2019 Formula One Season

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't remember if it's been talked about on here before, but his F3 title comes across a bit iffy.

Mick Schumacher has been signed to the Ferrari driving academy lessens the possibility of Ricciardo ever joining Ferrari?

Mick Schumacher will have absolutely no influence on whether Ricciardo ever joins Ferrari.

Ricciardo is an Aussie with Italian heritage Galaxie would be devastated if he joined Ferrari down the track must be born in Europe preferably Italy.

Ricciardo is an Aussie with Italian heritage Galaxie would be devastated if he joined Ferrari down the track must be born in Europe preferably Italy.
Anyone identifies the country of their birth is awful, particularly if they have Italian heritage

You're just some Aussie fanboy who's only interested in F1 because there's a skippy there. You're not even a real F1 fan.

I can't remember if it's been talked about on here before, but his F3 title comes across a bit iffy.

Mick Schumacher has been signed to the Ferrari driving academy lessens the possibility of Ricciardo ever joining Ferrari?

Mick Schumacher will have absolutely no influence on whether Ricciardo ever joins Ferrari.

Well with Leclerc there who is young, and if young Mick hopefully having quite a bit of his dads talent, then Dan who is getting on now hopefully wont ever be needed.
Smiles.

Ricciardo has southern Italian heritage, he chose to represent Aus... he can get to F...

How good was it that Italy lost the 1990 World Cup semi final, to a team that was captained by Napoli's captain?

Well with Leclerc there who is young, and if young Mick hopefully having quite a bit of his dads talent,
If Mick Schumacher gets in F1. If he's lucky, he'll match his father's Mercedes Benz record.

then Dan who is getting on now hopefully wont ever be needed.
Smiles.
Getting on? Which F1 series are you paying attention to? The guy's 29. He's good for another 10 years minimum.

How good was it that Italy lost the 1990 World Cup semi final, to a team that was captained by Napoli's captain?

If Mick Schumacher gets in F1. If he's lucky, he'll match his father's Mercedes Benz record.

Getting on? Which F1 series are you paying attention to? The guy's 29. He's good for another 10 years minimum.

Better when Australia loses... oh anything.... in the sporting world.
4 stars.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they raced with no inhibitions, they'd be 1-1.5 second a lap quicker than anyone else.

BIG call! that's some margin you've got there - understandable for the bottom feeder teams but 1 and a half ahead of the horses is drawing a long bow even the bulls. Agreed that merc is like the 3peat Bris at the minute but that margin? That's like Bris winning their 3 by 150 points each.

Would Daniel in a merc be one and a half quicker than Daniel in a horse? Hard to gauge but unlikely.

As much as there is disparity in performance from the top to the bottom teams I have confidence in every driver on the grid, you've got to be the elite of the elite just to land a test drive let alone a seat for contract.

Expect Le Clerc to shine this year, I've found Bottas disappointing since his move to the tri star though. As for Daniel I think he'll rejuvenate the Renault team but won't have as a good a season so far.

Last edited:

10 years! That'll make him 39, if I am correct only Fernando and Michael have gone that long and those guy's aren't your garden variety F1 drivers. Whilst i'll admit Daniel is very high calibre and he still possibly has development for improvement he is no Alonso or Schuey at their peak or at the very least yet to prove so.

Well without knowing the basis of your opinion, I disagree. Ricciardo's "premiership window" will be wide open for a long time (As it is for a lot of the top drivers).

Racing is not like footy, where you have to exert yourself physically, therefore you need your optimal physical capability, which obviously occurs in your 20s and carries over a bit into your 30s. With the knowledge gained in nutrition and fitness in sport the past couple of decades, along with the conditioning drivers have nowadays in driving in F1, I'm pretty confident that drivers will now be racing in F1 at a sufficient level into their 40s.

The main difference between Schumacher/Alonso and Ricciardo, is that Ricciardo has never driven a championship contending car in his career. Both Schu/Alonso drove one as soon as their 3rd & 4th season in F1. Ricciardo is now beginning his 8th full year. He hasn't had the support in his corner Schu/Alonso have had, and certainly the deification Schumacher has got.

For a guy who hasn't driven a championship contender, he's already go the best record anyone has ever had. The only thing you can speculate on with Daniel is what he'd be like with the sustained pressure to perform when he's in the best car on the grid?

I can write more, but I can't be bothered atm.

I dont tend to disagree with the Dodgy one all that often, but I will here. If ADR is still in F1 in 10 years time I'll be staggered, particularly if he doesn't win a title in that time.

Well without knowing the basis of your opinion, I disagree. Ricciardo's "premiership window" will be wide open for a long time (As it is for a lot of the top drivers).

The main difference between Schumacher/Alonso and Ricciardo, is that Ricciardo has never driven a championship contending car in his career. Both Schu/Alonso drove one as soon as their 3rd & 4th season in F1. Ricciardo is now beginning his 8th full year. He hasn't had the support in his corner Schu/Alonso have had, and certainly the deification Schumacher has got.

I do wonder if this is a chicken/egg relationship.

What WDC driver wasn't in their WDC winning team by the end of his 4th season?

Last 25 years (back to Hill)
Rosberg 2016 - Joined McLaren in 2010 (4th WCC) his 5th year of F1. Won WDC in his 11th.
Vettel 2010 - Joined Red Bull in 2009 (2nd WCC) his 3rd year of F1. Won WDC in his 4th.
Button 2009 - Joined BAR/Honda/Brawn in 2003 (5th WCC) his 4th year of F1. Stayed forever and won WDC in his 10th
Hamilton 2008 - Joined McLaren in 2007 (2nd WCC) his 1st year of F1. Won WDC in his 2nd year
Raikkonen 2007 - Joined McLaren in 2003 (3rd WCC) his 3rd year of F1. Switched to Ferrari in 2007 and won WDC same year (his 7th)
Alonso 2005 - Joined Renault in 2002 (4th WCC) his 2nd year of F1. Stayed with Renault and won WDC in his 5th
Hakkinen 1998 - Joined McLaren in 1993 (4th WCC) his 3rd year of F1. Stayed with McLaren forever and won WDC in his 7th
Villeneuve 1997 - Joined Williams in 1996 (1st WCC) his 1st year of F1 and won WDC in his 2nd
Hill 1996 - Joined Williams in 1995 (1st WCC) his 2nd year of F1 and won WDC in his 3rd

Only Button joined a team that wasn't already top-4 and it took 10 years to win a WDC.
Hill, Villeneuve, Vettel, Hamilton all joined Championship calibre teams in their first "senior" contract.
Hakkinen, Alonso, Button and Rosberg all took 3+ years building up with their new team.
Raikkonen is the only one to switch from top-4 team to Championship winner.

Riccardo ???? - Joined Red Bull in 2014 (2nd WCC) his 4th year of F1. (Didn't win WDC). Joined Renault in 2009 (4th WCC) his 8th year of F1.....

If he does eventually wins a WDC, he will have done something that none of his contemporaries have. It takes more than just talent to win a WDC. IMO, unless the Renault package 2019-2022 is something out of this world (Brawn 2009 style) I think his window has closed.

I'm completely perplexed that this notion some of you have about the window closing or being closed?

It's not like AFL - where a team can jump up in 12 months from out of the 8 to a premiership contender. The climb is much slower, short of cheating or regulatory change. Mercedes is also no ordinary champion, they even put Hawthorn's 2012-2016 run to shame. More dominant than any AFL team has ever been, and in a sport that money is so powerful change is slow.

Is Riccardo going to win it this year? Extremely unlikely. Renault would have to make a quantum jump to get close to Ferrari and Red Bull, let alone Mercedes. I don't see it happening for Riccardo in the next 2-3 years. After that, Hamilton and Vettel will likely be retired, and Verstappen should be at/near his peak and in all likelihood Mercedes will still be the car to beat.

Riccardo's best shot is if Renault nail the regulatory changes, and everyone else doesn't. A Mercedes implosion post-Hamilton would be good too, or perhaps Mercedes might head-hunt him when Hamilton is ready to retire.

The window's not closed but there is less light left than Jenson Button had a decade ago. Hawthorn nearly won in 16 four years after their peak. Bulldogs came from nowhere and fell back into obscurity. But Renault beating Mercedes to a championship is almost as unlikely as Carlton beating Hawthorn to a Premiership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back