Discussion 2019 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guy who got drafted by the Crows last year IIRC was picked at 27 was born in England and was elidgable for our academy but am administrative decision caused us to miss out. What I’m saying is we can complain about the academies when we as a club start to really invest and take it seriously.
How's he going so far?

I don't really care about it anymore. It was six years ago, we've clearly moved on with King now. Good luck to him if he makes it. At the time we had Tom Lee at full forward so I don't think picking Paddy was a bad call at all.
You're right, I need to get over it. Have had trouble with that one for some reason. Need to practice my letting go skills :)

Hopefully Brad Hill can help.

You're right, I need to get over it. Have had trouble with that one for some reason. Need to practice my letting go skills :)

Hopefully Brad Hill can help.
I think if we all had a choice over a highly sought after forward and a highly sought after midfielder, with Tom Lee at full forward, we all would've chosen Paddy. Tall forwards don't go on trees and it costs millions to pry them from other clubs. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Zones aren't a bad idea they just need a lot of improvement. I just said you were wrong on the initial statement you made that we have a small zone because we are a small club, that's all - never wanted to really go into a back and forth about it, but I guess you wanted to drag it into opinions on zones.

When I said I "didn't care" maybe I worded that wrong - I actually meant I didn't care for spending time discussing it. There's plenty of issues with the AFL's equalisation policies.

Arguing over the semantics haha I didn't even want to argue at all. Would've gone into more detail than 'Wrong' if I did.

Could swear it says Northern Territory kid shifts to Melbourne to board and is Stkilda NGA .

Really happy with what we are doing with Dal there myself.

Could swear it says Northern Territory kid shifts to Melbourne to board and is Stkilda NGA .

Really happy with what we are doing with Dal there myself.
Maybe because he relocated first? Melbourne Grammar would put him in our zone. Not exactly sure how his specific situation played out. Looks like a great athlete though.

Don't know where else to put it, but we've been playing the older version of the club song at the AFLW and the game on Friday night, so hopefully that means the version from 2018 is gone for good

And didn't it sound great....us and everyone around us were singing along with gusto !!!!!

Zones aren't a bad idea they just need a lot of improvement. I just said you were wrong on the initial statement you made that we have a small zone because we are a small club, that's all - never wanted to really go into a back and forth about it, but I guess you wanted to drag it into opinions on zones.

When I said I "didn't care" maybe I worded that wrong - I actually meant I didn't care for spending time discussing it. There's plenty of issues with the AFL's equalisation policies.

Arguing over the semantics haha I didn't even want to argue at all. Would've gone into more detail than 'Wrong' if I did.
I don't get why they're even a thing beyond clubs finding an advantage. Clubs aren't suddenly developing talent that otherwise was being missed. They're just getting the ability to develop what was always going to end up in the system. Theyre just getting the rights to it.

I was thinking about it this morning and I still don't understand why the AFL cannot run the academy. I don't see there being a massive benefit to the club's running them beyond being able to get an advantage come draft time.

Bring back the uncompromised draft.

I don't get why they're even a thing beyond clubs finding an advantage. Clubs aren't suddenly developing talent that otherwise was being missed. They're just getting the ability to develop what was always going to end up in the system. Theyre just getting the rights to it.

I was thinking about it this morning and I still don't understand why the AFL cannot run the academy. I don't see there being a massive benefit to the club's running them beyond being able to get an advantage come draft time.

Bring back the uncompromised draft.
The only reason I can see is that the AFL don't want to move kids too far away from their families. Maybe they need to simplify it. Have a zone for each state where clubs within that state have priority, instead of it mixed throughout Victoria or mixed through NT, WA, etc.

Other than that I don't know why we have them either.

The only reason I can see is that the AFL don't want to move kids too far away from their families. Maybe they need to simplify it. Have a zone for each state where clubs within that state have priority, instead of it mixed throughout Victoria or mixed through NT, WA, etc.

Other than that I don't know why we have them either.
That i dont get either because the players are being moved anyway for school. For example a kid living in rural area will be further away from perth than perth is to Melbourne.

Then you have kids leaving the NT for Sydney and Melbourne.

It can't just be a relocation thing. It feels like the club's saw GWS draft hand and demanded they get the same mechanism.

I know Fremantle are confident of the continual very elite talent coming in from what already was an established pathway through Claremont and South Freo.

That i dont get either because the players are being moved anyway for school. For example a kid living in rural area will be further away from perth than perth is to Melbourne.

Then you have kids leaving the NT for Sydney and Melbourne.

It can't just be a relocation thing. It feels like the club's saw GWS draft hand and demanded they get the same mechanism.

I know Fremantle are confident of the continual very elite talent coming in from what already was an established pathway through Claremont and South Freo.
Yeah I've got no idea. I know it doesn't work though. I am a huge fan of equalisation but actual, true equalisation. I want to be able to go into every season thinking we could be a chance. NFL does it very well - hasn't been a back-to-back premier in that sport in 20 years. Teams go from 4 wins (out of 16 games) one season to then winning the title.

Also am a big proponent of changing the fixture to a 17 game season. Each team plays each other once and then we have a finals series. Can't have everything though - broadcasters have their fingers in that pie.

Don't know where else to put it, but we've been playing the older version of the club song at the AFLW and the game on Friday night, so hopefully that means the version from 2018 is gone for good
Got both versions to compare? Didn't even notice

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of people talking about banning the bump.
I hope they don't , though i worry that Gil might be too short sighted to think it through

I'm happy to clamp down on head high contact and i agree that Crouch should have been made an example of causing head high contact.

But banning the bump totally will lead to a whole lot of umpiring decisions where incidental contact will be considered "a bump".
When someone has their head hit its obvious. Leave it up to the player to avoid the head contact.

Hi i started the new thread for 2020
can everyone use it . thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back