List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread - Part V

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon we go hard at a FA next year. Bytel must be a few years off being a real option as a first choice inside player if he makes it. Dunny is going to have to step up before that.
Bytel could be another clavarino. Someone incredibly hyped before he even plays a game. May not even get there.

I agree with ya on the FA and dunstan.

Has serious wheels.

It's nice that he can kick a goal as well. Hope we give him significant midfield time next year.

Do a compare of Zak Jones and Blake acres with the AFL live app.

Their stats are both very close, almost identical, with both averaging exactly 17.7 disposals for their careers!

The only difference is Zak has a little bit more run, with slightly higher uncontested marks and kicks' whereas Blake had more contested marks and kicks. It is quite uncanny how similar their stats are.

Zak was pick #15 in 2013, acres #19.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

So my opinion is I'd rate our trade period as such:

PLAYER NOMINATIONS: A+. For what was available and the onfield results I think we did a tremendous job in getting the names we did to nominate us

PLAYER RETENTION: B+. Held onto what we wanted. It sucks we couldn't have stuv retire a one club player. In hindsight we should have traded him last year. Would have been nice to find homes for Newnes and McKenzie. Longer was a disaster.

TRADES: C-. We did well getting the deals across the line for the contracted players but I felt we gave away what we had too cheaply. The only exception to this was the dougal and Ryder trade, which was excellent value. The rest we had to give up more to bring talent in. But when the shoe was on the other foot we let club's dictate to us what the price was for our players. The bruce and acres trades are a good example of this. Especially the bruce trade.

OVERALL LIST IMPROVEMENT: B-. I think the Ins are a big improvement. However we still haven't addressed the engine of the side. The midfield. Hill will help but he's not someone to improve the core of your side. Hes not going to drive real improvement the way a genuine inside mid will. He also doesn't have the length of tenure of someone like Clark, we really have 3-4 years max of footy here. So we will need to see improvement from within. Jones and Dougal are money ball types with high potential. Ryder is short term depth. Butler is depth with the potential to cement a spot. We've bolstered the defence with Howard which given the age of carlisle is a smart move. We've added pace and disposal to the side. Losing bruce hurts. Acres and stuv not so much. We miss a year in the draft. So really we are looking for immediate return on investment in the next 3 years at the expense of the long term. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing given how hard we've hit the draft in the past and our time out of finals. Here's to hoping we get even more aggressive with the engine of our midfield next year.

Please do a comparison of acres and Zak Jones with the AFLlive app they are almost identical in stars this might get you to revisit some statements...

For me hill replaces Steven, same value
Zak Jones replaces acres, same value
Ryder replaces Bruce, different skills
Butler adds depth for long, lonie and Kent but on par, not really required
Douglas Howard— adds to the defence

So we basically have a better ruck at the sacrifice of Bruce goals and contested marks. But is Ryder cooked like Mummy was this year? Would have keeping hickey been just as good.

We should have a slightly stronger defence.

Midfield should be the same, slightly extra run with Zak from acres but slightly less contested marks and ball but their stats are almost identical.

Our only area of improvement will be hanners with more games and if battle/McCartin/king can fill up the Bruce void.

I agree that we need a quality forward like Ben brown/josh Kennedy over Bruce, that would have made a difference this year and Bruce as your #1 forward won’t get you in finals, he is quiet with the important games, dogs are hoping to use him with naughton but we will see.

It’s good that we have had got the trades we want, and all the publicity, with players wanting to come over, but unless battle or king step up, we are slightly down from this year.

It is bad luck about Steven but he is just as good a player, maybe slightly better than hill, but is a couple of years older. He will be fit next year and be in the cats best 5 players.

Hopefully in 2021, king or battle will surpass Bruce and our other youngsters such as coffield, Clark keep improving, but I won’t be surprised if we finish 10-14th next year.

Disposal from newnes, Dunstan, Ross will still be there and Zak Jones is a bit of a turn over merchant too.

I can’t see our disposal improving, and we will only have members to kick too until king and battle learn the craft.

Last edited:
Just on the Acres/Jones comparisons, I think in our team structure players will be able to fill in for what Acres could do, but Jones is a new element that we didn't have before. I feel like his impact to our team will be greater than what Acres provided.

Please do a comparison of acres and Zak Jones with the AFLlive app they are almost identical in stars this might get you to revisit some statements...

For me hill replaces Steven,
Zak Jones replaces acres
Ryder replaces Bruce
Butler adds depth for long, lonie and Kent but on par, not really required
Douglas Howard— adds to the defence

So we basically have a better ruck at the sacrifice of Bruce goals and contested marks.

We should have a slightly stronger defence.

Midfield should be the same, slightly extra run with Zak from acres but slightly less contested marks and ball but their stats are almost identical.

Our only area of improvement will be hanners with more games and if battle/McCartin/king can fill up the Bruce void.

I agree we need a quality forward like Ben brown/josh Kennedy over Bruce, that would have made a difference this year and Bruce as your 1 forward won’t get you in finals,dogs are hoping to use him with naughton.

It’s good that we have had got the trades we want, and all the publicity, but unless battle or king step up, we are slightly down from this year.

Hopefully in 201, king or battle will surpass Bruce.

I tried to point that out about Jones and acres earlier today. Acres was contracted yet we gave him away for less than what the uncontracted Jones was traded in for.

Impact of both on their sides has been minimal.

I hope Jones can go up another level and really reach the potential he was drafted on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He owns a car????

He was absolutely stoked when he got 10% off the sticker price on a Brand New 2017 BMW M3. Said it was absolutely worth being a tough negotiator and drawing things out after he drove it off the lot last week.

6pr quizzed acres on what position he was suited to and if freo had told him where he will play.

He said freo want him on the wing but he tried the sneakily ask for inside mid time.

He said saints playing him everywhere affected his performances.

So I reckon he wants to play inside mid but is happy to play the wing for a spot.

Just on the Acres/Jones comparisons, I think in our team structure players will be able to fill in for what Acres could do, but Jones is a new element that we didn't have before. I feel like his impact to our team will be greater than what Acres provided.

Well he won’t be put in the ruck. For me personally, acres is a better player, but stats wise they are neck and neck, as far as their overall careers have gone.

Just feel acres can penetrate with 60 metre kicks and can take a contested mark and get a contested ball better, with more skill then Jones. Acres played out of position, got injuries from being in the ruck too..acres treated like lynch too

Jones does have slightly more run, speed but can be messy like Nathan Wright.
We really need a quality inside mid like a josh Kennedy etc, gets the ball 30 times with clean disposal.

Last edited:
Well he won’t be put in the ruck. For me personally, acres is a better player, but stats wise they are neck and neck, as far as their overall careers have gone.

Just feel acres can penetrate with 60 metre kicks and can take a contested mark and get a contested ball better, with more skill then Jones. Acres played out of position, got injuries from being in the ruck too..acres treated like lynch too

Jones does have slightly more run, speed but can be messy like Nathan Wright.

Yep I feel like acres was mainly utilized for his height. Now we have other ruck and wing options, I think Jones with his line breaking pace will be a bigger point of difference for us.

Was tongue in cheek. Settle down champ

Wasn't even that bad of a trade, you got Jones and Butler out of it

Enjoy :thumbsu:

We still have Pick 51 to use. But it's ok, we understand that you may have trouble following.

That pick will probably be use on Biggy. Quicker than Bruce and can actually ruck when relieving the No 1 Ruck. ;)

Hope Bytel comes on next year. I'm not expecting it or anything but how good would it be for the kid to come in and show up all of our mids like a Paddy Cripps. Again, not expecting it. But it'd be nice to develop our own huge bullocking mid instead of having to pay 1 mil+ to get one through FA next year...

Yep I feel like acres was mainly utilized for his height. Now we have other ruck and wing options, I think Jones with his line breaking pace will be a bigger point of difference for us.

Good point.

With only one forward in members, now having butler with pace in the fwd line too, we might use 2017 Richmond method of goal scoring, from dirty ground ball entries, much better than bombing it in too Bruce, can see upside there.

That is probably the most frustrating part of saints gameplan, bombing too Bruce and lonie!!

Hill is on the same level as Steven, but younger and healthier.

Howard is an upgrade on Brown

Jones is on the same level as Acres

Ryder is a downgrade on Bruce as a forward, and an upgrade as a ruck (but older)

Butler is on about the same level as Lonie/Long/Parker/Kent

I'm not as excited about this trade period as others. We still have a whole lot of deadwood on the list like Newnes, McKenzie, Young etc. We have far too many half backs, not enough mids and no experienced, decent key forwards.

From current list:

Best 22

B: Wilkie, Howard, Geary
HB: Roberton, Carlisle, Clark
C: Hill, Steele, Ross
HF: Billings, Marshall, Hind
F: Membrey, Battle, Butler

Foll: Ryder, Gresham, Hannebery
Int: Jones, Dunstan, Savage, Sinclair

Reserves

B: Marsh, Brown McKenzie
HB: Coffield, Austin, Webster
C: Newnes, Bytel, Paton
HF: Kent, Mayo, Lonie
F: Parker, King, Long

Foll: Alabakis, Langlands, Phillips
Int: Clavarino, Joyce, White, Rice

Emg: Young, McCartin

How can our list of defensive depth be so incredibly long and have so many mediocre small forwards while we have absolutely no viable backup mids or rucks in reserve? I'm sure we'll pick up a mature ruck in the draft and we'll be able to take another player when McCartin is placed on the LTIL, but this is still a massively unbalanced list. Our best 22 if fit and firing could push for the lower half of the 8, but a couple of injuries to our mids, rucks or tall forwards will send us to the bottom of the pack.

I reckon we go hard at a FA next year. Bytel must be a few years off being a real option as a first choice inside player if he makes it. Dunny is going to have to step up before that.
The inside mid is the position we need to fill - Dunstan does a job but just doesn't distribute the ball out well - what I'm hoping is Gresham can become that player or Hunter Clark and it wouldn't surprise me Ratten gives Bytel a run early and don't forget about Jones he could really show a few who have knocked him.

In all with a fit Hannerbery , Hill , Billings , Ross all being ball winners our guys will see more of the leather.
Hopefully Marshall will not carry as much a burden as he did this year if Hannebery can stay on the park , Gresham , Steele , Hunter Clark can make a difference.

In all with a stronger defense and a 3 pronged forward line with better delivery we should have a good year.
I just want the young guys given responsibility and watch them take the next step.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back