List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread - Part V

May 12, 2006
Lal Lal
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Elsternwick AFC
Actually with Steven, Acres and Bruce also leaving, 9 senior players (Bruce, Steven, Acres, White, Young, Rice, Longer, Pierce, Armitage, Row is a rookie) have come off the senior list. 5 coming in.. That leaves 4 spots, upgrading Wilkie then draft 3.

Pierce was on the rookie list. But it does appear we have 36 players under contract on the senior list at the moment and we can have 40. So one of Brown or Newnes can stay, and it would appear the current thinking is Newnes comes back if he cannot find a better offer, and if he does, we keep Brown or sign another delisted free agent, or have an extra rookie (we currently have five, with Alabakis a non-Category A rookie IIRC).

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Pierce was on the rookie list. But it does appear we have 36 players under contract on the senior list at the moment and we can have 40. So one of Brown or Newnes can stay, and it would appear the current thinking is Newnes comes back if he cannot find a better offer, and if he does, we keep Brown or sign another delisted free agent, or have an extra rookie (we currently have five, with Alabakis a non-Category A rookie IIRC).
Think newnes is outta here. Maybe brown as well if they want real late picks

Think newnes is outta here. Maybe brown as well if they want real late picks

If both leave I think we get Biggy, upgrade Joyce and Wilkie and then leave spots free for supplemental players in the preseason ala Marsh and Sydney Stack. We need at least 1 more, probably 2, mature rucks on the list.

Also, like the conviction in execution and decision making this off season. Five players nominated the Saints? We got the trades done. R Young contracted but not gonna make it? Pay him out.

Makes us trading up to draft him over Pickett (to pair with best mate Matty Parker) a little bit more painful though...

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hanners fractured bone in foot 8 weeks. Stumbled down some steps apparently.

Season gone fractured feet ruin peoples careers let alone seasons. No preseason yet again.

Lemons are ******* expensive these day.
rubish .... atheltes come back from fractured feet all the time ... theres 26 bones in your foot some are more troublesome than others but most will heal on an average every day person in 4 to 6 weeks depending on the bone hats broken .. its currently the 18th of October the footy doesnt start until March . with the top medical advise and treatment available to him i have no doubt Hannas will be fine ... most issues with the brake not healing is cause people put weight on the bone too soon ...

rubish .... atheltes come back from fractured feet all the time ... theres 26 bones in your foot some are more troublesome than others but most will heal on an average every day person in 4 to 6 weeks depending on the bone hats broken .. its currently the 18th of October the footy doesnt start until March . with the top medical advise and treatment available to him i have no doubt Hannas will be fine ... most issues with the brake not healing is cause people put weight on the bone too soon ...
Its not rubbish the bone he has busted has ended a few careers

FQFjt

Club Legend
Sep 11, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
How do you say that , Lonie , Parker , Kent and Gresh are the ones Butler is up against , not young . Young was done after his first game

Because by swapping out Young for Butler, the overall quality of the group improves. Do we want Long, Lonie, Kent and Parker competing with Robbie Young for a spot in the team or with Dan Butler? Rising tide lifts all boats.

What bone is that?
The Herald Sun can reveal Hannebery’s latest setback came when he stumbled on some outdoor steps at his sister’s house in Perth.

The midfielder fractured a metatarsal bone in his right foot in the midmorning accident, which occurred at the start of the week.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Makes us trading up to draft him over Pickett (to pair with best mate Matty Parker) a little bit more painful though...
i think everyone is over valueing Pickett .... in the draft he was injured and expected to miss the majority of the year .. Parker aslo needed to find his own feet at the club and not rely on his mate and mentor to hold his hand ...
Pickett is one of the great storys of our game but he player a blinder in a game where the Tigers had control of pretty much from the start .. lets see how he goes when hes in a tight contest against a equal pegged opponent before we start labeling him the next GOAT

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Because by swapping out Young for Butler, the overall quality of the group improves. Do we want Long, Lonie, Kent and Parker competing with Robbie Young for a spot in the team or with Dan Butler? Rising tide lifts all boats.
To improve the side though we don’t want butler to compete with them. We want him to be clearly better. If he only competing we aren’t improving which is actually how I see that recruitment.

Ads734

Premiership Player
Jan 24, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
So Just doing some research on where our list is currently is at.

I've ranked the players in terms of who I think is our best in their respective positions to worst.
In addition, I've placed them where I think they will play this year.
Lastly I've seperated into small and tall forwards, mids etc. There may be the odd exception of a mid sized player

Break down
KPD - 8
Small defenders - 9

Defenders
1. Carlisle - KPD
2. Roberton - KPD/General Defender
3. Howard - KPD
4. Battle - KPD
5. Clarke - Small Defender
6. Geary - Small defender
7. Wilkie - Small defender
8. Jones - Small defender
9. Savage - Small defender
10. Webster - Small Defender
11. Brown* - KPD
12. Coffield - Small defender
13. Paton - Small defender
14. Marsh - Small defender/KPD
15. Austin - KPD
16. Joyce - KPD
17. Clavarino - KPD

Mids (big is over 185cm non inclusive)

Break down
Big Mids - 5 but 2 are wingers
Small mids - 7
1. Ross - Big Mid
2. Hill - small mid
3. Billings - small mid
4. Hannebry - small mid
5. Gresham - small mid
6. Steele - Big mid
7. Dunstan - Small mid
8. Sinclair - small mid
9. Newnes* - Big mid
10. Phillips - Big mid
11. Langlands - Big mid
12. Bytel - Big mid

Forwards

Break down
Small/mid - 7
KPF - 3 Including McCartin but not including Ryder.
1. Membrey - small Fwd /Medium Fwd
2. King KPF
3. Kent Small
4. Lonie - Small
5. Butler - small
6. Parker - Mid size
7. Long - Small/Mid
8. Hind - small
9. Mccartin* - KPF
10. Mayo - KPF

Ruck
1. Marshal
2. Ryder
3. Alabakis

Analysis

At this stage there are some obvious results.
1. We have way to many defender, more specifically we have to manny small defenders. Some like Paton, Coff, Clarke and Jones will probably play higher up the ground but to me at this stage their dominant position is in defence. It's easily our line with the most depth but I think we;ve just got way too many talented players who are gonna struggle to get opportunity. To me there is a fine line between selection pressure and just too many viying for the same spot. You need to allow guys to have confidence to make mistakes etc etc.

2. We are still very light on in the ruck stocks. One injury and we are basically screwed. Think we'll need to draft one in (potentially Biggy.)

3. After trading Acres we are exceptionally light on for big bodied mids with really only two on the inside. This has me worried TBH.

4. Following on from our ruck, issues I think more concerning is the lack of hieght in the forward line. The pressure on membrey and King this year will be huge and I think we're gonna struggle with out Bruce. So one would think that Battle may move back forward epspecially if Robo is back. Even so I think we are really tight in the forward line. In addition, we are very inexperianced, it was very difficult to rank the forwards.

To improve the side though we don’t want butler to compete with them. We want him to be clearly better. If he only competing we aren’t improving which is actually how I see that recruitment.

I agree.
We could say that Pierce out Mayo in, improves the overall quality of the list.
But we hope that we don't have to test that in 2020.

395b78abc60ad05d2691aa5864ea93bf.jpg

Can we still trade this guy?

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Its not rubbish the bone he has busted has ended a few careers
who's career ? the issue with the 5th metatarsal in professional atheletes is from stress fractures from over use the ware and tear eventually causes the bone to become brittle and healing can be troublesome with it not always healing over properly and needing to be pinned .. from the story we have heard so far it was an impact injury from a slip so very possible not a degenerative injury ...
i have broken both my 3rd and 5th metatarsal bone with my 5th not requiring surgery it hurts lots but again if you follow the instructions given from the doctors and you let it heal properly it like any other bone in the body will heal pretty well with no future issues ... and thats from my bunky private health insurance paid doctor i would guess Hannas would be looked at by the best in the business ..

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
For Dan's sake he better hope it's just a 2 week setback. Way to kill the momentum buddy.

Seriously wtf was he thinking? We didn't even get 48hrs to enjoy all positivity from our trades.
ummm are you saying players shouldnt use steps in the off season ? i mean he wasnt waterskiing or trampolineing

NeXus Nick

All Australian
Jan 28, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
I have a source who reckons Alabakis will be sharing the number 1 ruck duties with Ryder. For example, after Ryder plays 5 games he will be rested and Alabakis will come in for a couple of games. Imagine a 211 cm giant rucking for us and then going forward and terrorising the opposition's defenders.

ummm are you saying players shouldnt use steps in the off season ? i mean he wasnt waterskiing or trampolineing
I’m guessing he slipped on his Sydney laurel again.

Back