List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread - Part V

Remove this Banner Ad

So after the disaster Carlton had recruiting the Giants dud players due to Silvangi's terrible recruiting decisions , a trade period where he failed to get any of the names they wanted , the question is will he get the sack ?

He is on shaky ground, check out his interview here:

He seems under a lot of pressure and things looking ominous for him.

EDIT: They probably pick up Martin in the pre season draft, unless Gold Coast or Melbourne step in first.

Would be a ballsy move for Gold Coast to do that, let’s see how much they really want to mix it up 😁.

The trade demands he made were so over the top it was never going to get done.

I thought it was a fair enough position from Essendon, bloody Harley lying about Sydney’s interest etc, dodo just gave them the if your stupid enough price and stuck to it.
Harley was so damn smug I don't blame Dildoro giving him the Bird

Gotta say I'm a little nervous about the Bruce move. It feels a little premature.
We struggle to kick a big enough score as it is so I guess we are betting we can cover or better his 40 goals via a combination of Ryder, Marshall, Battle & Max.
Nervous about Bruce dropping chest marks? Max King is the second coming of Jesus, first if you are Jewish. Get ready for the Ming Dynasty.

Overall pleased with our trade haul. Landed all 5 targets while keeping our future 1st intact. Unheard of 5 players nominating one club in a single trade period. Comes with the territory of being a destination club ;)

Paid overs for Hill but don't think it will set us back. He will be in our top 5 players and will take some heat off Billings to allow him more time and space to make full use of his kicking. We have also lacked speed, spread and quality ball use in our midfield for a number of years. Lot of options for our midfield setup.

Howard has the scope to be a top quality defender. He has deceptive speed for a 2m defender. Ryder is quality depth who should help elevate Marshall's game and pass on some tricks of the trade.

Butler is a great pick up on the cheap and will be a significant upgrade on most of our existing small forwards. He was really impressive in the premiership year and has a balance of tackling pressure and scoreboard impact. Going at over a goal a game.

Hoping that Jones can move into an inside mid role. His burst of speed and line breaking will be a point of difference to our one paced midfield. If not, we have a line breaking HBF.

Stuv, Bruce and Acres fan favourites and a shame to see them depart but for various reasons looked to be inevitable. IMO each went for unders but circumstances dictated the eventual trade outcome and value. Expect a bit of short term hit, especially with Stuv and Bruce but think our additions will make for a bit of unpredictability with our midfield and forward setups.

Trade period rating B+ overall

Been a strong advocate of Zak Jones and for those that are having doubts about him please watch these highlights!!

What a team we have next year if everything clicks for us and we have an injury free year. Also I hope like hell that we play Josh Battle in his favourite position at CHF because this kid is not only a very good defender but a 50+ goal future forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct me if I’m wrong but the following players remain uncontracted:

Newnes, Brown, Rice, White

We must delist at least three of the above to use three picks in the draft.

P51 - live pick
P76 - live pick
P82 - Wilkie

Given Joyce has spent one year as a Cat. B Rookie and two years as a General Rookie, i am assuming he must join the primary list.

So after the disaster Carlton had recruiting the Giants dud players due to Silvangi's terrible recruiting decisions , a trade period where he failed to get any of the names they wanted , the question is will he get the sack ?
Rumour is he spent 456 straight hours ringing GWS. Without the GWS Bat line he doesn’t have much. 😁

P51 - live pick
P76 - live pick
P82 - Wilkie
We dont have 76. We have a 5th Rounder that starts at 100 but will inevitably end up less with all the Passing.

We also have upgraded Joyce. So really we have to delist 3 of the 4 so that we can take 2 picks to the draft (Biggy + other)
No point in elevating Wilkie unless we want to delist 3 or more of them. You can elevate rookies at any time these days.

Brown, Rice and White to me. Although would be open to redrafting White to make up the numbers if not much on offer at 82.

Given Joyce has spent one year as a Cat. B Rookie and two years as a General Rookie, i am assuming he must join the primary list.
Joyce did 3yrs as rookie
Connelan was the Cat.B rookie. Apparently you can only have 1 Irish rookie as Cat.B

That's why I'm ambivalent about the whole thing. Ratts has his list and he has to make something of it now. He won't have the injuries hopefully.

Basically we had so many moving pieces that we had to pay high and not sit around arguing value. It also meant we sold everything we had off way undervalued as well. The list doesn't look that much better right now but hopefully in 2 to 4 years when we are playing finals we have the parts in place.

Brown is at the end he's retired and while most people had no idea who Howard was a week ago he looks pretty good.
Bruce is our biggest unknown for replacement, has to come from Battle or King.
Stuv was gone had to replace him- Hill is pretty much a more outside like for like.
Jones in for Acres is probably only slightly ahead but maybe more usable in the now.
Paddy is at worst 2 years of backup.
Butler will take a spot from Kent, Long, Parker or Lonie.

Overall I don't think we see a huge jump and maybe even a drop away next year hopefully there are some Money-ball pick ups that are targeted for where they might end up.

I'm a bit flat about losing my favourite players but I got over plenty of others eventually. Just hope it's the start of onfield success.
I'm wrapped we have brought in good players to strengthen our side.

just look who we have brought in

Hill - best and fairest winner for Fremantle and was 3rd again this year and is a elite wingman
Ryder - the will be better than Longer and Pierce
Howard - the guy captained the Port team , massive upgrade on Brown - the guy can kick and will take a mark in the backline and not just spoil.
Jones - if anyone has watched this guy you will see he attacks the ball and gets a lot of it and breaks lines with his speed
Butler - fast , can tackle , can kick over 40m - is likely to be ahead of all the other small forwards we have
What have we lost - Steven wanted out , Bruce's days where numbered with Battle and King moving forward and Acres had every chance to prove himself but never delivered consistently - so why are people complaining.

We now have professionals running the club and thank god they are making changes - because something needed to change.

I might just go and crack a bottle of red and celebrate.
go Saints

P51 - live pick
P76 - live pick
P82 - Wilkie

I thought Brown had a year to go?
Rice and White will probably go. Neither could fit in at the tail end of this year, doubt they have a hope with Geary, Webster, and reportedly Robbo back in the mix.

Newnes is the interesting one, had an offer from us, tested the market and got no interest. Not sure what he does now, he definitely hasn't done his chances much good, Hill and Jones Nominated us, Newnes tried to get away but couldn't. Not sure how many games he should get with us next season if he signs on and stays.

Joyce did 3yrs as rookie
Connelan was the Cat.B rookie. Apparently you can only have 1 Irish rookie as Cat.B

It is a moot point but the article you linked actually quotes the fact he started as a Cat. B Rookie. Either way, he has done three years and he presumably has to be elevated as one of our three selections.

Gotta say I'm a little nervous about the Bruce move. It feels a little premature.
We struggle to kick a big enough score as it is so I guess we are betting we can cover or better his 40 goals via a combination of Ryder, Marshall, Battle & Max.
Arguably greater flexibility to have Gresh and Billings spending a touch more time there, Butler, better wings bringing it in. Greater spread hopefully which most of the good clubs have. *hopefully*

QCYmiNb.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back