List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread - Part V

Remove this Banner Ad

Satan was highly regarded by the afl was probably due a promotion before thinking with his prick like most males

Saints did well to head hunt him

Not sure we can take the credit. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Head Office told us to take him....nevertheless it appears to have turned out pretty well for us so far.

Not sure we can take the credit. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Head Office told us to take him....nevertheless it appears to have turned out pretty well for us so far.
Well that’s a positive means the AFL want to keep you around and not piss you off out of the comp

Can we lock Gubby, Satan and Gaggs in to long term contracts??

Finally we have a team that matches up with any other club going around. It's a nice feeling.
otZZ6Yy.jpg

AFL.com trade period ranking: 1st

In: Dan Butler, Bradley Hill, Dougal Howard, Zak Jones, Paddy Ryder, pick No.51, 2020 round four pick (Sydney), 2020 round four pick (Port Adelaide)
Out: Josh Bruce, Jack Steven, pick No.6, pick No.59, pick No.76, 2020 round two pick, 2020 round three pick, 2020 round four pick
2019 draft picks: 51, 82

What they couldn't get done: Next to nothing. Only failure was bringing in something higher than pick 58 for Jack Steven. Seeing Ben King re-sign at Gold Coast was a blow for future plans.

Verdict: Massive tick to land five first-choice players in – including an A-Grade wingman in Hill, and 10-year full-back in Howard – without touching next year's first pick. If Max King and Paddy Ryder can fill the void left by Josh Bruce straight away, then finals are on the cards. – Mitch Cleary

Rating: 8.5/10

Like many others I believe our club has traded exceptionally well in what we gave for what we've got. Stuv handled honourably, Acres has gone home with a better contract, Brucey gone also for a better contract that will probably see his career out. The very best for each of them!!

But, we wanted certain players and have planned for it for a long time. Since way before Richo was finished. We've brought thise players in for a very reasonable cost. We've completed our plan, if not our wishlist, but that's the stuff of dreams. And we're on the way to that magicsl place!!

For years I've said that we need speed, great decisionmakers and foot skills. That's what we've got. Each of our recruits have at least two of these core ingredients. Hill has all three.

However, to me a critical factor barely hinted at in this biblical thread, that could dramatically change the chemistry of our team now, is the indigenous mix. Ryder is undervalued. He is much more than a backup ruckman, he is a better forward who will always require a top defender to stop him marking in the forward 50. Even more importantly, Paddy is a leader. Just watch the influence he will have on Hill, Parker, Gresham, Long and Young. They'll really start doing the business. Our team will improve immensely just because of Paddy's presence and example.

This trade period has seen the transformation of our team, thanks to the incredible work done by the club for the past 12 months. Couldn't be more pleased with how they have conducted themselves!!

So my opinion is I'd rate our trade period as such:

PLAYER NOMINATIONS: A+. For what was available and the onfield results I think we did a tremendous job in getting the names we did to nominate us

PLAYER RETENTION: B+. Held onto what we wanted. It sucks we couldn't have stuv retire a one club player. In hindsight we should have traded him last year. Would have been nice to find homes for Newnes and McKenzie. Longer was a disaster.

TRADES: C-. We did well getting the deals across the line for the contracted players but I felt we gave away what we had too cheaply. The only exception to this was the dougal and Ryder trade, which was excellent value. The rest we had to give up more to bring talent in. But when the shoe was on the other foot we let club's dictate to us what the price was for our players. The bruce and acres trades are a good example of this. Especially the bruce trade.

OVERALL LIST IMPROVEMENT: B-. I think the Ins are a big improvement. However we still haven't addressed the engine of the side. The midfield. Hill will help but he's not someone to improve the core of your side. Hes not going to drive real improvement the way a genuine inside mid will. He also doesn't have the length of tenure of someone like Clark, we really have 3-4 years max of footy here. So we will need to see improvement from within. Jones and Dougal are money ball types with high potential. Ryder is short term depth. Butler is depth with the potential to cement a spot. We've bolstered the defence with Howard which given the age of carlisle is a smart move. We've added pace and disposal to the side. Losing bruce hurts. Acres and stuv not so much. We miss a year in the draft. So really we are looking for immediate return on investment in the next 3 years at the expense of the long term. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing given how hard we've hit the draft in the past and our time out of finals. Here's to hoping we get even more aggressive with the engine of our midfield next year.

Like many others I believe our club has traded exceptionally well in what we gave for what we've got. Stuv handled honourably, Acres has gone home with a better contract, Brucey gone also for a better contract that will probably see his career out. The very best for each of them!!

But, we wanted certain players and have planned for it for a long time. Since way before Richo was finished. We've brought thise players in for a very reasonable cost. We've completed our plan, if not our wishlist, but that's the stuff of dreams. And we're on the way to that magicsl place!!

For years I've said that we need speed, great decisionmakers and foot skills. That's what we've got. Each of our recruits have at least two of these core ingredients. Hill has all three.

However, to me a critical factor barely hinted at in this biblical thread, that could dramatically change the chemistry of our team now, is the indigenous mix. Ryder is undervalued. He is much more than a backup ruckman, he is a better forward who will always require a top defender to stop him marking in the forward 50. Even more importantly, Paddy is a leader. Just watch the influence he will have on Hill, Parker, Gresham, Long and Young. They'll really start doing the business. Our team will improve immensely just because of Paddy's presence and example.

This trade period has seen the transformation of our team, thanks to the incredible work done by the club for the past 12 months. Couldn't be more pleased with how they have conducted themselves!!
Great post.

Adding up the draft pick points, and going by my own valuations of players and future picks in and out, I have us concluding the trade period at a points loss of about pick 42.

So we've brought five players, speedsters, premiership players, grand finalists, AA, leaders, culture changers... all for the cost of donating pick 42 to be split amongst seven other clubs. It's been a stellar period, era defining, once in a generation event. Gold medals for Gallagher, Lethlean and Allen.

And I have no doubt our recruiters will nab a hidden gem or two with our very late picks. The last few drafts have been very good compared to the decade previous, ugh.

Top stuff team!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trade period rating B+ overall

Been a strong advocate of Zak Jones and for those that are having doubts about him please watch these highlights!!

What a team we have next year if everything clicks for us and we have an injury free year. Also I hope like hell that we play Josh Battle in his favourite position at CHF because this kid is not only a very good defender but a 50+ goal future forward.
Nathan Jones grew up a Saints supporter.

Do we know if the bro did too!

PLAYER NOMINATIONS: A+. For what was available and the onfield results I think we did a tremendous job in getting the names we did to nominate us

PLAYER RETENTION: B+. Held onto what we wanted. It sucks we couldn't have stuv retire a one club player. In hindsight we should have traded him last year. Would have been nice to find homes for Newnes and McKenzie. Longer was a disaster.

TRADES: C-. We did well getting the deals across the line for the contracted players but I felt we gave away what we had too cheaply. The only exception to this was the dougal and Ryder trade, which was excellent value. The rest we had to give up more to bring talent in. But when the shoe was on the other foot we let club's dictate to us what the price was for our players. The bruce and acres trades are a good example of this. Especially the bruce trade.

OVERALL LIST IMPROVEMENT: B-. I think the Ins are a big improvement. However we still haven't addressed the engine of the side. The midfield. Hill will help but he's not someone to improve the core of your side. Hes not going to drive real improvement the way a genuine inside mid will. He also doesn't have the length of tenure of someone like Clark, we really have 3-4 years max of footy here. So we will need to see improvement from within. Jones and Dougal are money ball types with high potential. Ryder is short term depth. Butler is depth with the potential to cement a spot. We've bolstered the defence with Howard which given the age of carlisle is a smart move. We've added pace and disposal to the side. Losing bruce hurts. Acres and stuv not so much. We miss a year in the draft. So really we are looking for immediate return on investment in the next 3 years at the expense of the long term. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing given how hard we've hit the draft in the past and our time out of finals. Here's to hoping we get even more aggressive with the engine of our midfield next year.
Yep, I think we have had aligned views throughout.

What I would add is: we are now more attractive and we’ve proven we’ll get it done no matter. This then feeds into next year - we need a freebie. A top player for nothing. We deserve it and we need it.

Haven't read the last few hours so forgive me if this has been mentioned, but let's not forget one crucial improvement to our forward line, Paddy Ryder! All jokes aside, when he plays ruck we will have Marshall playing forward, which could be close to 50% of the game. He played forward his whole junior career and when moved out of position and into the ruck he didnt do half bad...

With him forward alongside Ming, Membrey and even Battle, who needs Bruce or Bing! (Ok I need Bing still).

Clearly the club has decided that the rebuilding though the draft period has ended & its time to fill out the team with trades & go for broke.

About bloodly time.

My concern is that I am unsure we obtained enough genuine talent during the drafting period. A lot of players have failed to come on. But we could not continue drifting along going nowhere slowly.

Next year we eitheir improve or

Yep, I think we have had aligned views throughout.

What I would add is: we are now more attractive and we’ve proven we’ll get it done no matter. This then feeds into next year - we need a freebie. A top player for nothing. We deserve it and we need it.
The problem we are having is the guys we are bringing in are not addressing the core we need to improve. Even hanners is playing more outside on the wing.

Our big ticket trade items over the last 8 years have been:
Hill
Hanners
Steele
Freeman
Carlisle
Longer
Hickey
Lee
Saad
Milera

Of this the only one who's really in the engine is Steele. Hanners more outside but can spend time in there. Hill purely outside.

The rest are wasted. Carlisle now is probably out of our window. Stuv our best driver of the engine is gone. Armitage gone.

We really need an acquisition in there or have someone really do it from the inside. I can't see who will step up though. Ross we know what we will get. Clark too young. Gresham better fwd. Coffield still trying to keep up down back. Bytel too young.

The crouch brothers would be high on our radar for 2020 along with Kelly who might be falling out of contract given the clause. Luke Parker and Ollie Wines might be options. Maybe Powell pepper.

If we really wanted to be brave Fyfe could be an option. But I doubt freo would release him.

We could look at some of the kids like constable etc.

It's my only knock with the hill trade. Felt it hamstrung us into accepting unders for our players to complete the remaining trade.

Happy with the rest. Good start to a new era

Been a cracking trade period. Thanks for letting me share the ride. Can’t wait for 2020!

There's no place for good manners here Wulf-man, next time just walk in, piss in the sink and wipe your dick on the curtains on your way out.

The problem we are having is the guys we are bringing in are not addressing the core we need to improve. Even hanners is playing more outside on the wing.

Our big ticket trade items over the last 8 years have been:
Hill
Hanners
Steele
Freeman
Carlisle
Longer
Hickey
Lee
Saad
Milera

Of this the only one who's really in the engine is Steele. Hanners more outside but can spend time in there. Hill purely outside.

The rest are wasted. Carlisle now is probably out of our window. Stuv our best driver of the engine is gone. Armitage gone.

We really need an acquisition in there or have someone really do it from the inside. I can't see who will step up though. Ross we know what we will get. Clark too young. Gresham better fwd. Coffield still trying to keep up down back. Bytel too young.

The crouch brothers would be high on our radar for 2020 along with Kelly who might be falling out of contract given the clause. Luke Parker and Ollie Wines might be options. Maybe Powell pepper.

If we really wanted to be brave Fyfe could be an option. But I doubt freo would release him.

We could look at some of the kids like constable etc.

I reckon we go hard at a FA next year. Bytel must be a few years off being a real option as a first choice inside player if he makes it. Dunny is going to have to step up before that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back