NFL 2019 Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Now watch for the Patriots to bring him in on a very modest contract to replace Trent Brown who went to the Raiders on a 66 million pension plan :tongueout: .

This time next year Penn outperforms T.Brown , by some margin.

Reality Check : Trent Brown now is the highest paid OT in the league :shrug: .... thats correct folks .......and this is the same guy that gave up 13 QB back hits last season the third worst for a tackle in the league.
T Brown production as bad as it was this season past is actually flattered by Bradys quick release and his OL Coach Dante Scarnecchia making the most of his limited talent.

I don't get what either of the Gruden's are doing........... oh and don't get me started on Gettleman and the Giants FFS :poo: .

Now watch for the Patriots to bring him in on a very modest contract to replace Trent Brown who went to the Raiders on a 66 million pension plan :tongueout: .

Reality Check : Trent Brown now is the highest paid OT in the league :shrug: .... thats correct folks .......and this is the same guy that gave up 13 QB back hits last season the third worst for a tackle in the league.
T Brown production as bad as it was this season past is actually flattered by Bradys quick release and his OL Coach Dante Scarnecchia making the most of his limited talent.

I don't get what either of the Gruden's are doing........... oh and don't get me started on Gettleman and the Giants FFS :poo: .

What about Isiah Wynn, wasn't he drafted to be ur LT last year before the Achilles injury...

Someone has to Tank for Tua (TM)

I don't have a fancy name for it, but the two year deal may indicate a more long term path based around Trevor Lawrence. If they are smart thats what they would be aiming for.

He'll be back at right tackle where he should be a bit more comfortable. The last time he played a full season at right tackle he only gave up 2 hits on the season. The Patriots passing offense is also schematically very similar Gruden's in Oakland, with plenty of quick releases to help the line out in pass protection.

Realistically though, he's getting paid because of his elite post season. He was flat out dominant in the playoffs and that was going up against two of the AFC West powerhouses in Kansas City and the Chargers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't have a fancy name for it, but the two year deal may indicate a more long term path based around Trevor Lawrence. If they are smart thats what they would be aiming for.
Sure Lawrence looks better now, but its pretty risky to look that far in advance. For every Andrew Luck who looks like a star early in their college career there's at least one Matt Barkley who gets found out the longer they are in college.

Plus, that would require the HC putting a lot of faith in the GM and owner not to fire them while they absolutely suck for 2 years - the NFL is no where near patient enough to allow the sort of building that happens in the AFL (or even the NBA with Philly and "The Process")

Realistically though, he's getting paid because of his elite post season. He was flat out dominant in the playoffs and that was going up against two of the AFC West powerhouses in Kansas City and the Chargers.

Be that as it may Chewy I still think you have paid massive overs on that contract.
Just because you have the coin and cap space it’s not necessarily prudent to spend it just cause you have it .

As one NFL commentator described this last weeks free agency where some crazy money was being thrown around

“ some teams where shooting greenbacks out of a snow blower “

By campairing the money you paid T Brown against not paying Mack what he was worth looks a strange decision from the outside looking in .

I certainly find it a head scratcher.

Be that as it may Chewy I still think you have paid massive overs on that contract.
Just because you have the coin and cap space it’s not necessarily prudent to spend it just cause you have it .

As one NFL commentator described this last weeks free agency where some crazy money was being thrown around

“ some teams where shooting greenbacks out of a snow blower “

By campairing the money you paid T Brown against not paying Mack what he was worth looks a strange decision from the outside looking in .

I certainly find it a head scratcher.

Overs? Yes. Massive overs? I don't think so. All about supply and demand. Even a mediocre tackle like Ja'Wuan James got 51 million over four years in Denver. Brown's contract is only guaranteed for 2 years anyway, so if he's a flop they're out of it without it hindering them long term (no dead money after 2020).

Comparing it to giving the money either to Brown or Mack is a little shortsighted. That certainly wasn't the plan when discussing Mack's contract. The Raiders offered Mack a little over 20 million per year, structured largely in a way that was pay as you go. It would still on average add up to more than what would have been Mack's 5th year option plus two franchise tags over the first three years of the deal. Where it got tricky was that Mack's agent Joel Segal pushed for the guaranteed money (majority of it at least) being paid in the form of a signing bonus, of which the Raiders weren't willing to do. Mack's contract with Chicago had 90 million guaranteed of which was a 60 million signing bonus. That's absurd money. In terms of guaranteed money, the amount Mack got is more than what the Raiders are paying AB, Trent Brown, LaMarcus Joyner and Tyrell Williams in guarantees.

Overs? Yes. Massive overs? I don't think so. All about supply and demand. Even a mediocre tackle like Ja'Wuan James got 51 million over four years in Denver. Brown's contract is only guaranteed for 2 years anyway, so if he's a flop they're out of it without it hindering them long term (no dead money after 2020).

Comparing it to giving the money either to Brown or Mack is a little shortsighted. That certainly wasn't the plan when discussing Mack's contract. The Raiders offered Mack a little over 20 million per year, structured largely in a way that was pay as you go. It would still on average add up to more than what would have been Mack's 5th year option plus two franchise tags over the first three years of the deal. Where it got tricky was that Mack's agent Joel Segal pushed for the guaranteed money (majority of it at least) being paid in the form of a signing bonus, of which the Raiders weren't willing to do. Mack's contract with Chicago had 90 million guaranteed of which was a 60 million signing bonus. That's absurd money. In terms of guaranteed money, the amount Mack got is more than what the Raiders are paying AB, Trent Brown, LaMarcus Joyner and Tyrell Williams in guarantees.

So they have already given up on Kolton Miller as LT after one year.

Edit: just read you say Brown will play right tackle, thats a hell of a lot of money for a RT no matter how spin it Chewy.

Last edited:

Lose for Lawrence ™

I even trademarked it for you wizard.

So they have already given up on Kolton Miller as LT after one year.

Edit: just read you say Brown will play right tackle, thats a hell of a lot of money for a RT no matter how spin it Chewy.

In recent years the right tackle has become just as important as the blindside tackle. Guys like Von Miller, Joey Bosa, Melvin Ingram and Khalil Mack (among other pass rushers) all rush a large proportion of the time attacking the right tackle. If your guy is weak there defensive coordinators are really honing in on lining their best pass rusher on that side.

In recent years the right tackle has become just as important as the blindside tackle. Guys like Von Miller, Joey Bosa, Melvin Ingram and Khalil Mack (among other pass rushers) all rush a large proportion of the time attacking the right tackle. If your guy is weak there defensive coordinators are really honing in on lining their best pass rusher on that side.

Yeah, it's a decent point but the QB can at least see it coming most out of the time tho. Still reckon blindside protection is far more important and worth more.

While on this point, if you were after a RT did Raiders even look at Daryl Williams, I'm still trying to understand why no one offered him a multi year deal looking at some of the contracts going round.

Perhaps he's just "more injured" than the Panthers have let on.

Yeah, it's a decent point but the QB can at least see it coming most out of the time tho. Still reckon blindside protection is far more important and worth more.

So if you have a very average RT it's not going to matter if your blindside is well covered always, because you'll be scrambling for your life as a QB. As a QB you still need to have that internal clock going off in your head, regardless of whether you can see the pressure or not. Look at a guy like Von Miller or Mack who can ruin an entire game because they feast on the right tackle. It's why we are now seeing guys get drafted high specifically to play the right side of the line. Both are equally as important imo.

While on this point, if you were after a RT did Raiders even look at Daryl Williams, I'm still trying to understand why no one offered him a multi year deal looking at some of the contracts going round.

Perhaps he's just "more injured" than the Panthers have let on.

He's coming off a major injury and has only played a full 16 game season once out of his four year career. That's a massive gamble and is not someone you'd be putting your faith in to hold down an important spot. Should back himself in on a one year deal to prove himself again and then he can potentially cash in come 12 months time.

So if you have a very average RT it's not going to matter if your blindside is well covered always, because you'll be scrambling for your life as a QB. As a QB you still need to have that internal clock going off in your head, regardless of whether you can see the pressure or not. Look at a guy like Von Miller or Mack who can ruin an entire game because they feast on the right tackle. It's why we are now seeing guys get drafted high specifically to play the right side of the line. Both are equally as important imo.

He's coming off a major injury and has only played a full 16 game season once out of his four year career. That's a massive gamble and is not someone you'd be putting your faith in to hold down an important spot. Should back himself in on a one year deal to prove himself again and then he can potentially cash in come 12 months time.

Is Brown really one of the best RTs in the NFL...not for me. Von Miller is just as good on both sides of the LOS (ask CamNewton) I'm sure Mack could be as well if asked. Aside from all that, tell me how players NE let walk generally perform when given a massive contract by another team, Chandler Jones the only one who's lived up to the contract of recent times that I can think of.

Williams was fit his first two years in the league ,just didn't get playing time while being developed. Not like has a massive injury history or anything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back