond, Collingwood and the Demons out of the MCG (and Tassie).
North, St.kilda and the Bulldogs out of Docklands.
Sydney out of the SCG.
GWS at the Showgrounds.
The Suns at Carrara.

When you break it down Geelong, North, St.Kilda and the Dogs CANNOT get a home final and have a clear advantage over their opponent. At best it will be a neutral match at the MCG against a non-tenant.
The AFL has opened the premiership up to 5-8 with the end of season bye week.

So we do not get a home ground advantage in finals, and have a diminished top 4 advantage.
So what is the point. 1-8 we're not much better off no matter where we finish. We just get one mulligan if we get 1-4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think its disrespecting Richmond as much as realising we are much better in Vic than on the road. Also wce worry me bc they have a super midfield (especially if nicnat is back) really good small forwards and the talls to stop hawkins all of which we struggle with. Bris are an unknown quantity they could blitz it ala bulldogs 2016 or they could shat the bed as half their team has never played a final. But still they have a great midfield and the kpds to stop hawkins. Richmond the disadvantage is they are experienced and wont probably choke but the advantage is knowing exactly what they will do there are no surprises its just us countering it. Their midfield is good but not great their rucks are ordinary and their side is full of GOPs that are exposeable. They have no defenders who can stop hawk 1 v 1 if we get the delivery right. I wouldnt like them in the wet as that forces you to kick long and it makes it easier for them to roll spares back mark and then play chaos footy forward and territory the other way. This is what wce struggled with when the rain came today. But in the dry id like them if our midfield is switched on and we win there they cant roll back as well thanks to 6-6-6 and we can have our forwards separate and isolate their defence. Honestly unless we are mentally scarred from the 2017 QF there is no reason we wouldnt want them over wce or bris imo.

Pies and Bulldogs win next week and we’ll have a replay of GWS v Bulldogs and Pies v Dons in Week 1

Id back the dogs and pies there (although gws will have injured players back) so if we finished 2nd and lost our first final wed get the dogs.

Adelaide and Port Adelaide play matched out of AO.
Brisbane out of the GABBA
Carlton and Essendon split between the MCG and Docklands.
Fremantle and West Coast out of Optus.
Hawthorn, Richmond, Collingwood and the Demons out of the MCG (and Tassie).
North, St.kilda and the Bulldogs out of Docklands.
Sydney out of the SCG.
GWS at the Showgrounds.
The Suns at Carrara.

When you break it down Geelong, North, St.Kilda and the Dogs CANNOT get a home final and have a clear advantage over their opponent. At best it will be a neutral match at the MCG against a non-tenant.
The AFL has opened the premiership up to 5-8 with the end of season bye week.

So we do not get a home ground advantage in finals, and have a diminished top 4 advantage.
So what is the point. 1-8 we're not much better off no matter where we finish. We just get one mulligan if we get 1-4.

I agree but the benefit is mulligan as we are poor off a bye. Also not having to travel if you play a SF.

I'd prefer it to be dry if we play Richmond. The Tigers are easily the best wet weather side in it as it suits their game-plan. As evidenced by today's game.

Agreed.

Richmond at the G first up, oh my we are doomed. They will destroy us.

Richmond and us both play defensive floods with spares. It will be a low scoring game either way no 'destroyal'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back