Discussion 2019 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know.
Quite possibly/probably they have.
But if I was the club, irrespective, I’d be really interested in ensuring transparency in our coaching selection.
For the members.
For the media.
For the potential candidates.
For the ultimately successful appointee.
Best way of doing that is following the process that they have now publicly put out there.
Because transparency ensures the best possible outcome for the club.
And it demonstrates professionalism in the way we manage our business.

I think you’re missing a couple of other issues.
An informal search is not going to garner any of the above attributes.
It’s also not going to provide a vehicle for correctly measuring if the St Kilda FC is a desirable destination. We need to speak with candidates to determine that.
It’s not going to provide a vehicle for correctly measuring why/why not that may be the case. See above.
And it’s also not going to provide the vehicle for free, third hand, multiple, independent, and knowledgeable assessments of our list.
That last one is the one I’m probably most interested in getting right.

Note that none of the above has anything to do with who is finally chosen.
Nor does it guarantee you end up with the best candidate. We are 50/50 with Lyon and Watters.

I'm just not hung up on it TBH.

Club knows what Ratten is about and judging from social media, so are the fans.

Lade has probably been interviewed and we are waiting on Lyon. I think that's about it.

Good win for North and Shaw really hope he does well comes across good imo

Publicly the search was limited to Longmire and Simpson, and Clarkson.
No from all three evidently.
Then what about any other potential candidates?
You’d think they’d at least ask the question, if only to gauge interest.
Measure the desirability of North as a destination club.
Get some third hand, independent and knowledgeable analysis of their list at no cost?
Plus, why do it now, what’s the rush?
It’s not like Shaw is going anywhere before the end of the year.

Good luck to them, but I hope we do go through the process.
If only to measure our desirability as a destination, and to get independent list assessments.
Even if Ratts is a lock.
You never know what you might discover.

Some good points sunny which illustrate why a professionally run & thorough process is key to not only current success but also future success.

The key to running a proper process is all decision makers are accountable to the stakeholders ie fans, members, sponsors, governing body & most importantly themselves.

There needs to be a clearly defined role scope which is dictated by the parameters set by the committee & what suits the club/list at that point in time & with an eye to the future.

Documenting & executing a process based on what the club needs & searching for that someone that suits those parameters ensures when it comes time to review the process for good or bad it’s measurable & can be rationalised at a later time.

When your review comes out, again for good or bad, lessons learnt for future processes will form the outcome thus improving future processes. Even a thorough selection process is not an exact science so there’s no room for egos to dictate that everything is dandy even if 5-4 after 9 weeks.

Appointing someone without due diligence even if it appears they are the right person is not only unprofessional & arrogant but it’s incredibly lazy. It displays a clear lack of future thinking, self improvement & diligence.

I would hope our club at least goes through the process to as you say “get an independent opinion”. The more opinions you can get the better. I’m not talking about shopping but getting a number of strong positions which will form your (the committee) own position.

Wasn’t gringo copping heat by a few posters for saying top CEO’s get headhunted & don’t need to go through a process with the heat-causers saying EVERYONE need go through the hoops? I guess Shaw is different.

Publicly the search was limited to Longmire and Simpson, and Clarkson.
No from all three evidently.
Then what about any other potential candidates?
You’d think they’d at least ask the question, if only to gauge interest.
Measure the desirability of North as a destination club.
Get some third hand, independent and knowledgeable analysis of their list at no cost?
Plus, why do it now, what’s the rush?
It’s not like Shaw is going anywhere before the end of the year.

Good luck to them, but I hope we do go through the process.
If only to measure our desirability as a destination, and to get independent list assessments.
Even if Ratts is a lock.
You never know what you might discover.
Absolutely (on what they should do - whether they have done more than what is apparent or is another question I guess).

It could look very poor very quickly next year if it doesn’t go the right way.

Some good points sunny which illustrate why a professionally run & thorough process is key to not only current success but also future success.

The key to running a proper process is all decision makers are accountable to the stakeholders ie fans, members, sponsors, governing body & most importantly themselves.

There needs to be a clearly defined role scope which is dictated by the parameters set by the committee & what suits the club/list at that point in time & with an eye to the future.

Documenting & executing a process based on what the club needs & searching for that someone that suits those parameters ensures when it comes time to review the process for good or bad it’s measurable & can be rationalised at a later time.

When your review comes out, again for good or bad, lessons learnt for future processes will form the outcome thus improving future processes. Even a thorough selection process is not an exact science so there’s no room for egos to dictate that everything is dandy even if 5-4 after 9 weeks.

Appointing someone without due diligence even if it appears they are the right person is not only unprofessional & arrogant but it’s incredibly lazy. It displays a clear lack of future thinking, self improvement & diligence.

I would hope our club at least goes through the process to as you say “get an independent opinion”. The more opinions you can get the better. I’m not talking about shopping but getting a number of strong positions which will form your (the committee) own position.

Wasn’t gringo copping heat by a few posters for saying top CEO’s get headhunted & don’t need to go through a process with the heat-causers saying EVERYONE need go through the hoops? I guess Shaw is different.
That last paragraph is check mate!
Absolutely nailed.

Nor does it guarantee you end up with the best candidate. We are 50/50 with Lyon and Watters.

I'm just not hung up on it TBH.

Club knows what Ratten is about and judging from social media, so are the fans.

Lade has probably been interviewed and we are waiting on Lyon. I think that's about it.
Maybe, but there’s another benefit for transparency.
And that is it limits the propensity for people to promulgate foolish conspiracy theories.
“Foolish is as Foolish does” you might respond.
And anything the club does will not stop that.
You might be correct.
But why do anything to encourage such resource sapping stupidity in the first place?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good respect
Sorry man but about as much respect as could be given has been afforded to Richo!

Six years at the helm of the footy club was a hell of a lot more respect than any coach
Outside of Allan Jeans got! Well paid and left with no bitter fallout!

Richo can consider himself one of the most fortunate coaches of the modern era
And to think that even after having one of the worst winning records in history
The club managed to part ways with all dignity intact for Richo!
Says a bit about how far the club has come as far as diplomatic affairs are
Concerned, compared to the dark old days when Doc had not even been informed
When he was taking training, sadly he fell ill anyway and the clubs blushes were spared!

Sorry man but about as much respect as could be given has been afforded to Richo!

Six years at the helm of the footy club was a hell of a lot more respect than any coach
Outside of Allan Jeans got! Well paid and left with no bitter fallout!

Richo can consider himself one of the most fortunate coaches of the modern era
And to think that even after having one of the worst winning records in history
The club managed to part ways with all dignity intact for Richo!
Says a bit about how far the club has come as far as diplomatic affairs are
Concerned, compared to the dark old days when Doc had not even been informed
When he was taking training, sadly he fell ill anyway and the clubs blushes were spared!

No worries. He picked himself. He tried to lose. I think Doc coached after he got sick but hey lets show no respect.

Maybe, but there’s another benefit for transparency.
And that is it limits the propensity for people to promulgate foolish conspiracy theories.
“Foolish is as Foolish does” you might respond.
And anything the club does will not stop that.
You might be correct.
But why do anything to encourage such resource sapping stupidity in the first place?
Yeah I'm still not buying the whole transperancy thing.

What other corporations do that?

In the end you can have 5 independent assessors put their recommendations forward and the club will go on their prefetred candidate if they want to.

Yay it keeps a few members happy.

How can you ascertain that he didn't go through the hoops?

And just to refresh your memory for accuracy, he suggested that the top CEOs don't have to interview.

Others disagreed.

How can you ascertain that he didn't go through the hoops?

And just to refresh your memory for accuracy, he suggested that the top CEOs don't have to interview.

Others disagreed.

You know the irony is that the day after we had been discussing it, I ran into an old family friend who had been in real estate for years and recently retired. Some how out of nowhere he said he'd changed firms several times and never done an interview, he'd been head hunted every time. I so wanted to get back on and gloat to you but I decided it made me look petty...so I held my pettiness until it looked like someone else bought it up so I could pretend to have dignity.

Also have a mate who is in marketing and he's been head hunted for every role he's been in since he was about 25, my mate who's at Google was approached at a seminar he was speaking at and hired. You just don't know good enough people.

No one has head hunted me yet.;(

Yeah I'm still not buying the whole transperancy thing.

What other corporations do that?

In the end you can have 5 independent assessors put their recommendations forward and the club will go on their prefetred candidate if they want to.

Yay it keeps a few members happy.

Big companies like their suppliers to be transparent so they can control them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back