News 2019 Fixture (Round 23 announced)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The opening to the season isn't that tough at all. We play 3 of the first 6 at home where we're rarely (If ever) beaten. Another at AO against a Crows outfit that isn't that good and 2 games at the MCG. I expect us to win 4 of those at least. And we should win 5.
Agree-happy with this draw. Will beat all those good teams at home and at least 1 of the early games at the g and set ourselves up for the season.

Agree-happy with this draw. Will beat all those good teams at home and at least 1 of the early games at the g and set ourselves up for the season.
I reckon we're sitting 5-2 after round 7 with a loss to Essendon who always trouble us with their pace.

They haven't beaten us at KP - the closest they have got is 10 points in 2016, while in our other 3 wins at KP we have an average win margin of 56 points but apparently they are a sure thing next year? I know theres a way to go before the match, but I can't see GWS turning around a 61 point loss from earlier this year

Some people are being way to negative about our prospects & overrating GWS by way too much - for all of GWS's improvements over recent seasons, they still struggle on the road, especially against teams that are strong on their home turf.

Fair call. I would expect gws to drop off considering the calibre of players they have lost.

Cracking start to the year. Tough, but should be enjoyable... Hopefully lots of good games.

If we can be 4-3 after 7 we are on par.. anything extra is a bonus.

As brutal as the first 7 weeks look we should be a good chance in most of those games.

Rd 1 - Collingwood will be coming off a short preseason and former grand finalists normally struggle for the first couple of weeks.
Rd 2 - Melbourne are good but if we're a good team we'll be favourites in Geelong.
Rd 3 - Adelaide away off a 5 day break is brutal. Almost writing this off already.
Rd 4 - GWS in Geelong is a game we should win. No Shiel, Lobb or Scully either.
Rd 5 - Hawthorn at the G. Tough but very winnable.
Rd 6 - WCE in Geelong. Our standard let down after the easter monday game but at least it's in Geelong which means we're a real chance.
Rd 7 - Ess at the G. Tough game no doubt.

Strangely I think the 2 hardest games are against the 2 teams who missed the 8 last year. If we can be 5-2 we're set up for the rest of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about those first 6-7 weeks and the fact we only play ALL this years bottom teams once.

Boy oh boy........we got bent over and the AFL went in dry!
It’s an interesting one. It’s aimed at derailing our season early. The cats do however generally start the season off hot (with a full squad) and the lulls and missed opportunities happen around midway.

easiest draw ever, looks like we might be losing another final again next year

12-13 wins with that draw

hard teams at home early in the year (coming off limited preseason)

our double ups are against weak finals teams in Hawthorn and Sydney

Also, what the hell has North ever done to deserve 4 Friday night games, lol? We have 3 for the year, they have 4. We've made finals every year, bar 1, in the last decade. They've made finals twice or something and not won a flag for 19 years. There's seriously always something weird going on with North, as they always end up with the highest free kick count and they always get the easiest fixtures. Baffles me.

Do we want Friday night games when they'll invariably be in the wrong city for a big chunk of fans? When I still lived in Victoria I was never a fan of getting into Melbourne on a Friday night. And I know Melbourne fans don't want to head to Geelong, either. Not to mention regional/western districts fans for who it becomes even harder yet again.

Give me weekend games ahead of Friday nights, imo.

It's a pretty reasonable draw and I don't mind our start to the year as much as some do.

But it irks me that we can get 9 home games and still be expected to call it a win. 11 home games is what we want, it should be what we get. Other teams and their supporters shouldn't get to skew any kind of organised, professional competition. Yet here we are...

As brutal as the first 7 weeks look we should be a good chance in most of those games.

Rd 1 - Collingwood will be coming off a short preseason and former grand finalists normally struggle for the first couple of weeks.
Rd 2 - Melbourne are good but if we're a good team we'll be favourites in Geelong.
Rd 3 - Adelaide away off a 5 day break is brutal. Almost writing this off already.
Rd 4 - GWS in Geelong is a game we should win. No Shiel, Lobb or Scully either.
Rd 5 - Hawthorn at the G. Tough but very winnable.
Rd 6 - WCE in Geelong. Our standard let down after the easter monday game but at least it's in Geelong which means we're a real chance.
Rd 7 - Ess at the G. Tough game no doubt.

Strangely I think the 2 hardest games are against the 2 teams who missed the 8 last year. If we can be 5-2 we're set up for the rest of the year.

Round 6 will be the game Tim Kelly has an AFL record number of turnovers in front of West Coasts goal and will probably run into the wrong change rooms considering how much he loves them and wants to be on that team...no doubt they will lock him out as usual ;)

9 KP games.

Best thing about it. Keeps the $$ going into the club coffers.

Mind you - it should not ever be an issue but this is the AFL.

5 day break for an interstate game lol.

Oh AFL., dont ever change lol. Keeping the FIX in Fixture since 96.

GO Catters

It's a pretty reasonable draw and I don't mind our start to the year as much as some do.

But it irks me that we can get 9 home games and still be expected to call it a win. 11 home games is what we want, it should be what we get. Other teams and their supporters shouldn't get to skew any kind of organised, professional competition. Yet here we are...
Pies and Richmond still play a couple of home games at Marvel. I know it'd be nice to play 11 at Home home, but 9 at home is much better than 7, and 2 at the G is better than any at Marvel. Gotta take the small wins. Whilst so many Vic clubs are selling home games (5 in 2019), we won't get all 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back