2019 Financial Results

Remove this Banner Ad

aka the majority.
I've whinged about Accounting Standards for years & cant see anything change anytime soon.

But the ignorance of the average Joe isn't reason to change accounting standards. It's like blaming the author for misleading a reader that only bothers to read the first and last pages of the book.

A marginal profit. You can see in Richmond's Annual Report.

AL had a revenue of 24.8m (pg 19) and 24.2 million in expenses (pg 15)

he said its yet to have a profit - that is wrong

ive commented on the profitability of AL before, so dont assume im some fanboi who thinks it made $10t

he said its yet to have a profit - that is wrong

ive commented on the profitability of AL before, so dont assume im some fanboi who thinks it made $10t

Let's just say that AL isn't exactly bringing in the big bucks for Richmond at this stage.

600K profit on revenue of 24.8m is like 2 percent profit.

Last edited:
Let's just say that AL isn't exactly bringing in the big bucks for Richmond at this stage.

600K profit on revenue of 24.8m is like 2 percent profit.

That's paltry.

link to where i said its bringing in big bucks. link to where of bragged about its ROI

But the ignorance of the average Joe isn't reason to change accounting standards. It's like blaming the author for misleading a reader that only bothers to read the first and last pages of the book.

Not suggesting it is, abnormal income reported as such would be a start, somewhere across a season it skews a fans understanding, journos are a beyond help.
A standard reporting template would be a start.

dude AL has been profitable for the past two years - you're better than that

My mistake, was not my understanding, I should have checked.
I went looking for the very recent success in deference to our earlier discussion around the sector, I was not having a shot, wrongly understood it was still in the growth phase.
I was wrong.

My mistake, was not my understanding, I should have checked.
I went looking for the very recent success in deference to our earlier discussion around the sector, I was not having a shot, wrongly understood it was still in the growth phase.
I was wrong.

All good, I was being cheeky ;)

its still in the growth phase, but not as severe as when Wodonga and that we being set up (so closer to the top of the curve). also, still not sure if this line is where our KGI and school costs are put. looking at the annual report, it seems the best fit, but i dont know explicitly.

Also for the record, AL is about the long term for RFC and building a revenue asset to replace our pokies. Given it doesnt deliver an instant return like pokies, it was always going to take time. happy to be patient and back the club on this one, and the new contact at this time is a good thing.

MCC Annual Report

Also browsing the minutes from last year's AGM I noticed that MCC's lease with the MCG Trust had been extended until 2082, not sure I've seen that mentioned here before. The MCG Trust 2018/19 Annual Report does mention an extension but no specifics.

Its almost a certainty that it will always be extended. Theres no requirement in the legislation for there to even be a tender if the MCC is a candidate

A few tidbits from the GWS report.

They once again lost a substantial amount (~$700K) on membership (and merch).

They have a loan from the AFL, which went from $2M last year to $3.75M...So in addition to a hefty 'extra' distribution, the AFL gave them an extra $1.75M as a 'loan', and given there is no interest expense recorded, it seems to be an interest free one.

AFL has committed to giving them $24,273,362 in 2020 and $24,575,026 in 2021 (although that was pre-covid, so....)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never knew there was an ‘extra’ distribution

when the AFL awards the GF to qld it will continue the tradition of them giving us squat

Which, coincidentally, is about what you put in.

BTW. Don't forget the money they give to your owners...

They have a loan from the AFL, which went from $2M last year to $3.75M...So in addition to a hefty 'extra' distribution, the AFL gave them an extra $1.75M as a 'loan', and given there is no interest expense recorded, it seems to be an interest free one.

AFL has committed to giving them $24,273,362 in 2020 and $24,575,026 in 2021 (although that was pre-covid, so....)

Interest from July 1 as I recall, not sure whether that applies to outstanding loans or just loans after that date.

Bit of a fan over the way the membership dollars are recorded.

Last edited:

Most loans from a shareholder to a subsidiary are interest-free.

Which, coincidentally, is about what you put in.

BTW. Don't forget the money they give to your owners...

The WAFC, do you have the money pumped into the Vic version, whats its name at the moment?
How does the cost of the NAB Cup compare with the money put in to the WAFL Colts?

Serious question, do you have a link to the financials of the AFL 2019 numbers - I can get the Report but not the financials.

The WAFC, do you have the money pumped into the Vic version, whats its name at the moment?
How does the cost of the NAB Cup compare with the money put in to the WAFL Colts?

Serious question, do you have a link to the financials of the AFL 2019 numbers - I can get the Report but not the financials.

financials are down the bottom of the report (pg 154 according to the index)

No idea what goes into AFLVic They don't tend to disclose in house transactions. I dare say it's a lot less than Vic clubs put in though (through AFL members and stadium deals that put most of the clubs earn money into the AFLs pocket) after all, we have to pay not just for our own state, but for NSW, QLD & Tas as well.

Last edited:
Thks, only 87 pages , no Financials.

Tried The Wookie site & BF thread, same result.

I understand why they get embarrassing historic data pulled down, but if it happened here, I have been searching recently & drawn a blank, more inclined to think its me :(

AFL financials are definitely in the report. I accessed them last night off the AFL website, and again seconds ago. Note that its not 86 pages - its 86 double sided pages - two to a page in the pdf.

Interesting 2020 financial comments in The Aus:
' .... bright spots. Port Adelaide chairman David Koch says the club’s throwback “prison bar” guernsey has been the top selling AFL jumper in the country this year, providing a revenue boost.'

Digressing, the position of Ports 'prison bar' guernsey in our games history is a challenge for the small minded fragile thought that dominates AFL political correctness as demonstrated by VFL/AFL history.

West Coast on its way to being a financial behemoth, to the extent it isnt already. Cannot see the run of profit ending anytime soon, even with a period of time out of the 8. Massive assets, huge corporate returns. The fact it is oversubscribed for members means even a drop off in crowds if the team stinks it up for a few years will not hurt as much as most clubs, as a lot of those empty seats will already be paid for.

Another 5 - 10 years will put a massive amount of daylight between them and the rest of the comp, and nothing short of a calamity will stop it.

2020 speculation or informed guesstimate?
  • JOHN STENSHOLT
    AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL
    565042f6c46144199837e80eeef27f40

COURTNEY WALSH
    AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL

e904d74fee03e75c67f498b00079dcec
  • 4:47PM SEPTEMBER 18, 2020

'If there is one club that can encapsulate just how savage coronavirus has been on AFL balance sheets and the financial swing it has caused, it is the West Coast Eagles.

Last year, the Eagles posted the biggest profit in Australian sport when they recorded a net surplus of $8.8m from $88m revenue. Merchandise sales after the club’s 2018 grand final win boomed and membership surged. West Coast made $35m revenue in 2019 from membership and its gate takings, and $14m in corporate hospitality. But this year, with at best a reduced capacity and with most fans missing at games, it will make a “substantial loss” for 2020, according to one source. That likely means a negative financial swing of $10-15m.'

2020 speculation or informed guesstimate?

'If there is one club that can encapsulate just how savage coronavirus has been on AFL balance sheets and the financial swing it has caused, it is the West Coast Eagles.

Last year, the Eagles posted the biggest profit in Australian sport when they recorded a net surplus of $8.8m from $88m revenue. Merchandise sales after the club’s 2018 grand final win boomed and membership surged. West Coast made $35m revenue in 2019 from membership and its gate takings, and $14m in corporate hospitality. But this year, with at best a reduced capacity and with most fans missing at games, it will make a “substantial loss” for 2020, according to one source. That likely means a negative financial swing of $10-15m.'
Last year WCE had $26.9m membership revenue and $9.4m of match revenue. You would think that $9.4m is close to just $100k in 2020 given members were the people who got into the ground with very few oppo and neutral allowed to buy tickets. Then there is all the corporate game day revenue lost ie refunds for boxes, advertising fees cut, and no corporate functions.

As I wrote on the Port board, the bigger they are the harder they fall. But WCE, Collingwood, Hawthorn (pokies) and Richmond have cash reserves to handle that bigger lost revenue than the smaller clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back