List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread - Part V

Remove this Banner Ad

Having said that, I look forward to the day when we smash them at Kardinia Park in front of all their supporters because none of ours can get a seat. It will happen. And I will be quietly chuffed.

And may their fall off the cliff come soon and be long-lasting!
( Sorry Stuv.)

prefect for them I reckon

But WTF did not Newnes do us a favour and go RFA?

Also I thought the Saints had made him an offer? If so I thought that this made a player ineligible to be a DFA?

Last edited:
Don't forget Hunter was Richo'd from the start. I predict he will make massive improvements next year.
Do we really need to continue this kind of crap? Nothing Richo did hampered Clark's development. He was dropped when he deserved to be dropped and brought back when he deserved it as well. He is a second year player and therefore inconsistent.

But WTF did not Newnes do us a favour and go FRA?

Also I thought the Saints had made him an offer? If so I thought that this made a player ineligible to be a DFA?
I would assume the saints will delist him if he finds something better. Seems like we gave him a low offer and he's been trying to find something better

Yeah, I yearn for the time when we can bully sides again. I can remember being at the Dome when we were flying and smashing the Roos unmercifully and seeing people in their cheer squad crying. There was that compassion at first but also this immense feeling of fu** yeah, being better than others vicariously is awesome as fu**. I want that back. I'd love to se Scott pensioned off after we decimate them at the Cattery. Please let it come true before I soften and become nice.

Things can turn around quickly. I think we have bought in five players who are best 22. We will be better next year. Additional organic improvement, a new coach, and the emergency of young talent can cause the unthinkable to being possible. Look at Brisbane this year.

On the flip side, teams with ageing champions quickly fall away if the younger players do not fill the vacuum. Look at Adelaide this year.

I think we will surprise this year. Genuine finals chance.

Things can turn around quickly. I think we have bought in five players who are best 22. We will be better next year. Additional organic improvement, a new coach, and the emergency of young talent can make unthinkable become possible. Look at Brisbane this year.

On the flip side, teams with ageing champions quickly fall away if the younger players do not fill the vacuum. Look at Adelaide this year.

I think we will surprise this year. Genuine finals chance.

But WTF did not Newnes do us a favour and go FRA?

If there is a contract in front of him he cannot go as a DFA. Dont always believe the AFL.com.au articles as they arent always researched properly.

I doubt the club wants him to just pack up and leave, theyde much rather him get his finger out and play like it was 2016 again.

Would rather keep White for another year than Newnes.
And especially would not want a 2 year contract for Newnes.

We already are dealing with contracts that are too long for reserves level players who are not in the "developing" age category.... e.g McKenzie, Young, Kent, Joyce

If there is a contract in front of him he cannot go as a DFA. Dont always believe the AFL.com.au articles as they arent always researched properly.

I doubt the club wants him to just pack up and leave, theyde much rather him get his finger out and play like it was 2016 again.

what if we withdraw the contract offer and delist him? Surely he is then a DFA?

How I’ve been looking at it, you have to ask one question. Who of this 5 would get a game for Richmond. Answer is 4 out of the 5 and Howard would be the one that misses out. If you look at it like that it’s an undeniable hugely successful trade period.
Dan Butler joined because he literally couldn't get a game for Richmond.

wouldn't we all?

I'd like to close the book on all the underachievers that we've held onto hoping that they eventually found the form and consistency that would warrant them pulling on an AFL jumper and not kept letting us down year after year.

there is really only 1 way to get A grade talent to the Saints, and that's via the draft. we paid a lot for Hill and I'm ok with that, but if you have to pay out 2/3/4 picks to bring in A grade talent then your never going to catch up. For us we need to absolutely nail 1 or 2 drafts, get a real solid 3 players out of those drafts and for 2 or 3 of them to become B+/A grade players, we may have already seen it in the last 2 years but we can't afford more Billing's who take 5 yrs to reach potential and consistency. Its a big ask.

That's a nice ideal, but we only need go back as far as Paddy McCartin to prove that reality doesn't always match up. Even if he hadn't had all his issues with concussion and diabetes, would he have gone on to be an elite player? And he's just an example at our club, there are players at all 18 clubs picked every year who don't go on to justify their high draft positions.

The only way that your idea works is when you have a great recruitment team who can pick players well. Otherwise, it's always a gamble. The great thing about trading is that it's much less of a gamble and that's why you have to pay more.

So we went to the draft in 2017 and 2018 and picked up some great talent and we've gone to the trade table this year and will probably next year too. It's a shame we can't do both, but I'm happy to focus on good trades for a couple of years and pray our scouts are good enough to pick a smokie in the middle of round three. It seems like we're getting the balance right.

These guys right here are probably our brightest talents, and that's being quite exclusive. Good mix there.
Trade in
Roberton
Membrey
Carlisle
Steele
Hannebury
Hill
Howard

Draft in
Ross
Billings
Gresham
Battle
Marshall
Clark
Coffield
King
Bytel
Wilkie

I would have liked Mick Ryan to have asked Gags in that interview today what our specific strategy is for the 2019 draft, as in do we just go for best talent left at #51, or do we search for a specific type? Do we target players who drop down the order because they are not all-round stars and sacrifice one key area in order to get value? For example; an otherwise elite player who doesn't have a great tank, or application issues, or a little too short (Caleb Daniel was picked at #46 for example).

Not that anyone from the club would want to publicise our targets, but I'd be fascinated to know how they will mitigate our late involvement in the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it makes sense to trade for this year and next, rather than draft. We have a surplus of one wood players that can do a job but whom need to be weeded out. When the drafts are weak, or compromised the picks are better utilised on proven talent...or even marginal upgrades on the players surplus to needs.
When there is a good pool of players and the draft is not compromised then by all means go for the younger talent, but it is imperative to get balance and cohesion among the group, so that these kids can develop...another reason why I think we will be trading more over the short term than drafting.

Does anyone else feel we could have kept 56 and picked up Butler as DFA? That would have given us 2 picks in 3rd round in draft and put us in better position overall. Its good being a reasonable club and have that image or we could be more smarter..

So far with the ins/outs we have 4 list spots

Out: Longer, Pierce, Armo, Rowe, Acres, Bruce, Steven, White, Newnes and rice (most likely)

In: Howard, Ryder, Hill, Jones and Butler, Wilkie (upgrade)

Correct me if I am wrong but does that mean we will use 2 x picks on draft plus Wilkie and 2 in rookie draft?
Gags said last night after praising how great Richmond were to work with that we wanted to operate in good faith and give them a pick that showed Butler's worth. Another thing that I gladly took as a dig at Geelong and how they operated.

anyone got a link to the interview that Gags did on SEN this arvo?

I’ve perused some of the other club boards and what is apparent is that other supporters reckon Geelong looked bog ordinary. On the other side, we have been seen to be compassionate and caring. I suspect those views are also representative of the wider football supporting community. Sometimes life is more important than whether you win or lose.

Having said that, I look forward to the day when we smash them at Kardinia Park in front of all their supporters because none of ours can get a seat. It will happen. And I will be quietly chuffed.
Football karma is siting there waiting to get them big time. And it will be glorious to watch.

I might be in the minority but we as a club have lost the plot. A team that does what we have done this trade period must mean that we believe we are in the premiership window. We are topping up for a flag tilt. We must have finished top 4 last year. Silly me, I thought we finished near the bottom.

IMHFO, we will be better next year. Heck, we may even play finals. But we will not win a flag or even get anywhere near top 4 with this stupid strategy.

End of rant.

Except for Ryder its not as as if we picked up 30 +year old like geelong has. long term players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back