Prediction 2019 final 8

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont think its disrespecting Richmond as much as realising we are much better in Vic than on the road. Also wce worry me bc they have a super midfield (especially if nicnat is back) really good small forwards and the talls to stop hawkins all of which we struggle with. Bris are an unknown quantity they could blitz it ala bulldogs 2016 or they could shat the bed as half their team has never played a final. But still they have a great midfield and the kpds to stop hawkins. Richmond the disadvantage is they are experienced and wont probably choke but the advantage is knowing exactly what they will do there are no surprises its just us countering it. Their midfield is good but not great their rucks are ordinary and their side is full of GOPs that are exposeable. They have no defenders who can stop hawk 1 v 1 if we get the delivery right. I wouldnt like them in the wet as that forces you to kick long and it makes it easier for them to roll spares back mark and then play chaos footy forward and territory the other way. This is what wce struggled with when the rain came today. But in the dry id like them if our midfield is switched on and we win there they cant roll back as well thanks to 6-6-6 and we can have our forwards separate and isolate their defence. Honestly unless we are mentally scarred from the 2017 QF there is no reason we wouldnt want them over wce or bris imo.

Some really good points there, PO. I have no doubt the players will be up for a big MCG game in front of 90k+ people. Especially the young players. It's why they play professional sport. Although I still prefer Brisbane after yesterday, you do raise some good points and it's good you're embracing it.

I really rate the Tigers but we've no reason to fear them. I can't imagine we'd be mentally scared. It'll be a massive game and a game I have no doubt we're every chance of winning in we can execute for long enough and in particular, at the crucial times. It'll be a game where both sides have the momentum (similar to yesterday) and we just need to be efficient when we have it. We really need to win week one otherwise we are off to WA for a prelim. That's of course assuming we beat GWS/Pies/Dogs in the Semi.

What do you think we need to do to be switched on from the get go? Obviously the bye has been a massive issue and we haven't turned up, particularly in the first quarter. We can ill afford to play catch-up if they jump us. Mind you, now I think of it, they hardly jumped us in that last final. Scores were level half way through the third quarter before thy ran away with it and blew us away.

Im a one eyed Cats fan, but if I think we will win or lose.... And unfortunately.... I think Richmond will beat us....
I'd say 70% Richmond. 30% Geelong.

Fair enough. It's going to be tough but I think we can. They weren't my ideal opponent week one, but it's looking that way now. We certainly won't fear them but we need to shrug off this post bye stuff and be with them at half time.

If we can take our chances and be really efficient in front of goal, I think we can. We just need to find a way to score a goal or two against the trend when they have the momentum and it's on their terms. When we have the momentum, we just need to be smart with our F50 entries and not just bomb it in. We can ill afford to waste entries and scoring opportunities because they'll make us pay.

Fair enough. It's going to be tough but I think we can. They weren't my ideal opponent week one, but it's looking that way now. We certainly won't fear them but we need to shrug off this post bye stuff and be with them at half time.

If we can take our chances and be really efficient in front of goal, I think we can. We just need to find a way to score a goal or two against the trend when they have the momentum and it's on their terms. When we have the momentum, we just need to be smart with our F50 entries and not just bomb it in. We can ill afford to waste entries and scoring opportunities because they'll make us pay.
Too much taken for granted here
If we lose to Carlton next week we are likely to play against West Coast in Western Aus or Brisbane in Brisbane, because we'll finish third or fourth if that happens
Lets just focus on the Carlton game and worry about final after that. I've seen Geelong lose because of this kind of thinking on many a bad occasion.
Beat blues and play at the G most likely

If we lose to Carlton next week we are likely to play against West Coast in Western Aus or Brisbane in Brisbane, because we'll finish third or fourth if that happens
Lets just focus on the Carlton game and worry about final after that. I've seen Geelong lose because of this kind of thinking on many a bad occasion.

Yeah, that's fair. We need to turn up and beat Carlton. I can't see us being complacent though, too much is on the line, too much to lose. This should be viewed as an opportunity to iron out some things and prepare for finals. If we turn up with the intensity and right mindset, the result will take care of itself. Carlton just aren't at our level yet. I fully expect the players to be up and about and ready to give it their all.

Can someone please explain the fear of Richmond?

The 2017 QF was a disastrous night - no doubt about it.

It was also two years ago and the following players played that night who won’t be part of our finals campaign next month: Lonergan, Zuthrie, Motlop, Parsons, Smith, Mackie, Scooter, Murdoch. About 40% of the team turned over.

Since then we’ve played them three times for two narrow Richmond wins (18 points, 3 points) in 2018 when they were clearly a better side than us, and an 11 goal win this year.

Put aside the bad memories from 2017 and realise that there’s absolute no reason we won’t beat them in a QF this year.

Yeah, that's fair. We need to turn up and beat Carlton. I can't see us being complacent though, too much is on the line, too much to lose. This should be viewed as an opportunity to iron out some things and prepare for finals. If we turn up with the intensity and right mindset, the result will take care of itself. Carlton just aren't at our level yet. I fully expect the players to be up and about and ready to give it their all.
I certainly hope so, but not taking it for granted and touching wood all week

I certainly hope so, but not taking it for granted and touching wood all week

Yeah, nothing wrong with that. It's all well and good for people like me to get ahead of myself, as long as the players don't though. I think we will show respect to Carlton. They have improved and we can go hard with the dreaded week off after the game.

I doubt the team loses because of the thoughts of its nervy supporters.
But agree completely about OWAAT.
That's all the team can do now.
Even a loss against Carlton does not spell total gloom and doom, whether we go to WA or Q'land.
But clearly a win before the bye would be a bit of a tonic for us.
I have a feeling our style of play and team makeup will be different in September.
Whether we are up to winning a final this year, no idea, but as far as momentum goes, Tigers, Lions and Dogs have it.

It was also two years ago and the following players played that night who won’t be part of our finals campaign next month: Lonergan, Zuthrie, Motlop, Parsons, Smith, Mackie, Scooter, Murdoch. About 40% of the team turned over.

Since then we’ve played them three times for two narrow Richmond wins (18 points, 3 points) in 2018 when they were clearly a better side than us, and an 11 goal win this year.

Put aside the bad memories from 2017 and realise that there’s absolute no reason we won’t beat them in a QF this year.

Wow. Some serious spuds there. We're certainly a better team now. We just need to be switched on early. If we do end up playing the Tigers, I'll be filthy if we look lifeless and rusty early on after the week off. Lets hope they address it and are ready to go from the first bounce. There is no reason we can't beat them and certainly no excuses if we don't

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt the team loses because of the thoughts of its nervy supporters.
But agree completely about OWAAT.
That's all the team can do now.
Even a loss against Carlton does not spell total gloom and doom, whether we go to WA or Q'land.
But clearly a win before the bye would be a bit of a tonic for us.
I have a feeling our style of play and team makeup will be different in September.
Whether we are up to winning a final this year, no idea, but as far as momentum goes, Tigers, Lions and Dogs have it.
Doggies look particularly scary at the minute. They've timed their run perfectly

HGA, HCA
They are a very impressive even 22 with a potent forward line.
Their MF is excellent, and their defence is mean, balanced and attacking.
Whether we can beat them week 1, 2 etc, IDK, but they look like the team to beat in the GF and it should be WCE, but as a rarity, I'll be barracking for Hawks next week, depending on our result.

Wow. Some serious spuds there. We're certainly a better team now. We just need to be switched on early. If we do end up playing the Tigers, I'll be filthy if we look lifeless and rusty early on after the week off. Lets hope they address it and are ready to go from the first bounce. There is no reason we can't beat them and certainly no excuses if we can't.

Could be 4 teams on 64 points next week, but Carlton will want to finish off on a real high, absolutely nothing to lose, and a big thank you to their new coach.

1 positive is if Richmond win next week and they go into finals off the back of 9 successive victories, they’ll be due a loss.
This is just my view, but I don't believe in this that they are due to have a loss.... How is a club due for a loss when you playing good football, doesn't make any sense... Does that mean we are due to win 3 in a row ?

Oh I hope your rite and I'm wrong and I owe Pure_Ownage a 6 pack... The biggest thing is that Richmond will have 70% of the supporters screaming for Richmond and when you have the crowd behind you it's like another player for the team....
I would love Guthrie to sacrifice his game and tag Dustin Martin and just blanket him, if Guthrie only got 8 disposals and Martin only got 12.
I wish we had a tagger like Long was in the day...
Plus we have to play a ruck in either Stanley or Smith....

Oh I hope your rite and I'm wrong and I owe Pure_Ownage a 6 pack... The biggest thing is that Richmond will have 70% of the supporters screaming for Richmond and when you have the crowd behind you it's like another player for the team....
I would love Guthrie to sacrifice his game and tag Dustin Martin and just blanket him, if Guthrie only got 8 disposals and Martin only got 12.
I wish we had a tagger like Long was in the day...
Plus we have to play a ruck in either Stanley or Smith....

Yep, I agree. I think the key to silencing the crowd is putting the Tigers under pressure early. Hit the scoreboard and get out to a mini lead. If we let them get off the hook early, it may not end well for us. I think we will embrace the crowd though, even the feral Tigers. Big game at the home of footy, Danger, Kelly etc, they will be up for this in a big way.

I reckon Miers will put in a blinder too. He's the type that will really embrace this experience

My take?
There is no fear of Richmond.
To me it's fear of the AFL doing everything they can to ensure the GFC is disadvantaged even after earning a home final.

Interesting fact GABBA Capacity is 37,000. GMHBA 36,000 and still can't get a home final 🤔🤔
I think we will IF we get top 2, but that is the issue now. Let's hope we have something to hanker for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back