2019 Financial Results

Remove this Banner Ad

the AFL seems to be paying its loan at a rate of knots...down to 95m - 80m paid last year it seems

Did that empty out the $90m Future Fund they built up during the 2007-11 Next Generation Strategy?

Must have, given cash at bank in 2017 was $105m and $175m in 2018 for the parent company.

Did that empty out the $90m Future Fund they built up during the 2007-11 Next Generation Strategy?

Must have, given cash at bank in 2017 was $105m and $175m in 2018 for the parent company.

they dumped it into general revenue. Capital reserve is 60m now - set to be 120m by the end of 2022.

the AFL seems to be paying its loan at a rate of knots...down to 95m - 80m paid last year it seems

So 2016, 2017,2018 they lodged accounts with consolidated and parent company info all through the report, but 2019 its all consolidated info.

So 2016, 2017,2018 they lodged accounts with consolidated and parent company info all through the report, but 2019 its all consolidated info.

yeah. I thought i was missing something when i read it.

incidentally Ports report is up but not purchaseable. Koch offered to send it to me the other day, but proesmuably forgot.

yeah. I thought i was missing something when i read it.

incidentally Ports report is up but not purchaseable. Koch offered to send it to me the other day, but proesmuably forgot.
Sorry forgot to tell you I have the 3 page minimalist stuff they handed out at the AGM 4 weeks ago.

Had a quick look at NRL and was surprised with NRL having $181m in the bank. Then noticed they had current liabilities item of other payables of $105m and thought WTF is that?

Looked around and saw a note saying - A decrease in other current payables of $8.0m due primarily to a decrease in deferred revenue as a result of part of the $100.0m advance payment received from the broadcasters in financial years recognised as income.

I then remember in one of those ARU media rights article I posted a couple of weeks ago that NRL was so worried about 9 surviving to end of the deal they negotiated in 2015 or 2016, that they asked for the final year rights to be paid up front by 9. The $8m decrease in that other payable, is a good idea of how much the rights go up each years.

Last week I was playing around with the value and cash component of AFL rights trying to work out what they might look like given an AFR article said if they extend for 2 more years who pays the inflation increase out of 7 or Foxtel?

The AFL rights value are 7 $840m cash + $60m contra adv, Foxtel $1168m cash + $140m contra advertising = $2,008m cash + $200m contra adv and $300m from Telstra gets you the $2,508m total deal.

So 7+Foxtel component looks something like this
$310m year 1 2017
$320m year 2
$330m year 3
$340m year 4
$350m year 5
$358m year 6
=====
$2,208m cash from 7+Foxtel

Last edited:

Thanks mate. I will give you a summary later, but we continued to give minimal breakdown of revenue.

The China game is a JV between the Port and the AFL so any revenues and expenses from that are split between Port's and the AFL's books.

Thanks mate. I will give you a summary later, but we continued to give minimal breakdown of revenue.

The China game is a JV between the Port and the AFL so any revenues and expenses from that are split between Port's and the AFL's books.

JV 50/50 ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact that west coast have repeatedly reported their financial outcome with and without the lathlain grants demonstrates this hang up of yours is misguided.

As John Wood would say - past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance.

Brisbane are having their $70m investment entirely funded externally. Would the figure including the depreciation of Springwood really be more meaningful than the one without?
Yes.

I could be wrong but even with the new stadium there are still the same amount of fans going to the footy very week in WA than there was in the 1970/80's.
I know that was the case back at Subi, possibly more now, but on the other hand maybe less as a % of the population.

My understanding is that, prior to West Coast entry in 1987, the WAFL average H & A round was c. 40,000.
After Perth Stadium built, probably an average crowd pw of c. 50,000? (Always plenty of empty seats for Freo. games).
Why was PS not built to 70,000 from the start (WCFC would now regularly get c. 65,00 crowds).

Perth Stadium was engineered to be "easily" upgraded to 70,000.
What would this cost, if done in the next few years?

Perth's population has nearly tripled since 1970; Melb. has increased by c. 125%; & Adelaide c. 50%.
AFL crowds have experienced a significant per capita decline in Perth, Melb., & Adelaide (& disastrous decline in Tasmania).
Melb. weekly average H & A crowds, 6 games pw (even with MCG being used much less, & no big DS; other grounds were dumps) were c. 131,000 pw in 1970.

It is interesting to note that the 11 AFL executive are being paid c.$10.4m. pa (including $1.8m for G. Mc Lachlan). The AFL Commissioners might, collectively, be paid an additional $170k, for total pa Executive expenditure of $10.57 in 2019.

2. The Age M. Gleeson 18.2

This article states that the AFL funded the AFLW for $16.4m in 2019- & an extra $6m in 2020.
Wages were c. $10m for AFLW players in 2019- what was the other $6m spent on?

The article says there are 586,422 female participants in 2019, a very good increase of 11.1% on the 530,166 of 2018.

3. Is there any other Not-For-Profit organisation in Australia and/or the world (excluding the USA) that pays (including all bonuses, super & other benefits/fringe benefits etc.) its executives, collectively, approx. c. $10.4m pa? Or more?
And the NFP organisation CEO more than $1.8m. Or more?

Ditto the above, for USA-based organisations only*

* Exclude the CEO salaries of :-

. The National Boys & Girls Club of America.
. The Metropolitan Museum Of Art, New York
. National Jewish Health, USA
. National Centre For Missing & Exploited Children, USA

Last edited:
3. Is there any other Not-For-Profit organisation in Australia and/or the world (excluding the USA) that pays (including all bonuses, super & other benefits/fringe benefits) its executives, collectively, approx. c. $10.4m pa? Or more?
And the NFP organisation CEO more than $1.8m. Or more?

Ditto the above, for USA-based organisations*

* Exclude the CEO salaries of :-

. The National Boys & Girls Club of America.
. The Metropolitan Museum Of Art, New York
. National Jewish Health, USA
. National Centre For Missing & Exploited Children, USA

NFL ie HQ was a tax exempt not for profit body until about 2015 but I think Commissioner Roger Goodell's US$30m+ salary is one reason why they accepted a change to being taxed. His executive team would earn at least what he does in total. its now about US$40m and he signed a US$200m, 6 year deal a couple of years ago, which includes incentives.

NHL still has a tax exempt status. Can't get up dated salary of Commissioner Gary Bettman, but in 2014 it was US$9.5m. Other 2 major US sports are not tax exempt

FIFA is a not for profit. How much did Sepp Blatter get paid - official and unofficial 10mil? Same with IOC.

Edit https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/gianni-infantino-salary-blatter-fifa-financial-report

Last edited:
AFL Annual Reports
AFL Club Results in Media - Reports not yet available
Rankings

Stadiums
Other Governing Body
Other Club

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back