Discussion 2019 General AFL Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Another thing about the Crows, the combination of Laird, Brodie Smith & Milera is easily the most damaging back half in the competition IMO. Speed, composure & skill is elite. Try stopping that.

The half back line is so important in modern footy to have composed players to deal with frontal pressure & also generate attack. Main reason why I want Billings playing the Laird/Smith role. Billings, Coffield & Webster/Sav off half back is froffage.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
Another thing about the Crows, the combination of Laird, Brodie Smith & Milera is easily the most damaging back half in the competition IMO. Speed, composure & skill is elite. Try stopping that.

The half back line is so important in modern footy to have composed players to deal with frontal pressure & also generate attack. Main reason why I want Billings playing the Laird/Smith role. Billings, Coffield & Webster/Sav off half back is froffage.
JB was playing that position in match sim yesterday and was covering Robert Harvey type territory.
Ok not quite, bit of mayo on that, but he was free roaming across half back and the backs were seeking him out.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

“Our back 6 look like they met on Tinder.”

Couldn’t resist quoting this disgruntled poster on the Dees board during their JLT2 against the Lions :p

Neale with 17 disposals half way through the 2nd quarter against Melbourne and Lyons with 10 and 2 goals!

Losing Beams hurts, but those two are handy pickups!

Lyons is a gun but in the days where spread and speed are king, inside ball winners are undervalued.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Lyons is a gun but in the days where spread and speed are king, inside ball winners are undervalued.
4 goals and 25 disposals now for Lyons, and both he and Neale have 15 CP's.

Brisbane had a comfortable lead over Melb, but now it's back to 7 points with 3.5 mins to go.

I’m interested to see how Melbourne cope with the expectations placed on them this season. So many have them as flag favourites.

For me, it’s still Tigers or West Coast, especially with Nicnat and Gaff returning.

I’m interested to see how Melbourne cope with the expectations placed on them this season. So many have them as flag favourites.

For me, it’s still Tigers or West Coast, especially with Nicnat and Gaff returning.

Crows still handy.

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda

Not many had the Pies or Eagles in the 8 let alone the GF. Anything could happen. Well except GC making the GF. I think it’s pretty open between about 6 teams. Melb, Pies, Tigers, Eagles, Crows & Giants all a chance. Then there’ll be a few surprise teams like last year. Wouldn’t be surprised to see the Lions really explode although I still think they are 12-24 months away.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda

For me, Melbourne haven't shown that they can perform against the top sides to tip them as flag favourites. They love beating up on the bottom sides but always seem to go missing against the best.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not many had the Pies or Eagles in the 8 let alone the GF. Anything could happen. Well except GC making the GF. I think it’s pretty open between about 6 teams. Melb, Pies, Tigers, Eagles, Crows & Giants all a chance. Then there’ll be a few surprise teams like last year. Wouldn’t be surprised to see the Lions really explode although I still think they are 12-24 months away.
Brisbane will be really tough to beat at home but gettable when traveling. Probably 1 year away from being a genuine finals threat once a lot of their guys who have been brought in get use to playing together and they mature as a squad a bit.

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Brisbane will be really tough to beat at home but gettable when traveling. Probably 1 year away from being a genuine finals threat once a lot of their guys who have been brought in get use to playing together and they mature as a squad a bit.

They’ve got a really good young group coming through & it’s obvious they are all buying into Fagan. I agree they are probably another year off but they could easily go from no finals to top 4.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
They’ve got a really good young group coming through & it’s obvious they are all buying into Fagan. I agree they are probably another year off but they could easily go from no finals to top 4.
I agree that they're on a rapid rise, but that would mean they've gone from spoon to top 4 in 2 seasons!

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I agree that they're on a rapid rise, but that would mean they've gone from spoon to top 4 in 2 seasons!
The thing is that once they hit an ok level, they will win 100% of home games. Home ground advantage is huge. It’s truly horrible watching even good saints sides play a Lions side above crap standard at the Gabba. Once they go to a good standard or above they humiliate sides at home.

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
The thing is that once they hit an ok level, they will win 100% of home games. Home ground advantage is huge. It’s truly horrible watching even good saints sides play a Lions side above crap standard at the Gabba. Once they go to a good standard or above they humiliate sides at home.
True that. It's a big advantage rebuilding non-Vic sides have over the Victorian versions. They become very hard to beat every 2nd week once they become competitive again.

Aug 25, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, San Antonio Spurs

And then can still roll quality players like Atkins, Knight & Seedsman through there on rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back