austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
Hey folks is something wrong with the AFL site? Says it's 3Q and scores are 32-26. Weird.

Hey folks is something wrong with the AFL site? Says it's 3Q and scores are 32-26. Weird.

Yeah, it's accurate.

We may need a flow chart of what sticks are for on a footy field based on this game thus far.

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
what i wouldn't give for a members night where the list committee consisting of richo, trout, ameet, pelchen, finnis and libba front up an answer questions on how that one managed to come to fruition.

just beggars belief that in the modern draft era we couldnt even net a GOP

The worst part of Paddy's selection was you only had to look at his so called highlights reel to see he didn't have a single attribute that marked him as worthy of the number one pick.

Watch his championship and several games at U/18 level and it beggars belief he went at number one. As Leigh Matthews famously said about Jack Watts in his first year, "This kid has shown nothing that justifies his selection at number one. "

Unfortunately, that also applies to Paddy. All I can think of was they were seduced by him being a KPF. A big, slow, tubby, diabetic KPF who couldn't hit the side of a barn with a set shot. Trout, like herpes, is the gift that keeps taking.

Aug 28, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Coventry City
Travis Varcoe is bloody fit, it’s 20 minutes into the final quarter and I’ve seen him make repeated sprints just to pressure the opponent. Really clever handball in the 3rd too to set up Stephenson.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Brian Taylor says there is 1 more goal left in this game. Think they've been 5 since he said that. Idiot.

TBF he'd have gone close if they emulated the previous 3 quarters instead of actually trying in Q4 to actively score.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
T
The worst part of Paddy's selection was you only had to look at his so called highlights reel to see he didn't have a single attribute that marked him as worthy of the number one pick.

Watch his championship and several games at U/18 level and it beggars belief he went at number one. As Leigh Matthews famously said about Jack Watts in his first year, "This kid has shown nothing that justifies his selection at number one. "

Unfortunately, that also applies to Paddy. All I can think of was they were seduced by him being a KPF. A big, slow, tubby, diabetic KPF who couldn't hit the side of a barn with a set shot. Trout, like herpes, is the gift that keeps taking.
Time to move on from Paddy , we have secured a good one in King.

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I know its impossible to predict but is it just pure luck or smart recruiting. Billings v Bont and now
Naughton v Coffield..Naughton looks a beauty and Coffield is struggling in vfl

Do you think Coffield would be playing in the reserves if he was selected by the Dogs? Of course we don’t have a definitive answer but I think he’d be lining up in the ones.

The Dogs new recruits under Bevo traditionally have swagger & I don’t think it’s any coincidence.

Do they target players with extreme confidence? Bont, Naughton, Macrae, Smith, etc

Does Bevo develop them in a way that gives them confidence to be themselves & not scared to make a mistake?

On the other hand is our club running a military camp that was suited to footy teams in the 80s or have we evolved to deal with teenagers in the current era?!

Kids of this generation will rebel against authority. They are entitled. I suspect Bevo has nailed this very aspect hence getting more out of his new recruits.

Imagine being Naughton, a 19 year old, & Bevo tapping you on the shoulder saying you are our key post. Or Smith & Bevo slotting you straight in the guts.

Now imagine our coaching team saying to Coffield you will play for Sandy until you work on your defensive game & rotting away for the best part of two years.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Do you think Coffield would be playing in the reserves if he was selected by the Dogs? Of course we don’t have a definitive answer but I think he’d be lining up in the ones.

The Dogs new recruits under Bevo traditionally have swagger & I don’t think it’s any coincidence.

Do they target players with extreme confidence? Bont, Naughton, Macrae, Smith, etc

Does Bevo develop them in a way that gives them confidence to be themselves & not scared to make a mistake?

On the other hand is our club running a military camp that was suited to footy teams in the 80s or have we evolved to deal with teenagers in the current era?!

Kids of this generation will rebel against authority. They are entitled. I suspect Bevo has nailed this very aspect hence getting more out of his new recruits.

Imagine being Naughton, a 19 year old, & Bevo tapping you on the shoulder saying you are our key post. Or Smith & Bevo slotting you straight in the guts.

Now imagine our coaching team saying to Coffield you will play for Sandy until you work on your defensive game & rotting away for the best part of two years.
What about if he was drafted by Geelong? They get praised for being such great developers and always being able to uncover great new kids. Yet they do it completely differently to the Bulldogs.

Look at Constable. He debuted Rd1 and looks so comfortable at AFL level. He spent all of last year playing in the VFL despite many performances which could have warranted him being in the AFL team. But they kept him at VFL level working and developing his game so once he was elevated to the AFL, he could seamless transition into their structure and start impacting games. As far as I'm aware, spending he year at VFL level didn't take away his confidence and make him scared of not making a mistake.

Instead of complaining that we are leaving Coffield to rot away and taking away all his swagger, maybe put the onus on him to actually perform at VFL level, turn up after preseason in reasonable shape and warrant being promoted to the AFL team.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC

We have played guys in the seniors for extended periods and it hasn't worked like Dunstan and there is Steven who hardly played seniors for 2 years and look at him now. There is no right way. Its easy to say just play a player but you can bet that people on here will get sick of underperforming players especially if we are losing. Coffield form suggests the reserves is the right place for him. Its easy to pot a coach but im guessing he would be potted if he did play coffield for an extended period especially if the form is poor.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
We have played guys in the seniors for extended periods and it hasn't worked like Dunstan and there is Steven who hardly played seniors for 2 years and look at him now. There is no right way. Its easy to say just play a player but you can bet that people on here will get sick of underperforming players especially if we are losing. Coffield form suggests the reserves is the right place for him. Its easy to pot a coach but im guessing he would be potted if he did play coffield for an extended period especially if the form is poor.
Two talented kids.

Drafted at 7 and 8.

One smashes his 3km time trial because wants to play midfield.

The other comes back in poor shape.

One is playing seniors the other isn't.

Obviously all Richos fault...

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda

Now imagine Coff saying if it is to be it's up to me?

If I want to play at senior level I need to work harder and prove them.wrong...

Or could it be that he's just not very good? Perhaps other clubs jut select better players with their picks. Carlton get players who look like guns form day one but some that are absolute lemons. Brisbane had a heap of GOPs then all of a sudden started nailing their picks. Same with Melbourne. Coffield is another rebound back in a huge pool of rebound backs, we also went and got Marsh, Wilkie and Hind who are all rebound backs who are now a long way in front of him. I would guess the club aren't backing him to make it. At least they are giving him a go in midfield now, probably his only chance. White and Rice are in a similar boat.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Or could it be that he's just not very good? Perhaps other clubs jut select better players with their picks. Carlton get players who look like guns form day one but some that are absolute lemons. Brisbane had a heap of GOPs then all of a sudden started nailing their picks. Same with Melbourne. Coffield is another rebound back in a huge pool of rebound backs, we also went and got Marsh, Wilkie and Hind who are all rebound backs who are now a long way in front of him. I would guess the club aren't backing him to make it. At least they are giving him a go in midfield now, probably his only chance. White and Rice are in a similar boat.

Agree with a lot of that except the last bit. Its 3 weeks into his second year. He could still make it in many positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back