List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread - Part V

Remove this Banner Ad

Forget kicks and handballs. Hill gets far less kicks and handballs than Billings for example.....but he averages about 120 more metres gained PER GAME than Billings. With Hill this is what you are paying for - 14th last year in the AFL for metres gained (Billings was 41st for example) but by far the most metres gained per possession. He gets the ball moving....fast.
All true about the metres gained but he doesn’t really get far less of the ball than Billings. Both averaged around 25 disposals this year.

Great interview!

What's got me worried is Lethlean saying we are starting to get tight in our salary cap??

I mean Jesus are you serious??

How much are be fricken paying average footballers in our side??

Really worrying signs considering who will be off the books.
My thoughts also...
We must’ve paid through the nose for some of these guys..

Thanks for posting that mate.

I reckon I was at war with a few here last night that didn't understand why we did what we did. We have to have a bit more faith in the current regime. Everything is done for a reason, all trades are linked in some way and Lethers explained it all beautifully.

Afternoon everyone!

Been a while between posts but I felt after yesterday’s incredible haul I should pop back in to join in on all the excitement!

Unbelievable effort by our recruitment team, hats off to Lethers, Gallagher and Gubby! Amazing job

Genuinely feel this is the most well rounded saints side I have seen since 2009, we targeted exactly what we needed and got it which is rare these days.

What Hill can do for the likes of Billings and our inside mids Steele/Dunstan even Seb is huge, Jones chopping them out either off the wing, in the middle or even off half back at times!

My Richmond mates are stoked we got Butler, rave about him and he’d start at nearly every other team in the comp but with Richmond’s class in that department he fell to us which I couldn’t be happier about!

On the subject of Richmond, Dylan Grimes goes alright, Dougal Howard plays in a similar mould and although a growing process is still needed I think that’s the type of player he can genuinely become down back for us!

Finally you’d be hard pressed to find a bloke as pumped as Paddy to get down and play with us, loves Rowy and his game, gets to play with his cousin and best mate in Hilly and Jakey Carlisle.

So pumped for next season, great to have the excitement back that we could be a genuinely decent side.

Go Saints!

And doesn’t that tell the tale.
Brucey was probably the only person with real currency who we were prepared to trade. No one else really attracted much interest ( and I’m including Stuv in this sadly.)
How can you have currency and be given away for late picks?

I hope we have made the right choices, sold low bought high again, lost some gained some....sadly lost most of my favourites. I hope the new guys can fill the hole. I'm a bit sad to see the old guys go so haven't got the excitement I would have if we had lost them.

giphy (49).gif

😎

I think when you get 5 players nominate you, and you get all of them done, that is a huge tick. It's exactly like Lethlean said, the important thing was to get the deals done. You're not going to "win" every trade, it just doesn't work that way. But by showing we get the players that nominate us, it's a huge feather in our cap going forward. And at the end of the day, draft picks are just draft picks, especially later ones. Sure we threw in a few for the Hill trade, but a lot of them were nothing picks. But we now have an A grader in.

Just great work by the team. Feel like we are in really good hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How can you have currency and be given away for late picks?

Well you can ask the club that question?

Actually Lethlean did say we would like to have got more for him in his interview - but he also said to look at the sum of the parts - we needed to get Jones and Butler for him, and we did.

*( Gallagher saying exactly the same right now on SEN - when you have so many targets and you don’t want to give up the future first you maximise what you can in the best way you can.)

My point stands, there was nobody else on our list ( who we were prepared to trade obviously) that anyone was really interested in.

Last edited:
I call bullshit.
Is there any evidence that Howard and Butler were targeted prior to the draft.

Most of our targets ( not Hill ) reek of... "ohhh look XXXX might be gettable, shall we talk to him "
Like Kent last year.
Really that's hindsight at best.

Yep - no strategy - no forethought - no planning - they were deadset lucky they managed to organise the GWS deal in the five minutes after the Freo meeting ended. Could have ended up a disaster.

Its called contingency planning.

Well you can ask the club that question?

Actually Lethlean did say we would like to have got more for him in his interview - but he also said to look at the sum of the parts - we needed to get Jones and Butler for him, and we did.

My point stands, there was nobody else on our list that anyone was really interested in.

Billings, Marshall, Clark, Gresham, Coffield, Membrey, Ross, Battle and King are just about our only players with good value. Maybe Wilkie too. We could probably demand first round picks for them. In fact I’d be interested to see what they’d each be worth.

Billings, Marshall, Clark, Gresham, Coffield, Membrey, Ross, Battle and King are just about our only players with good value. Maybe Wilkie too. We could probably demand first round picks for them. In fact I’d be interested to see what they’d each be worth.

Of course, the initial post I was answering was that there are not so many players with currency on our list who we were willing to part with.
Goes as to the state of our list.

Of course, the initial post I was answering was that there are not so many players with currency on our list who we were willing to part with.
Goes as to the state of our list.

All good, just got me thinking. If we parted with any of them I’d be dirty. No way in hell does it happen.

The Roar gave us a B rating because being edgy is the cool thing to do

I think it's about right. We won on the volume but for what we traded out compared to traded in it was more break even. The players we got cost high wages and probably above or around their value in picks. The players we traded out were way under value.

To me Dogs easily won the trade period. Got 2 premium KPs for very little cost in trades and have pick 13 for another gun.

Yeah, they said off hand on trade radio that it was confirmed that Paddy will attempt a comeback next year.
I just don't get this. His troubles are well documented. Even if he gets an unequivocal Green Light from the doctors;
the coach has got to select him. Won't something in the back of their minds be saying "If he gets the knock that turns out the lights for good, I'll be the coach that put him in harm's way"
Any player that plays on will be thinking "I don't want to be responsible for turning this guy into a vegetable"
Even his teammates might be thinking "I don't want to give him any hospital passes that are really hospital passes"

I get that they have to ignore that doubt for every player to even get on with what is a really brutal sport, but with Paddy surely you think twice. I just don't see how he ever gets into a football team again. How could we even as fans enjoy his game, knowing that at any moment he might severely * up his future?

Or maybe everyone is just at the stage where they can just say "* it." I think his life is too precious and we are not that desperate.

Thanks for posting that mate.

I reckon I was at war with a few here last night that didn't understand why we did what we did. We have to have a bit more faith in the current regime. Everything is done for a reason, all trades are linked in some way and Lethers explained it all beautifully.

Yeah mate

Huge positive is players arrived at the club , engaged with our admin and then nominated the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back