Strategy 2019 Game Style??

Remove this Banner Ad

40porpoise

Club Legend
Aug 29, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Watching scrappy Richmond tonight has me wondering what our game style should be for 2019.

Will we make minor adjustments and focus on what made us so good in 2017 with our slingshot high scoring style?

Will we adopt a Richmond scrum style of pushing forward at all costs, handball forward, kick forward, knock forward, never move the ball backwards?

Or will we come up with something completely revolutionary?

For what it’s worth my money’s on a tweak of the 2017 plan with a focus on backline intercept marks (doedee laird Keath Milera), quick ball movement by foot, and high scoring.

handball forward, kick forward, knock forward, never move the ball backwards?
They move the ball backwards when it benefits them, but the rest is not just unique to Richmond 2017/18.
The Hawks did it in their hat-trick years (2013-15) + a high-possession game style with multiple short kicks marked by players who have run clear. The advantage of the latter is the receiving player who marks the ball cannot be tackled, the importance of which cannot be overstated. An accurate 15+m. kick to a player is always better than a 15+m. handball. It ensures that possession is retained and cannot be disputed, decreases wear'n'tear on players (who are tackled/crunched less), and creates that beautiful run-and-spread overlapping style of play that we mastered in the first six rounds of 2017.
Combine that with united-team mongrel and you get what the Crows produced in the 2017 QF and PF. Umpires and Leaver aside, Richmond did it better for longer than us in the GF. :( :'(
For 2019 I'd like to see more of that (team mongrel) and more speed and defensive pressure from our mids and forward line, especially on leads within the F50. High bombs just don't work. If fit, we'll have just about the best backline in the comp.

Don Pyke is an innovator and there are countless game plans to choose from. But there are only two options which are no-gos:

- the 2017 Crows (it's been found out)
- the 2017/18 Tigers (copying the premiers never works)

I agree copying the premiers never works, because by that time they’ve been found out.

I do hope Pyke comes up with something innovative, what this is I’m not sure..

And kick it long and right to Sauce from kick ins :thumbsu:

This just does my ******* head in. It occasionally worked before he was completely cooked, but when was the last time he actually clunked a mark?

Limping if the story about the club backing in Burton and Hass is true.
Geez wouldnt it be great to work for AFC. Talk about an cushy ride. Is there any other club that offers such jobs? I would be very interested in a high paying job with no accountability whatsoever.

Not Hass, surely??? :eek: :mad:
Have you got a link or reference, or is it just "I heard ..."?

It has been posted in another thread. Article written by Reece Homfray on AdelaideNow. Personally I'd think Burton is the bigger problem. Hass is probably just doing what he's told.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don Pyke is an innovator and there are countless game plans to choose from. But there are only two options which are no-gos:

- the 2017 Crows (it's been found out)
- the 2017/18 Tigers (copying the premiers never works)

The German wolf pack worked.

But when they had ww1 submarines facing ww2 navies.

It didn't work

Injuries aside I would like us to expand upon the attacking from HB plan.

With Smithers, Milera and Seed (if he stays) down there we have a real weapon across HB.

Defensively need to run in packs more to create tackle pressure. This of course relies on good legspeed and ability to spread.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Need to nail the fundamentals before considering game style.

Skills, tackling, strength and fitness.

The bold fixes all, seeing skills, tackling and strength (ok to a lesser degree, but still a part) all require a high level of fitness.

After all, fitness makes structures work.

No game plan will work if Burton and Haas are in charge of the fitness department. Hammy after hammy will stop us from playing finals either way.

Our strengths are kicking, leading up (Tex + Lynch) and creating space (when fit) out the back for Jenkins and Betts to run a muck. Must be fit for our best football to happen in 2019.
Milera, Smith, Seedsman, Laird with Gibbs and Sloane in the middle should mean a good rebound team. Getting our inside work up to scratch (Crouch brothers and whoever is rucking for us) will also be key. Down back we will be solid whatever happens in the middle.

Some things I'd like to see / not to see

- No, we can't go back to 2017, it worked for most of the year but it's not sustainable
- Although a fit Smithers and Seed, plus Milera, will certainly make that approach more viable
- No, we shouldn't just try to copy Richmond, but I do like the aspect of pushing forward at all costs*
- I'd like to see one thing back from 2017 that we didn't see in 2018: Not over-committing to the contest, just having one or 2 players in and receivers ready on the outside. Having 3-4 player close in to the contest leaves nothing for the release. We did this a lot in 2017, to great effect.
- And finally, I'd like to quote one S Trigg :) after a winning game many years ago: "Frantic attack on the player and the ball".

Whatever our overall game plan is in 2019, I'd like to see those elements.

* This goes back a long way, but one of my enduring memories from one of the Lions' winning GFs was seeing Voss, Black and - I think Leppitsch all in a group/pack, fighting for the loose ball and pushing it forward. That's stuck with me

Kick it to David Mackay on the wing. Job done

The job is only done when we bomb it into the forward line where Eddie (and only Eddie) flies for the ball, Tex lays down for lack of fitness, and Dougie tries to run back with the flight of the ball but accidentally kills Gov in the process.

And kick it long and right to Sauce from kick ins :thumbsu:

And sometimes we have the ball and wait till any early options are exhausted and then we hand pass or doozy around and then we, wait for it, yes we kick, often under pressure, yes you've guessed it, as a floating bomb into the forward 50 ! Yes, we do exactly what could have been achieved as an early play on kick any way. I just love how it makes our forwards earn their bread and butter against well set up numbers against them. It's wonderful......

The 6 6 6 may force us to play, shock horror 6 forwards in the f50 - at least for a short time.

Every centre bounce we start with only 4 (sometimes 5) forwards so we are out numbered for the quick kick forward out the middle.

No MacKay and Douglas will help with whatever game plan we devise.

The 6 6 6 may force us to play, shock horror 6 forwards in the f50 - at least for a short time.

Every centre bounce we start with only 4 (sometimes 5) forwards so we are out numbered for the quick kick forward out the middle.

No MacKay and Douglas will help with whatever game plan we devise.
I look forward to seeing Atkins and DMac start as two of our six “forwards”. Crouched in the sprint start position behind the F50 line. The ball is bounced and BANG the sprint is on to get back to the wing.

Meanwhile Jake Kelly and Kyle Hartigan, our two “wingers”, are back-pedalling furiously to get back behind the ball, while keeping their sights on the contest.

Then Dougie and Otten who were initially behind the ball come up to meet the oppositions centre clearance.

What happens next?

Choose your own adventure...

I look forward to seeing Atkins and DMac start as two of our six “forwards”. Crouched in the sprint start position behind the F50 line. The ball is bounced and BANG the sprint is on to get back to the wing.

Meanwhile Jake Kelly and Kyle Hartigan, our two “wingers”, are back-pedalling furiously to get back behind the ball, while keeping their sights on the contest.

Then Dougie and Otten who were initially behind the ball come up to meet the oppositions centre clearance.

What happens next?

Choose your own adventure...
Ball kicked back to Hartigan who is about to mark then is taken out by Dougie, who is then reported for high contact and suspended for a week.
Mat Crouch pings a hammy in the middle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back