2019 Financial Results

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 25, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
stirling senators
Im not sure whats worse, the fact that i missed this, or the fact that no one else has called me on it in 3 days.
I like to think you were waiting for our friends from Richmond to pop in and say Richmonds number one !! ,and then going hang on number twos.

Numero Uno

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
The Eagles are very fortunate that their little brother has not had success yet in the AFL, until that day happens they will have a very massive market share in WA.
I am glad we are a very well run club but I am not proud of us making these huge profits. There is simply no need for the Eagles to charge membership prices as they do, it could be reduced by a third with very little impact on them.
If I was their owners as the WAFC I would simply be doubling the royalty to WA footy, there is simply no need what so ever for the Eagles to have multi multi millions of dollars sitting in a bank account idle and growing on a yearly basis.
Pay a royalty to their owners and give each WAFL club a million every year and then and only then can they say we are here for WA footy. Little bit tongue in cheek of course bit like every AFL club they are in it for themselves and while they are top dog it will never get questioned why they fleece their members and supporters.

Haven't the Eagles contributed something like 150 million dollars to WA footy ?
Added to this a generous financial package given each WAFL club to allow the Eagles to enter a WAFL team
Not sure how anyone can question the support WC give to local footy
If anything its the Dockers who should be paying the same royalty as the Eagles do. They have been getting a free ride on the back of the Eagles since day 1.

Not sure I agree with "fleecing" its members and supporters either
Probably clubs that obtain pokie revenue are the true 'fleecers' of the competition

Les Malone

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Haven't the Eagles contributed something like 150 million dollars to WA footy ?
Added to this a generous financial package given each WAFL club to allow the Eagles to enter a WAFL team
Not sure how anyone can question the support WC give to local footy
If anything its the Dockers who should be paying the same royalty as the Eagles do. They have been getting a free ride on the back of the Eagles since day 1.

Not sure I agree with "fleecing" its members and supporters either
Probably clubs that obtain pokie revenue are the true 'fleecers' of the competition

An absolute behemoth, but would a third club cut into those profits - or would they just have to scratch around a bit more.

The Dockers pay a share but not in the same ball park, but anyone can see their potential to do the same.

Would a third club kill the golden goose - IMO NO!

Numero Uno

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
An absolute behemoth, but would a third club cut into those profits - or would they just have to scratch around a bit more.

The Dockers pay a share but not in the same ball park, but anyone can see their potential to do the same.

Would a third club kill the golden goose - IMO NO!

doubt it
Heaps of people/posters (mainly freo supporters) were spouting that the new stadium would impact negatively on the Eagles membership/profits

how did that turn out

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Optus stadium is always going to be more expensive as with everything in Perth. If people want to go to the footy and they can’t get to a west coast game then freo is always an option, But they don’t fill the stadium. so the supply is there but the demand is clearly not.
Making a new team won’t suddenly bring the cost of football down in Perth. All sporting events in Perth, especially at new venues have always been on the expensive side. Going to the basketball is usually a few hundred dollars for my partner and I.
and that was the case from 2002-7. West coast were selling out that 43,500 seat Subiaco oval regularly to the point where they had 20,000 on the waiting list.

Some of those in the waiting list were on there for 3-5 years. Some of them ran out and of patience and became docker members.

Good that Freo were averaging around 30,000 at Subi in that 2002-7 period too

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
doubt it
Heaps of people/posters (mainly freo supporters) were spouting that the new stadium would impact negatively on the Eagles membership/profits

how did that turn out
You know what happened between 2002-7 when Eagles regularly sold out Subiaco and had 20-30,000 on that waiting list right? Keep in mind some of them were in that waiting list for 3-5 years

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
not really helping freo now is it
Give it around 10-15 years time. WAs population increases by 2 percent every year or around 50-60,000 people.

So in 10 years time, the population of WA will increase by 5-600,000.

Your team will pull 60,000 sell outs a game, your going to have 30-50,000 on the bloody waiting list. Some of them will be in there for 3-5 years.

Half of them will give and be desperate to the point that they will even watch Freo Dockers games.

Good on those poor souls too as they won't be watching Ross Lyon sexual predator tactics LoL

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Give it around 10-15 years time. WAs population increases by 2 percent every year or around 50-60,000 people.

Your team will pull 60,000 sell outs a game, your going to have 30-50,000 on the bloody waiting list. Some of them will be in there for 3-5 years.

Half of them will give and be desperate to the point that they will even watch Freo Dockers games.

Good on those poor souls too as they won't be watching Ross Lyon sexual predator tactics LoL
2.5-3.0% is mining boom growth. Ie growth of about 60,000 people per year

Since 2014 WA has grown at 1.1% per year or less, that's below the Oz average, ie growth of about 20,000 per year.

Look up the ABS stats.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
2.5-3.0% is mining boom growth. Ie growth of about 60,000 people per year

Since 2014 WA has grown at 1.1% per year or less, that's below the Oz average, ie growth of about 20,000 per year.

Look up the ABS stats.
Fair enough. But it's more like 25,000a year. Still.... It's much more than SA. As far as I know SA grows by 1% as well or 15,000 a year

Fair enough. But it's more like 25,000a year. Still.... It's much more than SA. As far as I know SA grows by 1% as well or 15,000 a year
Not since 2014. 2019 it was, but that's not the average since the mining boom ended.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
So how much will WA increase by in 10years?

& of that number how many are migrants, & of them how many will follow AFL footy, how many will follow the WA clubs, & of that number how many will follow Freo?
What sort of an indicator is the final number?

So how much will WA increase by in 10years?
How much more iron ore will the Chinese buy?

The ABS does its A (high), B (medium) and C (low) series growth scenarios and updates them every 5 years, I think a couple of years after every census.

This one was published in 2018 and does estimates for 2027 and 2066. They said

Growth will be slower in Western Australia, reaching 2.9 million in 2027.

That was using a 30 June 2017 base of 24.6m in Oz and 2.6m in WA.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
How much more iron ore will the Chinese buy?

The ABS does its A (high), B (medium) and C (low) series growth scenarios and updates them every 5 years, I think a couple of years after every census.

This one was published in 2018 and does estimates for 2027 and 2066. They said

Growth will be slower in Western Australia, reaching 2.9 million in 2027.

That was using a 30 June 2017 base of 24.6m in Oz and 2.6m in WA.
If they're already AFL supporters, then they have a club (I know quite a few non WA club supporters, not 1 has switched).

If their NRL or A league supporters, they are unlikely to change.

International immigrants tend to take up footy in the second generation.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Basically WCE have monopolized a huge part of the states footy fans, nothwistanding being a fantastically run club with a second to none winning culture.

There should be 3 AFL clubs in WA, keeping membership prices down, allowing more people to see games and diluting the strength of the WCE.

I could be wrong but even with the new stadium there are still the same amount of fans going to the footy very week in WA than there was in the 1970/80's.

I know that was the case back at Subi, possibly more now, but on the other hand maybe less as a % of the population.
Well I can say the Eagles in March 1987 did not coerce/monopolise our family. We went to their first match at Subi against the Tigers which the Eagles came home strong and won. A lot of people then were curious to see how they would go.
We had switched from South Fremantle because of the Souths players in the team.
No booking seats then - Just walk up and purchase.
We had sat through some terrible floggings from the Vics at a state level in pre State of Origin and those results burned deep, so when the Eagles arrived we thought at last a chance to redeem WA Footy and has it been redeemed you betcha in spades.
The Eagles filled a gap at that time and continue to do so, and the Eagles President who went to the local school with our son said the membership is now on 91,000.
IMHO there will not be a 3rd team for the forseeable future.

Numero Uno

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast

so your plan is to wait for frustrated and desperate eagle fans to jump ship ?

good plan

Numero Uno

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
You should be given honorary membership of the TIGES seated in Bay 13.

not sure what you're trying to say here..

for a club that's been around for 25 years, I don't think it's that controversial to suggest they contribute the same to WA footy

Capriati

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Basically WCE have monopolized a huge part of the states footy fans, nothwistanding being a fantastically run club with a second to none winning culture.

There should be 3 AFL clubs in WA, keeping membership prices down, allowing more people to see games and diluting the strength of the WCE.

I could be wrong but even with the new stadium there are still the same amount of fans going to the footy very week in WA than there was in the 1970/80's.

I know that was the case back at Subi, possibly more now, but on the other hand maybe less as a % of the population.

That's exactly why Freo was invented.

Turned out well. Only won two flags since they entered the competition :frownyface:

Back