2019 Formula One Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Enlighten me. What does “pre-set lap distance-dependent brake bias adjustment system” mean?

Sounds intriguing - I'm guessing the computer knows how far through the lap it is, and thus is adjusting brake bias according to a pre-programmed setting for maximum effectiveness for each corner.

Instead of the driver manually adjusting (perhaps 2-3 times per lap where most effective and time for the distraction), the vehicle is adjusting itself automatically.

Miami track given the go ahead for 2021, going around the Miami Dolphins football stadium.

Ughh..
Have they learnt nothing?
tracks with huge tarmac run off areas don’t punish the drivers for mistakes.
Which makes for boring racing.
Skysports F1 have had an ongoing discussion about how much better tracks that “bite” are for the spectator.
And how much more the drivers have to lift their skill level.
But the newest track is just another Abu Dhabi.
Why? Oh why?

Nothing exciting about that track. I'm sure it will look visually impressive on TV which seems to be all they care about now.
Looks like a fairly standard "Tilke-drome" - a couple of long straights ending in hair-pins/tight corners with some winding esses in between. Tilke-dromes have had varying success, so who really knows which side of the ledger this track will fall.

How many races would that be? There's already 22 races scheduled for next year, so will they drop one or are they just going to keep adding them?

Looks like a fairly standard "Tilke-drome" - a couple of long straights ending in hair-pins/tight corners with some winding esses in between. Tilke-dromes have had varying success, so who really knows which side of the ledger this track will fall.

ChainBear had a good video on Tilke tracks

FYI: If you guys havent watched any of ChainBears videos before....you're missing out! Very informative videos covering all aspects of the sport, he manages to explain and demonstrate even some of the more complicated technical elements of the cars on a level that everyone can understand.

Last edited:
Miami track given the go ahead for 2021, going around the Miami Dolphins football stadium.

Having been there before...what a dull area of Miami to build a track/hold a race in. There is nothing really around the stadium other than massive stadium car parks, a Walmart and residential housing.

If you're gonna hold a race in Miami, at least do it around South Beach!

The season is turning into an unmitigated disaster for Ricciardo. Needs a Ferrari or Mercedes to come to the rescue, badly.
Both Ferrari and Mercedes are locked in for next year I think...

It would take a Nico Rosberg like sudden retirement to have an open seat next season. Even then, I don't know if Ricciardo would be the first driver they go after anymore.

It would take a Nico Rosberg like sudden retirement to have an open seat next season. Even then, I don't know if Ricciardo would be the first driver they go after anymore.
Yup, most of the seats for 2020 are filled:

Mercedes - Lewis Hamilton, Valtteri Bottas
Ferrari - Sebastian Vettel, Charles Leclerc
Red Bull Racing - Max Verstappen, TBA (Alex Albon is odds on)
McLaren - Lando Norris, Carlos Sainz Jr.
Renault - Daniel Ricciardo, Esteban Ocon
Alpha Tauri - Daniil Kvyat, TBA (Pierre Gasly is odds on)
Racing Point - Sergio Pérez, Lance Stroll
Alfa Romeo Racing - Kimi Räikkönen, TBA
Haas - Romain Grosjean, Kevin Magnussen
Williams - George Russell, TBA

The only question is whether or not Kimi retires at the end of the season and therefore there are two seats to fill instead of one. Giovinazzi has probably done enough to get another season at Alpha.

There's a bunch of Formula Two drivers (Nyck de Vries, Nicholas Latifi, Luca Ghiotto) that are probably jostling for what looks like only one seat!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yup, most of the seats for 2020 are filled:

Mercedes - Lewis Hamilton, Valtteri Bottas
Ferrari - Sebastian Vettel, Charles Leclerc
Red Bull Racing - Max Verstappen, TBA (Alex Albon is odds on)
McLaren - Lando Norris, Carlos Sainz Jr.
Renault - Daniel Ricciardo, Esteban Ocon
Alpha Tauri - Daniil Kvyat, TBA (Pierre Gasly is odds on)
Racing Point - Sergio Pérez, Lance Stroll
Alfa Romeo Racing - Kimi Räikkönen, TBA
Haas - Romain Grosjean, Kevin Magnussen
Williams - George Russell, TBA

The only question is whether or not Kimi retires at the end of the season and therefore there are two seats to fill instead of one. Giovinazzi has probably done enough to get another season at Alpha.

There's a bunch of Formula Two drivers (Nyck de Vries, Nicholas Latifi, Luca Ghiotto) that are probably jostling for what looks like only one seat!
Is Jack Aitken in that fight for a F1 seat ?
He was great in commentary at Suzuka, but not sure if he's a strong driver or not...

Is Jack Aitken in that fight for a F1 seat ?
He was great in commentary at Suzuka, but not sure if he's a strong driver or not...
Aitken has enough Super Licence points and would also be in the mix. I just grabbed the current top three from F2, because they automatically get the 40 points needed for a Super Licence.

Rumour is that Latifi is the favourite for the 2nd Williams seat, probably due to him being the current Williams reserve/test driver. He's currently in 2nd position in F2.

An interesting statistic is that Nyck de Vries, Nicholas Latifi, Luca Ghiotto, and Jack Aitken were all born in 1995.

Yep.
While he will continue to drive, his chance at the top jobs is pretty much gone.
As talented, maybe more talented, and more marketable drivers are pushing forward. Many of those from the RB, Merc and Ferrari stables. He will cash out of F1 with a tidy nest egg by the time he finishes, and good on him for that. But dreams of F1 champion are effectively done.

It's easy to say. Who would they go for ahead of him?
Yep.
While he will continue to drive, his chance at the top jobs is pretty much gone.
As talented, maybe more talented, and more marketable drivers are pushing forward. Many of those from the RB, Merc and Ferrari stables.
Who are you talking about?

It's easy to say. Who would they go for ahead of him?

Who are you talking about?
If it was this year that a seat came up for availability at Mercedes/Ferrari then Verstappen or Alonso would probably be offered the seat before Daniel.

If it's a few years down the line before a seat is available (likely) then I'd expect guys like Russell, Norris and even Albon to be more attractive options due to age (by then you could make Leclerc and Bottas the team leaders, and bring these guys on as seconds).

What's so good about Russell, NOrris and Albon, and what do you expect them to do to justify being ahead of Ricciardo?
On the assumption that these seats won't be available until after 2021, the natural progression of these drivers based on what they have done this year I think would make them ideal "2nd drivers" to Leclerc and Bottas.

On the assumption that these seats won't be available until after 2021, the natural progression of these drivers based on what they have done this year I think would make them ideal "2nd drivers" to Leclerc and Bottas.
Ricciardo could probably fit as a 2nd driven to Leclerc if he's desperate to leave Renault and nobody is offering him a #1 seat. Personally I think Leclerc has to be the #1 driver for Ferrari next year regardless. He's shown that he's better than Vettel, and if we're being honest, Seb has dined out on his halcyon era with Red Bull for far too long.

Don't see Bottas as being anything other than a 2nd driver just personally, and neither him or Ricciardo hold a candle to Hamilton. When Lewis goes I can see Mercedes making a big play for Verstappen.

Renualt as a manufacturer at the cross roads per report for 2021-2025... not pulling out but publically assessing all positions.

ADR could be ****ed here.

Ill post the link to article when I can...

And people said going to Renault would not be ADR's version of Webber to Williams... uh huh. sadface.

Renualt as a manufacturer at the cross roads per report for 2021-2025... not pulling out but publically assessing all positions.

ADR could be f’ed here.

Ill post the link to article when I can...

And people said going to Renault would not be ADR's version of Webber to Williams... uh huh. sadface.

Which is ironic because Webber would have been way better off going to Renault..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back