Preview 2019 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

It's funny you say that, as soon as i noticed all our night games i thought the same thing.

I've always had the 'hunch' that we perform better during day games at home. I'm not sure if that comes down to the heat, but the atmosphere just seems to always be more intimidating and we do some of our best flat tracking work during the day. It's a scarier environment for traveling teams. The WA furnace and "feral" crowd is amplified.

Night games, ^ the above seems to be a bit diminished IMO. Our ground isn't as "scary" and the temperature doesn't work in our favour so much.

Can any geniuses look up our winning percentage for night and day games over the last 5 or so years at home?

In 2018
Lost to Sydney - Night game :crossmark:
Beat Geelong - Day Game :heavycheck:
Beat GCS - Night game (s**t atmosphere) :heavycheck:
Beat Fremantle - Day game :heavycheck:
Beat Port - Day Game :heavycheck:
Beat Richmond - Day game :heavycheck:
Beat St Kilda - Night game (s**t atmosphere, almost lost) :heavycheck:
Lost to the bombers - Night game (disaster) :crossmark:
Beat GWS - Day game :heavycheck:
Beat Bulldogs - Day game :heavycheck:
Lost to demons - Day game :crossmark:
Beat Collingwood - Night game (scraped home) :heavycheck:
Beat Melbourne - Day game, flogged them :heavycheck:

So...
Night games = 5, winning percentage 60% (Only convincing win was vs the suns)
Day games = 9, winning percentage 88% (only game we lost was a tight one against the demons)

The two s**t atmospheres were def to do with the quality of the teams we were facing and the ease of the win (even with saints last quarter comeback they were never winning).

It's funny you say that, as soon as i noticed all our night games i thought the same thing.

I've always had the 'hunch' that we perform better during day games at home. I'm not sure if that comes down to the heat, but the atmosphere just seems to always be more intimidating and we do some of our best flat tracking work during the day. It's a scarier environment for traveling teams. The WA furnace and "feral" crowd is amplified.

Night games, ^ the above seems to be a bit diminished IMO. Our ground isn't as "scary" and the temperature doesn't work in our favour so much.

Can any geniuses look up our winning percentage for night and day games over the last 5 or so years at home?

In 2018
Lost to Sydney - Night game :crossmark:
Beat Geelong - Day Game :heavycheck:
Beat GCS - Night game (s**t atmosphere) :heavycheck:
Beat Port - Day Game :heavycheck:
Beat Richmond - Day game :heavycheck:
Beat St Kilda - Night game (s**t atmosphere, almost lost) :heavycheck:
Lost to the bombers - Night game (disaster) :crossmark:
Beat GWS - Day game :heavycheck:
Beat Bulldogs - Day game :heavycheck:
Lost to demons - Day game :crossmark:
Beat Collingwood - Night game (scraped home) :heavycheck:
Beat Melbourne - Day game, flogged them :heavycheck:

So...
Night games = 5, winning percentage 60% (Only convincing win was vs the suns)
Day games = 9, winning percentage 88% (only game we lost was a tight one against the demons)
Have you been to many saturday or friday night games? The crowd is usually liquored up and a lot rowdier than a Sunday. It depends on the opponents too, no-one is going to get into it if Eagles are playing an easy beat.

yes, hope we don't stand still, keep evolving with game-plan etc.
Obviously other teams will be influenced from our 2018 season and tactics.
Those that can may be using two rucks and copying the JD+JK combo.
Other teams always on the rise. Doubt we will slip under any radars in 2019.
But we have enough stock and in-house potential to keep improving this season.
Wondering if there'll be a game where we get thumped and brought back to earth.
Can see the headlines now "Eagles wings clipped!"...ah, miss it already!

You can find players to apply forwardline pressure to copy the bulldogs/tigers/pies game planprwtty easy. Its going to be harder for clubs to find 2 gun key forwards, 2 servicable rucks and mids who can adjust to 1 less mid for rotations.

Richmond just picked up a decent key forward for nothing. They are a big threat next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back