Discussion 2019 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t think they won did they. If pinching is the way some think we should play then leave me out of it. The best unsociable footy is kicking a bigger score than the opposition the guy sitting following the other side isn’t going to be to socialable at all.
We pinched a win today. Does that count?

This whole new zero tolerance bullsh!t from the AFL and their wannabe coppers
Is a very good way to stop the fans from ever going to the footy!

Who the F is driving this? :mad:
What an absolute disgrace! Nanny State has completely gone mad!
Fancy evicting folks for having the gall to barrack too loud at the footy! Just staggering!

We are living through sad times people! Oh for the freedoms of yesteryear!

Komrade Dan's Marxist utopia is right on track. Next act. Thought crimes. Rely on the state for everything. Even what you say and think.

This just seems to me to be symptomatic of an over correction by the AFL, feeling they failed to respond appropriately or act when Goodes was being booed a few years ago.

No coincidence that this is hitting a crescendo around the time his documentary is airing and the AFL are publically apologising. Even though the circumstances are completely different.

Couple this with a series of well documented violence issues at games over the past few years and you have an organisation scrambling to protect their public persona.

I’m sure it will die down and go away over time but if not, fans will walk. So many times I’ve felt like giving it away due to AFL messing with rules or bizarre and inconsistent tribunal decisions (protected species players getting off etc) or incompetent umpiring..... there are so many examples and one if these times it will probably be the last time. I love St Kilda but the AFL sucks a lot of enjoyment out of the game.

If they were truly doing a good job, they would be working away quietly in the background and you shouldn’t see or hear much from them IMO.

Last edited:
Having Security Guards walked up and down the aisles is completely unnecessary. Great way to scare families off from attending the footy.

I don't really get that - why would security guards scare families off?

There are certain games I wouldn't have taken my 5 year old daughter to - Essendon, Carlton, Richmond, Collingwood - based on what I've witnessed over the years, which I would if I thought it was going to be less scary for her.

There are certain games I wouldn't have taken my 5 year old daughter to - Essendon, Carlton, Richmond, Collingwood - based on what I've witnessed over the years, which I would if I thought it was going to be less scary for her.
I’m loud at the footy but I must be lucky. Never see people near kicked out. I’ve never come close to being kicked out. And totally agree with you. Why would anyone get upset with security

I suspect the AFL have done their research, read about Heysel, ultras, barra brava, etc.

I went to a soccer game in Turkey about ten years ago, it was pretty scary - Gala were losing at home, and five minutes before the end about 100 riot police filed out into the stand we were in (turned out it was the ultras stand because that's where the tickets were cheap). The crowd around us started ripping up seats. We got the hell out before it kicked off.

Yes, footy is still miles from that. But if they want it to be a family game, which they clearly do, it makes sense to enforce some rules of crowd behaviour. I reckon footy crowds are generally pretty good, makes sense to keep it that way rather than let it deteriorate.

I suspect the AFL have done their research, read about Heysel, ultras, barra brava, etc.

I went to a soccer game in Turkey about ten years ago, it was pretty scary - Gala were losing at home, and five minutes before the end about 100 riot police filed out into the stand we were in (turned out it was the ultras stand because that's where the tickets were cheap). The crowd around us started ripping up seats. We got the hell out before it kicked off.

Yes, footy is still miles from that. But if they want it to be a family game, which they clearly do, it makes sense to enforce some rules of crowd behaviour. I reckon footy crowds are generally pretty good, makes sense to keep it that way rather than let it deteriorate.
Drawing a low bow are we not bergholt?
There has never been anything remotely resembling crowd behaviour in a AFL game to a soccer match in Turkey, or for that matter any normal day in Turkey!
Yeah sure security are needed when the odd boofheads start punching on, but turning on punters for making some very tame comments about the most
Protected species in the game and ffs cheering too loudly is extreme and an invasion of peoples freedoms!

Heard lots of feedback from people attending the Carlton v Dogs game, and a lot of patrons were on edge from the extra security. Many people said they couldn't see the game because the guards were walking up and down the aisles blocking's their views. Families felt uncomfortable because of the large amount of guards stalking the areas. If anyone got too loud, saying nothing inappropriate but just cheered too loud, a guard would come over and warn them. It's an environment to breed fear rather than enjoy game of football.

This just seems to me to be symptomatic of an over correction by the AFL, feeling they failed to respond appropriately or act when Goodes was being booed a few years ago.

No coincidence that this is hitting a crescendo around the time his documentary is airing and the AFL are publically apologising. Even though the circumstances are completely different.

Couple this with a series of well documented violence issues at games over the past few years and you have an organisation scrambling to protect their public persona.

I’m sure it will die down and go away over time but if not, fans will walk. So many times I’ve felt like giving it away due to AFL messing with rules or bizarre and inconsistent tribunal decisions (protected species players getting off etc) or incompetent umpiring..... there are so many examples and one if these times it will probably be the last time. I love St Kilda but the AFL sucks a lot of enjoyment out of the game.

If they were truly doing a good job, they would be working away quietly in the background and you shouldn’t see or hear much from them IMO.

Blame lawyers, if it looks like the AFL failed to provide a safe workplace the can get sued. Makes insurance crippling and is a bad look for the administrators. Umpires could claim depression is due to constant threatening abuse etc.

Yeah I've been in 2 minds about taking my almost 3 year old daughter to games.

Taking her next week, it feels that the new Saints supporter bay on level 2 is a pretty good environment to take in the game (cheaper than a reserved L1 seat too) and if she cracks it in her seat then we can take her up to the function room up behind the seats. There's plenty of space for her to sit and draw or chill out and we can still see some of the game. Well won't be any harder than trying to watch it in the living room when she's demanding attention :think:.

Overcorrection should be Gil's middle name.
Everything that happens results in a rushed out over the top reaction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw a story where blooz and doggy supporters were fighting at the game.

If this is correct then fair enough. Seems to be more of it this year.

Trying to quell supporters might seem ott but the last two g we need is more violence imo.

I saw a story where blooz and doggy supporters were fighting at the game.

If this is correct then fair enough. Seems to be more of it this year.

Trying to quell supporters might seem ott but the last two g we need is more violence imo.
I think there is more of it but started getting worse when not calling obvious frees changing the game into the scrappy poo fest we're now forced to endure or turn off.

He has had a few bitter swipes at the club since being delisted.

That’s a shame. We gave him the opportunity, but it appears we were correct to delist him.
Joyce looking promising but time will tell.

That’s a shame. We gave him the opportunity, but it appears we were correct to delist him.
Joyce looking promising but time will tell.
His comment was a reply to a specific tweet from Essendon announcing his retirement.

He gives us all a mention here on Instagram

fxbg2q.jpg

Really surprised Kennett hasn't copped more heat for his comments. https://www.3aw.com.au/footy-fan-be...uestions-ethnic-background-of-security-staff/

I dont have an issue with him making the comments if he had proof that,

a) the majority of the security guards were new to the country
b) they dont understand the rules of Afl
c) they havent been here long enough to understand footy culture, banter, etc

What i find disgusting is he's forming a conclusion based solely on someone's appearance. No matter his “I’m not being racist when I say this" disclaimer, it's racist, plain and simple. Now watch all the dipsticks and morons follow his lead.

Really surprised Kennett hasn't copped more heat for his comments. https://www.3aw.com.au/footy-fan-be...uestions-ethnic-background-of-security-staff/

I dont have an issue with him making the comments if he had proof that,

a) the majority of the security guards were new to the country
b) they dont understand the rules of Afl
c) they havent been here long enough to understand footy culture, banter, etc

What i find disgusting is he's forming a conclusion based solely on someone's appearance. No matter his “I’m not being racist when I say this" disclaimer, it's racist, plain and simple. Now watch all the dipsticks and morons follow his lead.
So true!
Even more baffling is that he ran this state for so long and was actually popular amongst " New Australian's " for taking up farcical token causes!
Played em all on a break he did! Cunning ol fox....He does some good occasionally, but cannot help the inner demon in him coming out all too frequently!

Ahhhh Jeff Jeff Jeff never before has the same dribble spewed out of a man that accurately describes his head! :poo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back