List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread - Part V

Remove this Banner Ad

If we are actually moving forward with a Ratts gameplan (something based on skill and decision making, not effort and heart), best 22 does not have Geary, Savage, Ross or Hind as automatic walk up starts ...

Also a fit Carlisle is best 22 every day of the week!!

I love the smell of napalm in the morning .....smells like Victory

St Kilda aims for finals in 2020 after landing five trade targets
A new-look St Kilda has boldly declared its intention to play finals for the first time since 2011 after landing its five trade targets — and a bargain Swan might be the smartest move of all.
Jon Ralph, Herald Sun
Subscriber only
|
October 16, 2019 10:13pm
Close

FOXSPORTS3:13
Brad Hill becomes a Saint
AFL: Dockers star wingman Bradley Hill is officially a Saint after Fremantle and St Kilda agreed to a trade deal.

MORE IN SPORT

Trade guide: Bombshells, bargains and busts

Never-before-seen report: Bombers dysfunctional, Dank an ‘unguided missile’

Questions over evidence that convicted ‘Essendon 34’

similars

St Kilda has firmly set its sights on September action next year, boldly declaring: “We are on the march”.
New coach Brett Ratten will enter next season with footy’s most-hyped side after the Saints finally turned into the destination club they had dreamed of becoming.
St Kilda used a series of masterful trade manoeuvres and the massive cap space they had squirrelled away to land all five player targets who should be in their best 22 in Round 1.
They farewelled inconsistent No.19 pick Blake Acres but nailed a trade for Brad Hill.
Then they secured Richmond’s Dan Butler and Sydney’s Zak Jones to add to Port Adelaide recruits Dougal Howard and Paddy Ryder.
Hill’s manager Colin Young told the Herald Sun his deal was for five seasons, having told Fremantle in June that his client would depart.
Brad Hill has been traded to St Kilda after asking for a return to Victoria.
Brad Hill has been traded to St Kilda after asking for a return to Victoria.
Stream over 50 sports Live & On-Demand with KAYO SPORTS on your TV, computer, mobile or tablet. Just $25/month, no lock-in contract. Get your 14-day free trial and start streaming instantly >
Acres, also a Young client, was in the St Kilda gym at 11.30am on Tuesday when he was told a deal he had been alerted might be possible was suddenly in play.
St Kilda football boss Simon Lethlean said Ratten was thrilled with the club’s haul.

FROM OUR PARTNERS
offnet-icon.svg

Watch El Classico in the Spanish LaLiga on Foxtel Get Foxtel Sport
“We certainly want to improve. We have a new coach, a new list manager that has done a good job and a team with a good appetite to improve and play finals footy so we think we are on the march a bit now to have momentum with membership and a solid fan base that thinks we will have a crack.
“Ratts is a pretty positive guy and he is thrilled we can bring in players of that calibre. We have now a second ruck (in Ryder) who can help (Rowan) Marshall get better and is a senior indigenous player with our five or six indigenous players.
“Hill has got the biggest engine in the comp and we have a roof he can play under 13 or 14 times a year, and we think Butler is going to add the pace, class, premiership passion and the standard we need. Ratts is pumped and so is the playing group.”
MORE AFL TRADE NEWS:
Buckenara: How Saints, Freo get Hill deal done
How new-look Saints could line up in 2020
Trade grades: Every club rated
Can Dons win back Joe Daniher’s heart?
Hill has been pitched as the star-studded recruit but Sydney’s Jones might be the golden nugget that helps drag the Saints into the finals for the first time since 2011.
He adds a brutal edge, having had to change his approach to reduce his suspensions, but also a tough inside game that comes with solid kicking. He has agreed to a three-season deal.
St Kilda handed over pick 10, 58, Acres and a future second and fourth-round pick for Hill, then secured Jones after Josh Bruce was traded to the Dogs for picks 32 and 51, with the Saints then on-trading some of those picks for Jones.
Dan Butler will give St Kilda more pace in attack.
Dan Butler will give St Kilda more pace in attack.
Zak Jones comes with a hard edge. Picture: Michael Klein
Zak Jones comes with a hard edge. Picture: Michael Klein
Fremantle gave back a future third-round pick, with football boss Peter Bell unapologetic about his hard-line trade stance.
“I don’t think you want a reputation as not being hard to deal with during trade week because I think if you’ve got a reputation as being easy to deal with you might be out of a job pretty quick,” he said.
“I will never be embarrassed about really valuing our players. I think that’s what our stakeholders want us to do and I think hopefully in time that’s what this deal will reflect.”
St Kilda fans will be sorry to farewell fan favourite and four-time best-and-fairest winner Jack Steven, having let him go for pick 58.
But the Saints are aware he was unlikely to play his best football at the Saints, happy to let him go to Geelong after a long-running battle with mental health issues.
DONE DEALS
DONE DEALS

FREE AGENCY
Brandon Ellis signs for Gold Coast as a restricted free agent
Brisbane signs Cam Ellis-Yolmen as an unrestricted free agent
Melbourne signs Adam Tomlinson as an unrestricted free agent
Brisbane Lions sign Grant Birchall as an unrestricted free agent
TRADES
1. West Coast receives Tim Kelly, a future third-round selection and pick 52
Geelong receives pick 14, pick 24, a future first-round pick and pick 37
Essendon receives pick 33 and pick 57

2. GWS receives pick 6 and 59
St Kilda receives pick 12 and 18

3. Hawthorn receives Sam Frost, pick 42, pick 61 and a future fourth-round pick
Melbourne receives pick 50 and a future second-round selection

4. Melbourne receives Ed Langdon, pick 26 and a future fourth-round selection
Fremantle receives pick 22, pick 79 and a future second-round pick

5. West Coast receives pick 46 and pick 91
Brisbane Lions receive pick 52 and pick 64
6. Carlton receives Eddie Betts
Adelaide receives a future fourth-round selection

7. Hawthorn receives Jon Patton
GWS receives a future fourth-round pick (tied to Melbourne)

8. Melbourne receives pick 8
North Melbourne receives pick 26, 50 and a future first-round selection

9. GWS receives Sam Jacobs
Adelaide receives a future fourth-round selection (tied to Melbourne)
10. Adelaide receives Billy Frampton
Port Adelaide receives a future fourth-round selection (tied to Melbourne)
11. St Kilda receives Dougal Howard, Paddy Ryder, pick 10 and a future fourth-round selection
Port Adelaide receives picks 12 and 18

12. Gold Coast receives Hugh Greenwood
Adelaide receives a future third-round selection and future fourth-round selection
13. Collingwood receives Darcy Cameron and pick 62
Sydney receives pick 56
14. Sydney receives pick 48
Carlton receives pick 54 and 63
15. Gold Coast receives Zac Smith
Geelong receives pick 58
16. Sydney receives Lewis Taylor
Brisbane Lions receive pick 48
17. St Kilda receives pick 58
Geelong receives Jack Steven

18. Brisbane Lions receive Callum Ah Chee
Gold Coast receives a future second-round selection and future fourth-round selection
19. St Kilda receives Brad Hill and a future third-round pick
Fremantle receives Blake Acres, pick 10, pick 58, a future second-round pick and future fourth-round pick

20. Carlton receives Marc Pittonet and pick 61
Hawthorn receives pick 54 and pick 63
21. Essendon receives Andrew Phillips, pick 61 and pick 72
Carlton receives pick 57 and pick 70
22. Western Bulldogs receive Josh Bruce
St Kilda receives picks 32 and 51
23. Western Bulldogs receive Alex Keath
Adelaide receives pick 45 and a future second-round pick
24. Essendon receives Tom Cutler and pick 64
Brisbane Lions receive pick 72 and a future third-round pick
25. St Kilda receives Zak Jones, pick 56 and a future fourth-round pick
Sydney receives pick 32, pick 76 and a future third-round pick
26. St Kilda receives Dan Butler
Richmond receives pick 56
27. Geelong receives Josh Jenkins and a future third-round pick
Adelaide receives pick 37
28. North Melbourne receives Aiden Bonar and a future fourth-round pick
GWS receives a future third-round pick
29. Fremantle receives James Aish, pick 69 and a future third-round pick
Collingwood receives a future second-round pick and a future fourth-round pic

Gubby Allen has been huge for our footy club, has added much needed stability and experience to our football department. Looking forward to 2020.

On MID-1090IPS using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wouldn’t have got half those deals done if it wasn’t for Gubby.

Inspired appointment with an inexperienced banker at the helm of our list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few things that irked me this trade period.

My disdain for the Geelong football club has increased considerably. I understand clubs need to go after a good deal, but given the mental health issues involved in the Jack trade, I think they handled it poorly from the start. Right from when Chris Scott started making comments on 360.

If the afl did get involved in the Ben King re-signing, it pisses me off to no end. We've hardly been living the high life as a club, yet when we have a chance to get a potential superstar, they come in and take that away. I know they have an agenda with Gold Coast, but surely all the compromised drafts etc are enough. If they've thrown big money at King outside the cap, words fail me. Again, speculation on my part though. Not sure what went down.

As far as the trades go, i wish we could have got Jones done and kept Bruce. Would have liked to see Bruce go round next year with Ratts as coach and the new players on board. Time will tell how that plays out. Still think our team knocked it out of the park overall though.

Im pretty happy with all the trades , i just dont see Bulter as an upgrade on what we already have , apart from his extra pace i cant see any upside in him on Lonie , Long ect , He is an upgrade on Young but then again i would be too :p
That's pretty much my thoughts on those 2, plus we got rid of acres who I think is better than jones

These comments were posted on Blues board and I think it perfectly explains how well our List Management team both prepared for and executed our trade strategy.

"SOS allowed himself and Carlton to get locked into waiting for an Essendon Sydney deal"

"If you have to wait till 30 minutes before a trade period ends to see what eventuates -you are just gambling. This has now occurred 2 years in a row - last year we were waiting for Shiel to make up his mind - interestingly, on both occasions SOS's 'mate' Dodoro had the last say."

"Nothing that "itk" posters have to say about Sydney or Essendon changing 'agreements' means anything - if you allow yourself to be hostage you will treated like a hostage."

Big shout out to Gallagher, Lethlean and the rest of the team.

Once the dust had settled and upon reflection i must admit to being a little more pleased
Than i originally gave off......Rather than reflect on what the club has lost, it is quite tempting to
Tumble into what we have acquired. And whilst there may be some question marks on a couple
Overall it's a pretty neat package considering what we had to play with picks wise!

All 5 individually have some very strong assets they will add to the squad, and i'm tipping all 5
Will more than likely be starting 22. Quite a coup from the recruiting team to pull off 5 targets in the one trade period!

No doubt there will be debate as to the merits of how we line up next season, but one thing is clear now
The club has a vision of how they want us to look going forward, and if nothing else it's most welcome
And refreshing to see the full footy dept working off the same hymn book!

It's pretty obvious they have a united plan and a bold ambitious blueprint for our future and that's something the
St Kilda Footy Club has not always been able to say! A big Tick to the whole off field team...It's the best it has
Looked since i can really remember! Now it's over to Ratts and the lads...Exciting times ahead....Go Saints! :stkilda:

Im pretty happy with all the trades , i just dont see Bulter as an upgrade on what we already have , apart from his extra pace i cant see any upside in him on Lonie , Long ect , He is an upgrade on Young but then again i would be too :p
Well you see he kicks goals. That's the key difference between himand literally all our small forwards.

Hope Bytel comes on next year. I'm not expecting it or anything but how good would it be for the kid to come in and show up all of our mids like a Paddy Cripps. Again, not expecting it. But it'd be nice to develop our own huge bullocking mid instead of having to pay 1 mil+ to get one through FA next year...

You’ve hit the nail on the head here and it sums up my position. Good to have these players nominate us but in all likelihood it’s because we can pay them more than anyone else. Drafting is the only sustainable way to build a list. Overpaying with draft picks might get you a player but it makes it harder to draft good players later on.

It’s because of our ordinary drafting that we have to bring in these players and leave ourselves with no picks this year and one decent pick next year. We really need to draft better otherwise we will continue to go nowhere and I also think we need to keep our picks and make them all count.

I hope we improve next year. Hill gives us a few years of good performances. Howard is still only potential, Jones leaves me a bit cold and Ryder is 32. Butler a slight improvement on what we’ve got but comes from a team with the best midfield and forward line.

These comments were posted on Blues board and I think it perfectly explains how well our List Management team both prepared for and executed our trade strategy.
The club has a vision of how they want us to look going forward, and if nothing else it's most welcome
And refreshing to see the full footy dept working off the same hymn book!

What exactly was the strategy/vision other than to turn players over.

1. Ryder or a backup ruckman was obvious.

2.Howard was pretty much opportunistic, we didn't really need him but sure he will hopefully be really good for the long term, and free battle up.

3. No one can doubt hill is a really good player, but we still have Ross and Dunstan playing inside.

I am not negative on the trades but I am not sure their was a detailed plan/strategy/vision.
Well you see he kicks goals. That's the key difference between himand literally all our small forwards.

He kicked goals with the Richmond midfield, didn't play much in the 1s for 2019 and not much interest from other sides in the trade period. Hopefully he plays well.

You’ve hit the nail on the head here and it sums up my position. Good to have these players nominate us but in all likelihood it’s because we can pay them more than anyone else. Drafting is the only sustainable way to build a list. Overpaying with draft picks might get you a player but it makes it harder to draft good players later on.

It’s because of our ordinary drafting that we have to bring in these players and leave ourselves with no picks this year and one decent pick next year. We really need to draft better otherwise we will continue to go nowhere and I also think we need to keep our picks and make them all count.

I hope we improve next year. Hill gives us a few years of good performances. Howard is still only potential, Jones leaves me a bit cold and Ryder is 32. Butler a slight improvement on what we’ve got but comes from a team with the best midfield and forward line.
I think that Jones will have the biggest impact of all the newbies. Will be interesting to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well i also see he had a ripping first year and has gone backwards ever since , Maybe has been found out with very few tricks im guessing

B Webster, Howard coff
Hb Roberton Carlisle long
C billings hunter hill
Hf gresham battle Membry
F buttler king uncle paddy
Fol Marshall steel hanners
Int gears Jones Parker
Wilkie
Mabey a little tall in some areas but I do think paddy and Marshall will have rotations on the bench

On G3226 using BigFooty.com mobile app

This time last year.
"Kent is a big upgrade on Long, Lonie ,Sinclair and adds much needed foot speed and defensive pressure."

6 months later.
Meh...Kent.

*The club feels Howard will be an elite KPD.
*Butler is a big upgrade on Long, Parker, Kent, Young and adds much needed foot speed and defensive pressure.
*Jones is as hard as a cats head and adds pace to a pedestrian midfield.
*Steele, Dunstan, Bytel, Gresham, Clark should be more than capable of covering as inside mids.
*Hill is one of the best wingmen in the league and adds much needed pace.

But you’re right, pretty ordinary trade period.
I agree except Young. He can't get anywhere near the footy.

According to article posted here and footywire... Marsh has a contract until 2020 so he has to fill a spot. And Joyce was re-signed until 2021 so we have to upgrade, as his Cat B 3 years are up.

Unless someone received an early payout; Joyce (2021), Phillips (2020), Marsh (2020), McKenzie (2022), Young (2020), I don’t think it’s good reading for the uncontracted few.

I think a lot lies in what McCartin and Robbo are doing. Potential one retires or we can delist and re-rookie one. Risks in that though.

Good post. You have highlighted the list cloggers that I would move on tomorrow without hesitation. Unfortunately no other club was interested in any of them. The Joyce and McKenzie decisions are ludicrous.

I assume we delist and redraft someone. I would delist all those out of contract and redraft the one we want to keep. Other clubs never jump in and draft them.

2.Howard was pretty much opportunistic, we didn't really need him but sure he will hopefully be really good for the long term, and free battle up.

3. No one can doubt hill is a really good player, but we still have Ross and Dunstan playing inside.

I am not negative on the trades but I am not sure their was a detailed plan/strategy/vision.

He kicked goals with the Richmond midfield, didn't play much in the 1s for 2019 and not much interest from other sides in the trade period. Hopefully he plays well.
God i hope he didnt play in the midfield , AV 11 possessions a game is not the numbers you want your mids getting

This time last year.
"Kent is a big upgrade on Long, Lonie ,Sinclair and adds much needed foot speed and defensive pressure."

6 months later.
Meh...Kent.
In reality we still need a decent small or two unless Gresh is going to play a bit closer to goal , Non of our so called smalls are much chop ATM , Hopefully one or two of them come on over pre season

Good post. You have highlighted the list cloggers that I would move on tomorrow without hesitation. Unfortunately no other club was interested in any of them. The Joyce and McKenzie decisions are ludicrous.

I assume we delist and redraft someone. I would delist all those out of contract and redraft the one we want to keep. Other clubs never jump in and draft them.

Im going to be a tad Risky here , i think Joyce showed a bit playing up forward for Sandy and is surprisingly a good kick for goal , he may surprise a few next season if they persist with him up forward , it just means that Battle goes back to take Jakes role , of course we wouldnt be playing ryder either .
Forwards of Joyce , King and Members plus some smalls ?

Understand it looks that way and tbh it's how i felt it was tracking but if you look
At them individually they all address a specific need. Suppose it's up to those players as to how big an effect
They will have. Hill...Jones....Butler give us much needed speed and at least 2 out of the three have high hurt factor
With the pill, and actually Jones looked a whole lot better than i remembered going off his highlights! lol
As everyone does i know, but still he is one of us now, so i'll give him a chance.

Ryder i'm tipping will be a much bigger asset than many think and he also is clean with the footy and there is no question
In my mind that Doogie Howard has what it takes to be a strong mainstay of our defence!

So Speed....Transition.....Ball use and some Leadership all look to represent a specific vision and plan!

I'm picking bones a bit here but I am a bit surprised Sinclair wasn't put on the trade table...I don't think he'd get us too much, but he does have some assets. Another 3rd rounder that maybe could've been packaged up. I suppose he's meant to be a mid, and we don't have an abundance of them (and we just got rid of one with higher potential...but more frustration) but it seems odd that he wasn't told to look around. I can't imagine there being many opportunities for him going forward.

According to tbarker Ratts rates Sincas very highly. Hopefully he's one of many fringe players who thrive under the new coach and become consistent very good players.

Sincas is an obvious one to look out for IMO. He does some things to an elite standard but just does them inconsistently. If he can step up then our midfield doesn't look in that bad a shape (albeit we still need 2-3 elite players in there).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back