2019 Game of the Year

What was the 2019 Game of the Year?

• Rd 1: St. Kilda (85) def. Gold Coast (84)

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Rd 2: Hawthorn (87) def. by Bulldogs (106)

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Rd 4: Geelong (75) def. by GWS (79)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Rd 4: Port Adelaide (92) def. by Richmond (99)

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Rd 6: Essendon (69) def. by Collingwood (73)

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Rd 8: Carlton (87) def. by Collingwood (106)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rd 10: Fremantle (73) def. Brisbane (72)

• Rd 11: Collingwood (75) def. by Fremantle (79)

• Rd 12: Carlton (78) def Brisbane (63)

• Rd 13: Carlton (100) def. by Bulldogs (103)

• Rd 15: Essendon (77) def GWS (71)

• Rd 15: Hawthorn (71) def. by West Coast (77)

• Rd 15: Fremantle (75) def. by Carlton (79)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Rd 16: Carlton (100) def. by Melbourne (105)

• Rd 17: West Coast (77) def. by Collingwood (78)

Votes: 10 4.0%
  • Rd 17: Essendon (86) def Kangaroos (81)

Votes: 14 5.6%
  • Rd 20: GWS (83) def Sydney (81)

• Rd 22: Brisbane (75) def. Geelong (74)

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Rd 22: Richmond (88) def. West Coast (82)

Votes: 135 54.2%
  • SF: Brisbane (80) def. by GWS (83)

Votes: 13 5.2%
  • PF: Richmond (85) def. Geelong (66)

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • PF: Collingwood (52) def. by GWS (56)

Votes: 10 4.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Going by your logic all Vic sides must be crap.

Did you factor in the the two team town?

Or maybe that if Eagle fans want to see their side play it has to be against an interstate side 10 times per year?

Stats don't like, old friend.

West Coast 9/11 over 50K+
Richmond 2/5 over 50K+

West Coast have gone from averaging 36751 in their last year at Subi in 2017 to 53513 at Optus in 2019.

Victorian clubs need to rely on each other to draw big crowds and create a blockbuster

Every game in Perth featuring West Coast is a blockbuster.

Last edited:
You can't even fill your own stadium, let alone ours 2x over.

Richmond home ground attendance against interstate opponents 2019:

V Sydney 40,053
V GWS 40,053
V Port 41,642
V West Coast 57,415
V Brisbane 76,995

Overall, their drawing power is pretty poor.

The only two teams that they got over 50, 000 is the two interstate teams with big Victorian fanbases.

Reality is that Richmond needs help from opposition supporters to get over 50K at their games.

Smallest crowd at West Coast home game was 47,497 against Gold Coast.
One of the matches you just cited as evidence of "pretty poor" attendamce - the Brisbane one - was the biggest attendance at a Home and Away match in Brisbane's history.

One of the matches you just cited as evidence of "pretty poor" attendamce - the Brisbane one - was the biggest attendance at a Home and Away match in Brisbane's history.

In what world is 75K a small turnout?

What I said was that Richmond's only interstate games with 50K+ relied on their opponents having bigger than usual Victorian fanbases.

West Coast is well supported in Victoria for a non-Victorian club and Brisbane has many Victorian supporters due to its connection with Fitzroy.

Last edited:
In what world is 75K a small turnout?

What I said was that Richmond's only interstate games with 50K+ relied on their opponents having bigger than usual Victorian fanbases.

West Coast is well supported in Victoria for a non-Victorian club and Brisbane has many Victorian supporters due to its connection with Fitzroy.

Stop de-railing my thread. You got an opinion on GOTY?? Otherwise scram

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Stats don't like, old friend.

West Coast 9/11 over 50K+
Richmond 2/5 over 50K+

West Coast have gone from averaging 36751 in their last year at Subi in 2017 to 53513 at

West Coast 0/11 over 57K
Richmond 2/5 over 57K

Stats don't lie.

Interesting fact... the only time the Eagles have had 57,000+ fans attend a H&A game against an interstate side at Perth Stadium was when they played Richmond.

West Coast 0/11 over 57K
Richmond 2/5 over 57K

Stats don't lie.

Interesting fact... the only time the Eagles have had 57,000+ fans attend a H&A game against an interstate side at Perth Stadium was when they played Richmond.

And yet believe it or not, very few of those 57 000 were Richmond supporters.

Can't say the same for two games you referenced at MCG where 10K+ were opposition supporters (that number might be closer to 20K in the Brisbane game).

Can't say the same for two games you referenced at MCG where 10K+ were opposition supporters (that number might be closer to 20K in the Brisbane game).
Were you at those Richmond games?

Were you at those Richmond games?

Yes I was actually.

I live in Melbourne. I was at the West Coast game. Also, I went with my mate to the Brisbane game as he is a tiger (one who's been a fan since he was a kid in 93' and one of the few remaining decent Tigers fans).

Yes I was actually.

I live in Melbourne. I was at the West Coast game. Also, I went with my mate to the Brisbane game as he is a tiger (one who's been a fan since he was a kid in 93' and one of the few remaining decent Tigers fans).
So Richmond can draw neutrals but West Coast can’t. Thanks for helping us become the biggest in the land.

So Richmond can draw neutrals but West Coast can’t. Thanks for helping us become the biggest in the land.

LOL. I didn't help Richmond at all. I went as a guest of an MCC member.

100K members yet struggles to get 50K unless a 2nd big club is involved is not the metric of "biggest club in the land".

Collingwood Fans: "we had most people through the gate"
West Coast fan: "Well West Coast is the richest and posted the biggest revenue & profit"
Hawthorn fans: "We have the most AFL flags"
Richmond Fans: "We aren't s**t anymore, therefore we must be the biggest in the land"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL. I didn't help Richmond at all. I went as a guest of an MCC member.

100K members yet struggles to get 50K unless a 2nd big club is involved is not the metric of "biggest club in the land".

Collingwood Fans: "we had most people through the gate"
West Coast fan: "Well West Coast is the richest and posted the biggest revenue & profit"
Hawthorn fans: "We have the most AFL flags"
Richmond Fans: "We aren't s**t anymore, therefore we must be the biggest in the land"
If West Coast are so big why is it that 90,000 members can’t fill a 60,000 seat stadium? Clearly West Coast top out at +/-55,000 fans. They couldn’t even fill it for what was always going to be their only final there this year. In fact, you couldn’t even fill it - as reigning premiers - when you played the other Perth team this year. And you had two opportunities to do so.
#PetMemberships

If West Coast are so big why is it that 90,000 members can’t fill a 60,000 seat stadium? Clearly West Coast top out at +/-55,000 fans. They couldn’t even fill it for what was always going to be their only final there this year. In fact, you couldn’t even fill it - as reigning premiers - when you played the other Perth team this year. And you had two opportunities to do so.
#PetMemberships

Are you trying to say that West Coast aren't a big club?

Lmao 20k? Rocks in your head

I’m not sure why it is being discussed in game of the year though. All Richmond games are usually pretty good but that one was pretty stock standard.

Have a look at your attendance record vs interstaters.

thats where you sort the wheat from the chaff - thats where you know for a fact whether its your supporters making up the numbers - not the other team you are playing
2.14 million in Perth supporting 2 teams.
4.5 million in Melbourne supporting 9 teams.

Personally I thought the North/Richmond game was the best game this season. For the first half the commentators were saying the Dusty was back to his very best and that we were lucky to still be in it, and then in the second half we rammed a red hot poker up Dusty's arse and blew the toothless Tigers out of the water. All in Shaw's first game as interim coach. Brilliant stuff.
Oh well at least you got some joy from the season, the first of our 3 losses in a row before the bye, probably not at our best at that point I’d say.

You can't even fill your own stadium, let alone ours 2x over.

Richmond home ground attendance against interstate opponents 2019:

V Sydney 40,053
V GWS 40,053
V Port 41,642
V West Coast 57,415
V Brisbane 76,995

Overall, their drawing power is pretty poor.

The only two teams that they got over 50, 000 is the two interstate teams with big Victorian fanbases.

Reality is that Richmond needs help from opposition supporters to get over 50K at their games.

Smallest crowd at West Coast home game was 47,497 against Gold Coast.
Hold the record for largest Victorian attendance for Brisbane, Sydney and giants.

You cant even fill your own ground against an interstate team - guess they dont allow dog or cats in the mcg
we only bother for prelims lol

actually, blame mcc & afl members for not turning up, rd22 was packed everywhere else

and yet the weagles voted against the w.a. no3 team......
I didnt realise that the two things were related.

fascinating - to kill off some teams in melbourne its required to add one in wa

what a fascinating take.

Of course another way of looking at it would be : new york has the population of australia - and only has two pro football teams

perhaps perth should just stay with two and melbs should just have less?

Back