Discussion 2019 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Has anyone seen the premiership odds for next year?

Fremantle and Sydney are joint third last on $51, we then come in at $101 and Gold Coast at $251.

Are we really that far off?

Pretty sure the Dees were very short odds this time last year....

Watching tonight, I have no idea why the Cats would sign Jack Steven. Clearly they're miles over the top on list age profile, nine 30 year olds already next year and still some of their most important players. Dangerfield, Selwood, Hawkins, Tuohy. Why would they add another one?

Certainly can't imagine they should trade anything particularly good for him. If they gave us Constable for Steven it would be ridiculous - a promising 20 year old for a 30 year old with a couple of years left.
Think of the IP Steven has in that mulleted head of his. They'll be able to finally crack Saints Footy wide open.

Has anyone seen the premiership odds for next year?

Fremantle and Sydney are joint third last on $51, we then come in at $101 and Gold Coast at $251.

Are we really that far off?

List wise yes. If we trade Bruce, Acres, Newnes and Stuv we are losing quality and the guys coming in are about break even but still huge holes all over the list. One ruck injury from disaster. King has to be like a Carey etc. Injury could make us a lot better but you can't rely on luck.

I reckon Vlastuin was under rated in their premiership win. He was huge but no-one noticed. That backline group is ridiculous. Grimes is elite and then Vlastuin, Houli, Rance, McIntosh, Broad,Ellis, Astbury and Short etc are as strong as any line up in the AFL. So much of their quality is down back, their midfield is okay but comparing it to sides like Collingwood and the Dogs it's pretty light weight. There might have been something in Richo's madness. He also started the whiplash overlap from defence that Richmond perfected and Bombers don't do as well.

It's where we missed the trick in '09.

The game has been trending to co-operative defensive means since the 90's, but outside of like individual instances no one really went entirely one way and basically built a wall, until we tried and made the game as ugly, insipid, stifled and engineered in '09 to unequivocally state to win, you needed work solutions instead of just relying on skill like the 1on1's. Instead of evolving this to generate with confidence from anywhere instead of just your expected of having possession through mark or equalised contested situations, the expansion was allowing "gaps" and transforming a dour structure into an offensive structure and then remarking how you then need to plug those gaps with "better" instances, such as speed on the outside.

As then say Hawthorn showed, even in dour instances once possession is retained if you keep it and have confidence to work solutions you then pick apart dour instances, either through, around or over, because in repetition comes understanding and you have the evolution of how the game is played in todays age. But say we take the lesson of '09 as "we rewote defensive efforts in AFL history" and actually worked on problem solving from the backhalf. Instead of what we did witness is sacrifice of position to eventual break due to an inability to outwork, outskill and outdo the opposition, you'd instead have confidence in work in defense to then shore up the midfield to limit sacrifice to then allow for space forward.

And with blokes at the time that were up thee with leading forwards of their ages, such as Rooey & Milney for example, the forwards basically could sort out a winning score, as in the other third of the ground, you have nothing but confidence and work with ideas to embolden and assist the second third.

Instead, we got what we had, in limiting and sacrifice instead then basically being well behind what everyone else was doing.

You saw someone like Wallace fo example in games flood people back, you heard phrases of ugly Swans footy of just locking down a game into contest. If we had people who recognised the eventual trend, we'd arguably have a couple flags with that team of 09'-10 in the aftermath. Instead we didn't, and true to form, shat the bed a bit to play catch up again.

The risk in such things though is that I'm also confident that it we did do this and actually pulled our finger out at the time, we'd have likely been in place of Essendon in sucking the fat one with oversight and screwing the pooch since we didn't have the capita or people to sustain it. So, small mercies.

Individually, the current finalists are bog average, prone to being as Richmond was, 3/4 time and 29 points for or as Geelong did and 50 points to adding 2 goals further, or sides going scoreless. But as sides and teams, they'e largely at points where they have confidence in no matter where on the ground, they have defense. And what say Geelong did very late in the piece fo trying to graft a goal, remined me so much of us a decade earlier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just saw on the news that only 17,000 tickets were allocated to members
Of the respective clubs for the GF! WTF?

Is the AFL serious with that rubbish?
Talk about a massive kick in the face for the punters!
Absolute joke that so many tickets go to corporates and F#ck knows who else!

Do not get a lot right at head quarters

Can someone design an orange white black tricolour.
I’m going to be a Gaint for the finals.
Israel+Folau+GWS+Giants+Training+Session+OirJJhiDpaKl.jpg

Think I read it’s 17k or so for each club, then the rest is split between:
- AFL members
- MCC members
- Corporate obligations

Agree it’s a complete joke.

Found this:
6528BAEE-BBE9-4ACD-8E78-D59D47278A9A.jpeg

Past his bed time I take it.

Not that I'll be watching since I'll maybe only see like the first hour of it, but more than happy to read another midfielder winning it comfortably and us polling poorly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back