Position 2019 Forwards

Remove this Banner Ad

Heeney was great last year. Can't look past him in the slightest this year.

Him, Danger and Dunkley should be in everybodys forward lines.
Running a 4 premo forwardline this year and rolling the dice on some backline mid pricers.

Running Danger, Dev Smith, Heeney and Dunks. Dunkley was my first player picked.

Anyone aside from me looking at a bloke who since 2013 has averaged 83, 90, 93, 92, 86, 96 and only in 1% of teams?

Talking of course about Jacky Boy Gunston.

Running a 4 premo forwardline this year and rolling the dice on some backline mid pricers.

Running Danger, Dev Smith, Heeney and Dunks. Dunkley was my first player picked.

Going with the exact same strategy and players but Gunston instead of Dunks, who I will monitor through JLT.

I'm looking at a Danger, Heeney, Gray, Dunkley forward line (especially if Greene doesn't get up). I think these 4 are all very 'safe' picks with upside considering injury history, scoring potential and 'midfield minutes' they are all meant to be seeing more of.

I don't see the same 'safe' picks down back - Lloyd could easily go backwards on his average with the new rules, and I don't think upside exists. I'm pretty sure Laird regresses with B.Smith back and new rules. Docherty is gone. Simpsons old. That leaves Whitfield and Sicily (with Sicily likely able to be picked up cheaper given his variance).

IF back rookies look okay for R1 I am very interested in going 4 premos deep in the forwards for 2019 at the expense of defense premos.

I'm looking at a Danger, Heeney, Gray, Dunkley forward line (especially if Greene doesn't get up). I think these 4 are all very 'safe' picks with upside considering injury history, scoring potential and 'midfield minutes' they are all meant to be seeing more of.

I don't see the same 'safe' picks down back - Lloyd could easily go backwards on his average with the new rules, and I don't think upside exists. I'm pretty sure Laird regresses with B.Smith back and new rules. Docherty is gone. Simpsons old. That leaves Whitfield and Sicily (with Sicily likely able to be picked up cheaper given his variance).

IF back rookies look okay for R1 I am very interested in going 4 premos deep in the forwards for 2019 at the expense of defense premos.
It's the way I'm leaning.

Danger and Heeney locked. Can't really decide on which two of Gray, Dunkley, Smith or Mundy. Menegola misses out for now purely to being that little bit extra and my funds are tight atm.

I have Lloyd as a placeholder but seriously considering a move to Whitfield who has midfield potential if he stagnates down back, enormous tank.

This year there seems to be a number of premo mids nominated as forwards so may as well stock up. Was tempted by Worpel as well.

I agree completely with your comment that there aren't many 'safe' backline premiums and on top of that there are a few mid-pricers who are coming back from injury as well as some who are potentially ready to breakout. Thus, I'm definitely not going to spend big in my backline. I also believe there will be a few backline rookie options available. They may come at a premium rookie price (Collins, Logue, Quaynor, Scrimshaw) but in my opinion some of them e.g Collins and Quaynor, if selected, could score quite well. Scrimshaw, Logue, McKay and Hore seem to be decent options too at this very early stage.

You've also identified that there are several forward premiums that seem to have slight upside or at least appear more capable of maintaining their average than the backline premiums on offer. Once again i agree with you and currently my forwardline consists of Danger, Heeney, Gray, Dunkley, Parfitt, Setterfield (Parker & Cavarra). Even with that pretty massive forwardline expenditure ive been able to get what i believe is a quality midfield with reasonable depth. My rucks and backline don't look great on paper but i believe i have picked enough value options that will hopefully end up as either good stepping stones or, if im lucky, low end keepers.

The rucks and backs seem to be the positions that will be affected most by the rule changes so to me it makes sense to take a wait and see approach before committing lots of money. Of course i could be way off but at the moment id rather solidify my mids and forwards and worry about the other positions later once the dust settles.

It's the way I'm leaning.

Danger and Heeney locked. Can't really decide on which two of Gray, Dunkley, Smith or Mundy. Menegola misses out for now purely to being that little bit extra and my funds are tight atm.
Agree .... so of the 3 realistic third forwards ; Smith, Gray, Dunkley .... who’s the best priced, best value to increase their average

Can Smith play and score any better than 2018 ?

Will Gray play more mid minutes And thus score more

Is Dunkley still on the rise after a great 2nd half of the season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree .... so of the 3 realistic third forwards ; Smith, Gray, Dunkley .... who’s the best priced, best value to increase their average

Can Smith play and score any better than 2018 ?

Will Gray play more mid minutes And thus score more

Is Dunkley still on the rise after a great 2nd half of the season
I think Devon tops out at 100, DE lets him down at times and he relies a lot on tackles for his points.

Gray had a pretty poor end to the year - avg 87 from Rd9 onwards. But midfield role he's almost set for 105 average.

I feel Dunkley has the most room for improvement out of the 3, but the question marks are on role with Libba in the side and if Bont gets back to the middle more.

Based on price vs max potential, I would go Dunkley > Gray > Smith.

I think Devon tops out at 100, DE lets him down at times and he relies a lot on tackles for his points.

Gray had a pretty poor end to the year - avg 87 from Rd9 onwards. But midfield role he's almost set for 105 average.

I feel Dunkley has the most room for improvement out of the 3, but the question marks are on role with Libba in the side and if Bont gets back to the middle more.

Based on price vs max potential, I would go Dunkley > Gray > Smith.
:thumbsu: I really value your advice and judgement ..... let’s hope your team isn’t as s**t as last year & you take your own advice :p;)

Is there a reason Menegola always gets overlooked?
Is it just a case of the cats having too many players capable of getting 100+ averages?

99, 100, 100 average over last 3 years - he's a stud.

If his scores fluctuate like last year he makes an ideal upgrade target. Huge variance between best and worst.

Is there a reason Menegola always gets overlooked?
Is it just a case of the cats having too many players capable of getting 100+ averages?

99, 100, 100 average over last 3 years - he's a stud.

I'd say it's the highs and lows. Can go super big and super small. I'm looking more for a type of player who might score a few 80's in a row and then a 100 rather than post a 130 followed by a 40. As much as Travis Boak was frustrating last year (since I chose him over Devon Smith), he had a 5 game stretch of scores in the 80's and didn't post too many below 70 which was rather nice. With Ablett, Selwood, Duncan and Kelly in the Geelong side, consistency over a full season can't always be expected from Menegola. At his price you'd want someone you can fully rely on.

If his scores fluctuate like last year he makes an ideal upgrade target. Huge variance between best and worst.

Yeah, fair enough.
He was a slow starter, but then really got going.

I guess what I see from him is he puts up a heap of 120+ scores with the odd 70
7 scores 119+
6 scores between 100-119

With 9 under 100.

I can see a bit more why there could be hesitation.

Thoughts on Zac Fisher?
Most highly rated kid we have and that in itself is saying something.

Will play every game barring an injury and he is well entrenched in the best 22. As for SC he can go big but the consistency is not there yet to make me pick him.

His clean ball use is a plus and he rarely turns it over which champion data love while he runs all day and takes the game on. Just to awkwardly priced for me as much as I love him and there is better options currently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back