Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
May 7, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
Also, just seen the team tire choices for the Aus GP.

https://www.facebook.com/adrian.chambers.5/posts/981779868684225

They've made an absolute mess with the different compounds. Just call them Prime, Option and Quali so everyone is using the same language as the teams (or Soft, Medium, Hard if its really that difficult). Easy

The public dont need to know which of the actual compounds (now differentiated by C1/C2 and so on) make up that 3 tyres for that weekend.

White is hard, yellow medium and red soft. No matter the compound choices for the circuit, they will be the colours.

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
White is hard, yellow medium and red soft. No matter the compound choices for the circuit, they will be the colours.
Including which compounds are making up the hard, medium and soft (C1-C5) is where the confusion is created.
For example this race
Soft = C4
Medium = C3
Hard = C2

But you will find for example at Monaco
Soft = C5
Medium = C4
Hard = C3

It would be less convoluted if they didn't give us the compound types and just said soft, medium, hard for each race

darth_timon

Hakuna Matata!
Oct 24, 2011
UK
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Stevenage
This new tyre system is just an absolute joke. When they change things like this for the sake of it, it can alienate fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
Also, just seen the team tire choices for the Aus GP.

https://www.facebook.com/adrian.chambers.5/posts/981779868684225

They've made an absolute mess with the different compounds. Just call them Prime, Option and Quali so everyone is using the same language as the teams (or Soft, Medium, Hard if its really that difficult). Easy

The public dont need to know which of the actual compounds (now differentiated by C1/C2 and so on) make up that 3 tyres for that weekend.

100%. For a casual follower like me, tyre codes is meaningless. Soft, medium and hard, please.

5 episodes into the series. Some interesting behind the scenes footage that’s for sure. The exchanges between Christian Horner and Cyril Abitebol in particular during episode 4.

Quite a lot of time is given to Ricciardo too so far. Clear to see that even before Monaco he was thinking about leaving Red Bull.

Oct 1, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NFC AUFC MUFC Socceroos
5 episodes into the series. Some interesting behind the scenes footage that’s for sure. The exchanges between Christian Horner and Cyril Abitebol in particular during episode 4.

Quite a lot of time is given to Ricciardo too so far. Clear to see that even before Monaco he was thinking about leaving Red Bull.
Horner comes across as a bit of a dick

Got a lot of time coming up on planes this week- will download the series tonight.

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Horner comes across as a bit of a dick
Its a pretty selective documentary from what I have seen (5 episodes in). They focus soo much on Red Bull at the Austrian Grand Prix and don't even mention that Verstappen won the race, because the narrative is all about Daniel.

It seems like they tried a little too hard to create hero vs villain narratives (Silver spoon Stroll vs Working Class Ocon)

The fake commentary is a bit much

Its a pretty selective documentary from what I have seen (5 episodes in). They focus soo much on Red Bull at the Austrian Grand Prix and don't even mention that Verstappen won the race, because the narrative is all about Daniel.

It seems like they tried a little too hard to create hero vs villain narratives (Silver spoon Stroll vs Working Class Ocon)

They definitely used real audio from Crofty and Brudle, but the other guy definitely sounded like it was 'too perfect' for the narrative they were going for.

bitadash

Senior List
Mar 25, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Calgary Flames, Renault
I welcome all the new fans to the Enstone Renault team. may your stay bring success.
Also kinda cool actually hearing about my team in mainstream news now rather than just redbull this redbull that :D

So stoked to not have to follow RBR in anyway shape or form now. I can now despise MV with pure unadulterated disgust. Happy days!!
Hopefully RS can now bring some podium action back :) Either Ric or Hulk... two favourite drivers anyway :)

GCStormie

Team Captain
Aug 29, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
WCE, Renault F1, Scorchers
Interesting that LeClerc and Hulkenberg both have an extra hard/C4 set than their more veteran team mates. Also interesting that Renault are taking the most sets of soft tyres of all teams
Hulkenberg is both older and has more race starts than Ricciardo. They'll be treated equally but if you were to call one of them 'more veteran' you'd be talking about Hulk.

Oct 1, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NFC AUFC MUFC Socceroos

Oh there's a slant on it, to me it's the way Horner reacts to Ric leaving with Cybil, compared to his arrogance when announcing they were leaving Renault.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
Hulkenberg is both older and has more race starts than Ricciardo. They'll be treated equally but if you were to call one of them 'more veteran' you'd be talking about Hulk.
Fine. How about "preferred", or "the number 1 driver" then.

You're deluded if you think Hulkenberg and Ricciardo will be treated equally. F1 teams don't pay one guy 7 times as much as the other and then treat them the same

How long before the posters on this board turn on Hulkenberg ?
The first time he makes contact with Dan's car

DamoESP

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs, Dallas Stars
Really enjoyed Drive to Survive, and thought it was a rather well produced series. Glad they are doing a second season this year (already been filming Barcelona testing and they will be at the Melb GP this weekend). Although a fair bit of it was common knowledge for us rusted on diehards in here (and a few scenes were made to appear much more dramatic than they actually were), still thought there was enough new and never before seen content to keep it interesting.

They should do one every season, as I believe this will help draw in new fans. I know of 2-3 personal friends that have watched the series that didn't previously have a real interest in F1, that are now excited to watch the GP this weekend and follow the season.

I hope they continue to do a season every year, one episode per team, as there is always dramas going on behind the scenes and will only help to drive up the viewership and popularity of the sport. Ross Brawn is already talking about trying to ensure that ALL teams (Looking at you Mercedes/Ferrari) are involved this season.

http://f1i.com/news/332093-brawn-wants-all-f1-teams-onboard-for-second-netflix-series.html

GCStormie

Team Captain
Aug 29, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
WCE, Renault F1, Scorchers
Fine. How about "preferred", or "the number 1 driver" then.

You're deluded if you think Hulkenberg and Ricciardo will be treated equally. F1 teams don't pay one guy 7 times as much as the other and then treat them the same

The first time he makes contact with Dan's car
Rosberg and Hamilton were paid the same then were they?

If Dan EARNS preferential treatment by substantially outperforming Hulkenberg he might get preferential treatment later in the year. You're deluded if you think the size of the paycheque means it'll happen from race 1. its not like Hulk is a first season rookie.

(just quietly, I dont think Dan will outperform Hulkenberg, think it'll be one of the closer H2Hs on the grid.)

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
Hard to believe Hulkenburg is now a veteran of nearly 10 years and 150 odd races. It just doesn't seem that long ago that he was the new 22 yr old coming in with the GP2 title (and having won just about everything in the 2 or 3 years before that). A lot people had him picked as a future F1 champion, probably could have been with a decent car.

Back