No Oppo Supporters 2019 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treloar getting the medal over Gawn was like Judd winning Norm Smith in 2005 over Nic Fosdike!
LRT got robbed too don't forget. Sometimes the medal doesn't go to the clear "best" IMO but maybe on some other basis... I guess...

(Btw, I miss LRT, what a gun.)

LRT got robbed too don't forget. Sometimes the medal doesn't go to the clear "best" IMO but maybe on some other basis... I guess...

(Btw, I miss LRT, what a gun.)
Yeah LRT started like a house on fire! He’s certainly a different cat but he’s not the Adam Heuskes type cat.

Amon Buchanan deserves a mention as a possible Norm Smith candidate in '05. Just about everything he touched turned into something good for us.

The other thing though: if O'loughlin had have kicked straight, he would have won it hands down. He dominated that game but just couldn't finish off his opportunities.

Imagine telling someone at the start of 2005 that the Swans would be premiers and that LRT, Fosdike, and Buchanan would be contenders for the Norm Smith.

Amon Buchanan deserves a mention as a possible Norm Smith candidate in '05. Just about everything he touched turned into something good for us.

The other thing though: if O'loughlin had have kicked straight, he would have won it hands down. He dominated that game but just couldn't finish off his opportunities.

Imagine telling someone at the start of 2005 that the Swans would be premiers and that LRT, Fosdike, and Buchanan would be contenders for the Norm Smith.
Fossie for me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He said today that he did that before the weekend and judged on us being a finalist last year
Though I will say we didn't really play like finalists last year. If anything I feel like we've played better this year than last, but haven't managed to fluke as many wins.

Strange call , we still won 14 games , so we fluked 10.
I think there was about 4-5 games we won that we probably should've lost. I'm expecting this year to get to around 10-11 wins.

I think there was about 4-5 games we won that we probably should've lost. I'm expecting this year to get to around 10-11 wins.

Terrific points in both your posts.

I think we have a reasonable run home. I reckon we will at least split the last ten games.

I really hate losing. It is not my best trait and it really comes to the fore as a footy and cricket supporter (I was appalling when I played as well). Where we sit on the ladder this year appalls me and yet Chaisa has raised an important point.

There have been aspects of games I have enjoyed this year more than last year. For example last year we escaped with a miracle win over the Filth, courtesy of Tom McCartin lying on the ground surrounded by tackling Oppo when he miraculously drop scrubber kicked an impossible goal. I jumped around like a loon all the while knowing we had played like a bowl of tripe in white sauce. This year a better Filth team took the points but we kept them honest. While grumpy about losing this year I managed to find more positives.

I guess the differences are that we are playing a younger team - No Reg, Macca (occasional cameo appearances), KJ or Smithy and missing Buddy every now and then as well as Cunningham and Jones and of course we no longer have Hanners, Rohan or Newman (probably a good thing in itself). Also Sinkers is in half the form he had last year.

Last year and more so this year we rely on younger blokes to get us over or close to the line.

I am particularly enjoying watching the development of Blakey, Florent, Dawson, Papley, Hewett, McCartin and Allir. In recent weeks I enjoyed watching Longmire coach from the bench and I think he has been the better for it. This year I have been happy that we are relying less on the fatuous chippety chip.

This is a safe place, right?

Reading a lot of the posts on the mainboard I'm still blown away with how many supporters think that anti-social behaviour is some enshrined right when it comes to the footy. I'm all for barracking and please do it as loud as you want to but if I'm there with my kids don't think it's "all part of the theatre" to drop F-bombs and C-bombs every two minutes then abuse supporters around you when they give you a dirty look. Even with no kids there why is it considered acceptable at all? If you did it on a street corner you'd be one for being a public nuisance.

People are losing their minds because the AFL is starting to draw a line in the sand around this. Maybe I'm a snowflake but I think we could do with a rethink about what's good barracking and what is just straight out anti-social behaviour.

This is a safe place, right?

Reading a lot of the posts on the mainboard I'm still blown away with how many supporters think that anti-social behaviour is some enshrined right when it comes to the footy. I'm all for barracking and please do it as loud as you want to but if I'm there with my kids don't think it's "all part of the theatre" to drop F-bombs and C-bombs every two minutes then abuse supporters around you when they give you a dirty look. Even with no kids there why is it considered acceptable at all? If you did it on a street corner you'd be one for being a public nuisance.

People are losing their minds because the AFL is starting to draw a line in the sand around this. Maybe I'm a snowflake but I think we could do with a rethink about what's good barracking and what is just straight out anti-social behaviour.
It's PC going crazy once again, this country is stuffed by it . Totally agree about the swearing , but calling them green maggots or bald flog has been going on for decades . Time for fans to fight back and i'm also thinking Vlad was better than the St Scum flog in Gill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back