Discussion 2019 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some real spankings handing out this weekend: GWS, Gold Coat, Essendon and North all on the receiving end of heavy defeats.

Is North's 14 points the lowest in AFL history? Incredible, it's actually an achievement to be that bad 😄

in VFL/ AFL history we own that title
0.1.1 against Geelong in 1899 :D

Jan 26, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne United

rodney86

Team Captain
Sep 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Everton, Penguins, Victory
I remember Freo scoring 13 against Adelaide about ten or so years ago. Not sure if there has been anything lower recently.

Edit: Fitzroy also kicked 1.8 against North in 1989. For anything lower you have to go right back to 1961 when we held Richmond to the last goalless score (0.8).

Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
It’s been an odd weekend for mine.
If Cogs is thinking about staying at GWS to “see it through”, you’d think the result on Friday might get him thinking about whether that’s such a great idea. Maybe greener pastures beckon.
Surely the Bomber hierarchy must be asking themselves questions about their list, coaching panel and team management because 104 point defeats three weeks prior to the finals augers nothing but pain.
And isn’t this the second time this year we’ve heard the “it’s not who we really are” refrain?
And at North, are we really sure that we did the right thing by eschewing the “process” and got the right guy?
A record low score of 14 points suggests: Ummm, maybe?
Whatever happens, Stuv just increased his trade price.
Can GAblett and Stuv even play in the same team?
While BHill’s audition could have gone much better.
The highlight?
RTB losing his sh1t multiple times today.
Under pressure much?

For those interested: picked 8 from 9.
GWS failed me.

Sep 25, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I converted the bummers fan reaction to gif.

ezgif.com-video-to-gif (5).gif

Insert your own caption..

ezgif.com-add-text (7).gif

Steve7920

Debutant
Jul 31, 2009
Mildura
AFL Club
St Kilda
Looks like Buddy will be aiming to play his 300th game against Saints in rd23, should make things a bit more interesting to cap off our season.
He played against Saints for his 200th game in 2014, kicked 9 goals for Swans to beat us by 71 points. Hopefully history doesn't repeat itself!

Sorry if this is being discussed elsewhere but has anyone listened to the "Sacked" podcast? I caught up on the Grant Thomas and Scott Watters eps over the weekend.

The stories Watters tells about having to go to Zac Dawson's house to tell him he has to take a pay cut because our cap is projecting over in 2012 (after Pelchen had just said he would get a raise) and also being asked to hand back a car that the club leased for him but never actually told him about, show just how ****ed we were off the field at the time.

Really, getting to within a few goals of back to back flags appears to be a miracle in hindsight...

Sorry if this is being discussed elsewhere but has anyone listened to the "Sacked" podcast? I caught up on the Grant Thomas and Scott Watters eps over the weekend.

The stories Watters tells about having to go to Zac Dawson's house to tell him he has to take a pay cut because our cap is projecting over in 2012 (after Pelchen had just said he would get a raise) and also being asked to hand back a car that the club leased for him but never actually told him about, show just how f’ed we were off the field at the time.

Really, getting to within a few goals of back to back flags appears to be a miracle in hindsight...

all in a year we posted a big financial loss too and we were paying for a car no one was using hahahaha

all in a year we posted a big financial loss too and we were paying for a car no one was using hahahaha

I was screaming at my radio in the car. Just insane how bad it was.

Nobody was tracking the player payments outside of base contracts. but the club had a policy that said if you finish top 5 in the BnF you get a 50k bonus AND a 50k raise on your deal the following year.

Players with multiple top 5 finishes were owed multiple bonuses and this was blowing our cap way out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was screaming at my radio in the car. Just insane how bad it was.

Nobody was tracking the player payments outside of base contracts. but the club had a policy that said if you finish top 5 in the BnF you get a 50k bonus AND a 50k raise on your deal the following year.

Players with multiple top 5 finishes were owed multiple bonuses and this was blowing our cap way out.

problem is you couldn't even predict or model your cap could you. because its based on the result that just happened.

according to the age and caro, there was a case of an employee getting paid but no one knew where he was. he wasn't showing up to work.

in VFL/ AFL history we own that title
0.1.1 against Geelong in 1899 :D

We started as the weakest team in the league, and we rose to one day win a premiership , despite a system that gave the best players to the "big" clubs. ( only got in because we had a good ground and stadium ).

We started as the weakest team in the league, and we rose to one day win a premiership , despite a system that gave the best players to the "big" clubs. ( only got in because we had a good ground and stadium ).

Back in the early days we had trouble fielding a team, the lads liked to pub crawl before a game, after a game and anytime in between, and often couldn't be bothered turning up to play :D

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
problem is you couldn't even predict or model your cap could you. because its based on the result that just happened.

according to the age and caro, there was a case of an employee getting paid but no one knew where he was. he wasn't showing up to work.

I believe that employee was Chris Pelchen. Spent most of his last few months trying to establish his new business.

Nutsngum

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers FC

The stories Watters tells about having to go to Zac Dawson's house to tell him he has to take a pay cut because our cap is projecting over in 2012 (after Pelchen had just said he would get a raise) and also being asked to hand back a car that the club leased for him but never actually told him about, show just how f’ed we were off the field at the time.

Watters personally? Dawson was traded to Freo after Ross Lyon left. He was never coached nor played under Watters.

Watters personally? Dawson was traded to Freo after Ross Lyon left. He was never coached nor played under Watters.

Nah he never says he personally went. Just that Pelchen promised him a raise, then after we put everything into the AFL they sent us a letter saying we were projecting to be $220k over the cap so players were told no more money and those who were out of contract were asked to take a cut on their new deals.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
Nah he never says he personally went. Just that Pelchen promised him a raise, then after we put everything into the AFL they sent us a letter saying we were projecting to be $220k over the cap so players were told no more money and those who were out of contract were asked to take a cut on their new deals.
No one was asked to take a cut, we weren't allowed offer anyone increased salaries on their current deals. Dawson wanted more and thus was shipped.

Only two likes - disappointed I thought it was pretty sharp
Yes it was pretty good. And was in response to my post. So that's two reasons why I should give it a like.

But I note you didn't like the original post which provided you with the vehicle to launch your witty reposte. That original post was just as sharp; perhaps even more so. And took a bit of effort to construct. A fat Dewy crashing and burning with the AFL's basket case. I mean; c'mon!

So yes your post probably deserves a few more likes.

But I don't feel guilty you don't have mine :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back