Discussion 2019 General AFL Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I’m fully aware that everything is not fine and dandy, that’s not my argument. My argument is that the club and forcing players to fit into a regime where they just follow orders and act how the club seems best.

The past 6-7 years I would put down to Trout recruiting players of “good nature”. They came into the club with the mindset of being good boys. I wouldn’t say the club forced them to act that way at all.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes you are correct about the strategy to recruit players of good nature. But do you think there was a broader strategy to instil that culture across the whole footy club?

Finnis...Richo...Geary. It’s glaringly obvious that the clubs strategy was to become as cultural reformative & bland as possible. Gringo has outlined reasons why in the above post.

IMO until only very recently the direction of the footy club has changed to focus on its main brief: winning games of footy.

The next 12 months is going to be very interesting, on & off the field IMO.

Aug 28, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Coventry City
Yes you are correct about the strategy to recruit players of good nature. But do you think there was a broader strategy to instil that culture across the whole footy club?

Finnis...Richo...Geary. It’s glaringly obvious that the clubs brief was to become as cultural reformative & bland as possible.

IMO until only very recently the direction of the footy club has changed to focus on its main brief: winning games of footy.

The next 12 months is going to be very interesting, on & off the field IMO.

Like I said, agree to disagree because I do not think there was a broader strategy. Geary himself has said that after training sessions he mucks around in the changing rooms playing cricket, and tries to get the other boys in on it. Doesn’t sound very bland to me.

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Like I said, agree to disagree because I do not think there was a broader strategy. Geary himself has said that after training sessions he mucks around in the changing rooms playing cricket, and tries to get the other boys in on it. Doesn’t sound very bland to me.

Games of cricket in the change rooms after training. FMD, that’s loose as!

I’m fully aware that everything is not fine and dandy, that’s not my argument. My argument is that the club and forcing players to fit into a regime where they just follow orders and act how the club seems best.

The past 6-7 years I would put down to Trout recruiting players of “good nature”. They came into the club with the mindset of being good boys. I wouldn’t say the club forced them to act that way at all.

There is some truth to that, I have met most of our kids as new draftees and they are overwhelmingly shy or quiet types. Billings was painfully shy to the point he looked like he wanted to spew getting around a crowd of people of about 50 people. Mc Kenzie the same, he was so shy and sweet, he's the kid you would want your daughter to date. Gresham is probably the outlier there, he kind of looks disinterested at events and pretty much like he's counting seconds until he gets out of there.

I could count the slightly flog types on one hand. Brando White, Bruce, Newnes....maybe Long but he's kind of quiet and intense more. Coffield looks a bit disinterested but can't tell if he's quiet or shy or what. Looks confident though and I think Hunter seems self assured with out the slightly over confident air that guys like Newnes has.

A few Waynes Carey Jordy de Goey types that would piss in your sink, bang your mum and steal your car if you turn your back would help turn us into a bit of harder edged unit.

I haven't got to meet King yet so hopefully he is a big dog leader.

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Some of it is probably not having good older leaders to learn from and the club under Finnis seems to want to maintain a very wholesome image after we lost a lot of potential money off the back of the school girl saga and dwarf gate at a time we should have been making hay.

Last year we seem to have made big strides in bringing in high level assistants and off field staff. I wish we could get a real gun recruiter still. When I watch recruitment videos we have a war room of about 10 guys who all seem to want a say. No one is a big dick recruiter who tells the clueless campaigners to shut the **** up and listen to him. Libba seems like a good bloke but we need him to take the bull by the horns and tell them he's the boss and he'll listen to others on his terms.

Something isn't working though with drafting/ development, we seriously have the least obvious young talent pile in the competition. Gresham and Billings are the two best but only Gresham looks like a player who will take the team with him and win a match. Compare it to Brisbane and there are half a dozen kids that you are pretty confident will be A grade to elite. Carlton has Cripps and Curnow along side Walsh and Dow who look likely too. Bulldogs bought in Naughton who looks like he'll be a generational gun. I just wish we could start to turn that around fast. No pressure on Kingy but he's carry all our hopes and dreams on his wonky knee.

Agree mate. I definitely saw the need to taper the bad boy image back to an extent. But I think it went too far & it just may have clouded the club’s judgement with a few big decisions that will haunt us for years to come.

IIRC Naughton was very much on our radar. He was an athletic marking machine in the juniors but the knock on him was his disposal. He kicks a bit weird & has an underhand grip on the footy but so far it looks okay.

Coffield seems to have all the tools; leadership, skills, speed & reads the play well. Maybe developing him as a midfield is just plain wrong?! I always thought he would turn out to be a Bob Murphy type. God knows we need to skill & composure & the back half.

Agree mate. I definitely saw the need to taper the bad boy image back to an extent. But I think it went too far & it just may have clouded the club’s judgement with a few big decisions that will haunt us for years to come.

IIRC Naughton was very much on our radar. He was an athletic marking machine in the juniors but the knock on him was his disposal. He kicks a bit weird & has an underhand grip on the footy but so far it looks okay.

Coffield seems to have all the tools; leadership, skills, speed & reads the play well. Maybe developing him as a midfield is just plain wrong?! I always thought he would turn out to be a Bob Murphy type. God knows we need to skill & composure & the back half.

Yeah, Naughton kicks bent kneed, it's an action that tall kids in under 12s have, he hardly misses heaps of targets though, in fact I reckon his disposal is very good from what I've seen. I think it's the action looks so ugly it put people off.

Talking of disposal, Matt Suckling last night was unbelievable in his pin point kicking in heavy traffic. Gee the Hawks found some good kickers in that era.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
GT was ahead of his time, this generation would be much more suited to what GT did with his players. He loved the players and treated the like his sons. He was pretty much on their level and in it together not an authoritarian overload. He copped s**t at the time but now managing millennials it would be perfect.

Yeah GT would have probably had a go at captain ^%# himself.
So Richo is too nice or too authoritarian?

Which one is it?

So Richo is too nice or too authoritarian?

Which one is it?

Both, just a general * wit. Depends on how I feel like denigrating him at the time really.

I actually think Richo is an overachiever, he's made us over competitive for the list we have but it's probably held us back from getting the real high picks and below average recruiters have made it even slower.

Coffield is another rebound back in a huge pool of rebound backs, we also went and got Marsh, Wilkie and Hind who are all rebound backs who are now a long way in front of him. I would guess the club aren't backing him to make it. At least they are giving him a go in midfield now, probably his only chance. White and Rice are in a similar boat.

You have got to be joking!

And this “probably his only chance”?
One season and three games into his career and it’s nearly over?
That is pessimistic in the extreme.

You have got to be joking!

And this “probably his only chance”?
One season and three games into his career and it’s nearly over?
That is pessimistic in the extreme.

Struggling in the VFL with half a dozen ahead of him by position in the seniors is going to make it hard to develop let alone get over them.

Struggling in the VFL with half a dozen ahead of him by position in the seniors is going to make it hard to develop let alone get over them.

Can’t agree.
Who are the half dozen ahead of him. Not quite ready to write off a top ten pick who is 19 years old. Jeez.

Can’t agree.
Who are the half dozen ahead of him. Not quite ready to write off a top ten pick who is 19 years old. Jeez.

I'm not saying he's a write off but he's starting from a bit further back. Webster, Geary, Wilkie, Savage, Hind, Marsh, and White and Rice around the same mark. Austin can even play a mobile rebound back position as well as a more KP role, same with Darragh Joyse.

Pick 8 struggling behind a mature aged rookie - suggest he doesn't take it seriously enough.

Maybe he doesn't but he's still struggling. I could see from the way Savage was playing preseason and at training, that the coaches had taken him aside and given him a bit of love and trust. I think the punitive environment that was set up last year caused a few guys like him to lose hope and play for themselves when chances came.

To me he looks lost and needs someone to take him under their wing and give him simple achievable goals.Might not make it but at least get the most we can from him.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Can’t agree.
Coffield just needs time , as we all know a lot of these kids just need to grow and put on some bulk same goes with Clavarino , Bytel , Hunter.
Also Coffield is being talked about a half back flanker , but at this stage of his career I feel if he did play he would be better as a wing , mid or half forward , I just hope they don't just pigeon hole the guy as a back man . His skills are very clean and would be great running through the middle.
However playing in the VFL will not hurt him until he is ready - he will be part of our future .

I'm not saying he's a write off but he's starting from a bit further back. Webster, Geary, Wilkie, Savage, Hind, Marsh, and White and Rice around the same mark. Austin can even play a mobile rebound back position as well as a more KP role, same with Darragh Joyse.

Coffield is a kid. Of course he’s starting from further back. He doesn’t have to be best 22 today.

Geary, and Savage are the generation before him and they will be finishing off as he truly gets going.
Hind and Marsh haven’t played a game yet. Austin, White and Rice are hardly breaking the door down...could hardly call them ahead of him.

Aside from which, pretty sure they were going to use him in the midfield.

My point, as it always is with these kids, is patience required.

Last edited:
Ok ive mentioned this before but this is an update so i will include the whole thing .

If you want something better than foxtel for a fraction of the price then this is for you .
Its called IPTV and its 100% legal although im not sure why lol.
For some reason all tv channels around the world have to be able to be streamed . So every station in america , australia UK etc is streamed .
To get this service you download a iptv player for free from apple store , microsoft store or google store. They all have them but only get a free one as you dont need to pay .
The next thing you do is sign up with a iptv carrier . Ive just connected to Vader iptv so i will use this as an example .
I went with vader because they carry every sport channel from america and the UK , plus other countries . As a bonus they also carry Fox Footy from Australia . I think its actually the only australian channel they have . You can find ones with more australian stuff but i didnt want that . So through these sports channels i will now have access to all Major League Baseball , NFL football , NBA basketball , ice hockey , English Premier League , etc etc etc . Also all stations on cable like Discovery channel , comedy channel , disney channels , all movie channels etc etc from US and UK etc are there , also including ones like HBO so you can watch Game Of Thrones at the same time as US if you want . You dont have to sign up to any of these channels .

How much does this cost you say ? Every IPTV provider has different prices . Vader costs around $15 a month , or $150 per year . Thats US prices so its about $20 a month and maybe $200 a year australian , im not sure of the dollar change exactly .

You can do a trial for a day for around $6 australian which gives you access to everything for the day . It is streamed through your internet so you really need to have unlimited downloads .
Now when i first joined Vader and tried fox footy it just kept buffering on my ipad . I was about to give up when i did a search on google to see if i could do anything about it . I found a forum where everybody was saying to download a free program called Speedify . Its in the Apple store but it appears to have versions for windows etc as well . I installed it and my buffering problem totally disappeared . I do recommend that you try this all first using the trial cost fora day just to make sure it all works for you .

The basics is this includes every sport channel from US and UK and other countries . Also included is Fox Footy and Fox League if you like rugby too which i dont .
But it only has the main fox footy station , no extra footy stations .
As far as i can tell it has every foxtel station and then more .

If you want help setting it up , which only takes a few minutes , message me and i will help .

There , ive done my bit . I hope someone finds this of interest . Remember its totally legal so you dont have to worry .
You can try searching for free playlists but they rarely work as the tv stations change their iptv details almost weekly . But if you pay like i am with Vader it gets updates behind the scenes all the time so you always get connected , so they claim anyway . I am with another iptv carrier at the moment which has been perfect but its due to run out in a day or two and it didnt have fox footy or as many sport channels as Vader does.

Don’t Panic !!

Sheepey

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Awesome win from the Giants to get up over the Cats at Kardinia with Ward going down in the first 5 minutes.

I've realised that the Giants are my second team because I like a lot of their players and the way they play. Davis, Ward, Coniglio, Kelly, Cameron, Taranto and Whitfield are all absolute guns and seem like good blokes as well.

Mitch Brown handy with 24 disposals 11 marks and 3.1. I remember wanting to get him to the Saints but Essendon got him as a freebie from their cheating though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back