Position 2019 Forwards

Remove this Banner Ad

At this early stage it seems like pretty much all forwardlines will consist of some combination of Danger/Heeney/Wingard/Gray/Greene. Most will probably start with 4 of those 5 and some may start 3. I highly doubt many people will go unique in the forwards this season. I think Dunkley, Dev Smith, Gresham and maybe even Worpel and Billings could be decent alternatives but there are ? marks over most of them. If Jack Martin was assured more midfield time id definitely consider him too but i cant trust Dew. I guess there is nothing wrong with having a pretty generic forwardline, it just means nailing that combination of popular players will be crucial.

At this early stage it seems like pretty much all forwardlines will consist of some combination of Danger/Heeney/Wingard/Gray/Greene. Most will probably start with 4 of those 5 and some may start 3. I highly doubt many people will go unique in the forwards this season. I think Dunkley, Dev Smith, Gresham and maybe even Worpel and Billings could be decent alternatives but there are ? marks over most of them. If Jack Martin was assured more midfield time id definitely consider him too but i cant trust Dew. I guess there is nothing wrong with having a pretty generic forwardline, it just means nailing that combination of popular players will be crucial.
Think that Devon is more popular than Gray, just not on this forum. Other than that you're spot on.

Everybody seems to be going the mid/fwd options and they are great choices as they get a lot of the ball but so many are not taking into account the new zoning rules brought in for this season freeing up the tall power forwards.

No more dropping men back and double teaming the power forwards from each club which will see a heap of 1 V 1 contests and some big bags of goals kicked as the likes of Josh Kennedy / Buddy / Charlie Curnow / Lynch / Ben Brown will see daylight they have never seen before and they are capable of massive scores under these new rules.

Would not surprise me to see a heap of stay at home tall forwards dominate forward scoring this season and i am taking at least 3 this year.

Everybody seems to be going the mid/fwd options and they are great choices as they get a lot of the ball but so many are not taking into account the new zoning rules brought in for this season freeing up the tall power forwards.

No more dropping men back and double teaming the power forwards from each club which will see a heap of 1 V 1 contests and some big bags of goals kicked as the likes of Josh Kennedy / Buddy / Charlie Curnow / Lynch / Ben Brown will see daylight they have never seen before and they are capable of massive scores under these new rules.

Would not surprise me to see a heap of stay at home tall forwards dominate forward scoring this season and i am taking at least 3 this year.

Hawkins

Him to!

Over the last few seasons they can win you and lose you many games as they go from 150+ 1 week to 60 the next hence most stayed away with only 1 starting at the max but the new rules totally bring them back in to consideration and Josh Kennedy went 150+ a few games last season from memory while missing many set shots with the old rules!

Stay at home power forwards and 1 V 1 beasts need serious consideration this year.

The only way that this new zoning forwards rule will help key forwards is if the midfield completely dominated the middle.
Once the centre bounce has happened, teams will still flood the backlines

On the flip side the zoning rules only apply to centre bounces. After that you will see wingers in particular pushing fwd/back as soon as the ball hits the ground. There will still be double teaming aplenty in general play and any other stoppage besides a centre bounce.
We won't see the true effect of the new rules on SC scores until the season proper starts.
You could be right and I think starting one Lynch/JJK type has merit, but any others I'll wait and see before bringing them in.

I still think that Telly is still a viable alternative as well

On the flip side the zoning rules only apply to centre bounces. After that you will see wingers in particular pushing fwd/back as soon as the ball hits the ground. There will still be double teaming aplenty in general play and any other stoppage besides a centre bounce.
We won't see the true effect of the new rules on SC scores until the season proper starts.
You could be right and I think starting one Lynch/JJK type has merit, but any others I'll wait and see before bringing them in.

Will test out teams fitness levels as blokes rush all over the place and i like the no more sacrificing the forward to play a loose man in the Defensive 50 dropping into the hole and double teaming other teams key forwards.

JJK and Buddy are going to be lethal IMO with these new rules.

Interesting with the big forwards.
Understand the logic but reluctant to start any at full price given the chance they'll drop more heavily in price at some stage than the midfielders are likely to.
JJK nice price, has the pedigree, but durability not great last couple of years, have to see how Lynch and Riewoldt will be used etc.
Agree on Telly, flying under the radar right now.

JRoo last year a great example of the dream scenario.
Concussion game and other low score had him down to 310k-odd(?), was perfect as a post-bye cheap target and went on to average what, 105-ish?
Was dead keen, had him pencilled in, then Jack Billings got dropped and I went for Benny Ainsworth early with the theoretical bye bonus. Cry myself to sleep at night to this day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darling is the one to watch. I wont start with him but will be grabbing him in draft.
Wouldn't be surprised if he finished the highest scoring key forward.
No chance. Buddy JJK Jroo Lynch all way head.

No chance. Buddy JJK Jroo Lynch all way head.
Darling had 8 tonnes from 18 games
Buddy had 9 from 18 games but Darling hit a higher ceiling of 181

Jroo did score a 219 but that was against Gold Coast.
Jroo scored 1 more tonne than Darling but played 4 more games

Lynch and JJK were way behind in output last year

If Darling learns how to catch the ball and benefits from the new rules in any way then he improves IMO. Still not crazy enough to start him though but wont be surprised if he goes nuts.

Darling had 8 tonnes from 18 games
Buddy had 9 from 18 games but Darling hit a higher ceiling of 181

Jroo did score a 219 but that was against Gold Coast.
Jroo scored 1 more tonne than Darling but played 4 more games

Lynch and JJK were way behind in output last year

If Darling learns how to catch the ball and benefits from the new rules in any way then he improves IMO. Still not crazy enough to start him though but wont be surprised if he goes nuts.
Darling started hot but also had only ONE tonne between rd10-22...also includes a -1, 14 & 39. Yucky poo.
Highest career average of 86. Can’t see how he’d end up as the top forward this year. Top 15...yes.

I

I would have thought that Smith would have been the most popular F2. Does it all and seems to work incredibly hard. Could improve again.

I've gone off Toby, particularly underdone. Like DeGoey he has to score a lot of goals to generate a decent score.
Personally I have question marks over Gresham and Dunkley too. More mid time for Saints best forward sounds promising, but I remember how Petracca was going to explode last year. Dunkley thrived with midfield time but Libba back might restrict that, as he can only play as an inside mid.

Fwiw Wingard has impressed during the early training sessions. Could just be that he is outshining a fairly ordinary group.

Of the power forwards Kennedy and Darling seem well priced and can score big. The 6-6-6 starting configuration may be to their advantage.

Darling started hot but also had only ONE tonne between rd10-22...also includes a -1, 14 & 39. Yucky poo.
Highest career average of 86. Can’t see how he’d end up as the top forward this year. Top 15...yes.
Take out those 3 injury games and he averaged 100 or some s**t

I reckon hes ready to go up a level

There aren't any gun B/F's like Sicily to swing him with anyway so that DPP is not worth as much. I think he'll be a top 6 scorer in the forwards this year, just a matter of deciding whether to start with him or trade him in.
IMO look at exactly what his role is first

There aren't any gun B/F's like Sicily to swing him with anyway so that DPP is not worth as much. I think he'll be a top 6 scorer in the forwards this year, just a matter of deciding whether to start with him or trade him in.
Its nice to shuffle your premos around available cash cows in the first 1/3 of the game.

I

I would have thought that Smith would have been the most popular F2. Does it all and seems to work incredibly hard. Could improve again.

I've gone off Toby, particularly underdone. Like DeGoey he has to score a lot of goals to generate a decent score.
Personally I have question marks over Gresham and Dunkley too. More mid time for Saints best forward sounds promising, but I remember how Petracca was going to explode last year. Dunkley thrived with midfield time but Libba back might restrict that, as he can only play as an inside mid.

Fwiw Wingard has impressed during the early training sessions. Could just be that he is outshining a fairly ordinary group.

Of the power forwards Kennedy and Darling seem well priced and can score big. The 6-6-6 starting configuration may be to their advantage.

Just watch the opening play of this clip and you'll be a believer in Gresh. Ffs, hand the kid the Brownlow now

Bob Cobb
Sir Skid

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back