No Opposition Supporters 2019 General AFL Discussion

Wolftone

Premiership Player
Feb 1, 2012
Lilyfield
AFL Club
Sydney
Still think 15 is enough but I'm not really fussed either way, I use halftime to have a nap in my seat and/or check the other scores.
Unlike you, who are probably young, I need a toilet break even if I just drink soft drink. Then I like to go through the stats. I need the 20 minutes just as much as the players. I can refresh and get ready for the second half.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LukeParkerno1

Post-Human
Sep 23, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Unlike you, who are probably young, I need a toilet break even if I just drink soft drink. Then I like to go through the stats. I need the 20 minutes just as much as the players. I can refresh and get ready for the second half.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'll take the young part lol

Usually go to the toilet just before the break as it makes the queue less lol

SGBeach

All Australian
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Free public transport to the SCG on game day with membership. Cool!

Great change of subject, thanks Ticky.
As much as Im empathetic to old men and their toiletry requirements, I really don't want to read about it !

Free Public transport for everyone on game day

GotTheGoodes

Bloods
Mar 15, 2010
Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Wonder if they will ever get rid of the interchange cap.

I'm not sure how much of a coincidence it is that scoring started declining as soon as they started messing with interchange numbers.
I'm probably in the minority here but why do we need "high scoring" footy? Can't a contest be as enthralling & exciting despite a low score?

I know some of my favourite games have been the low scoring nailbiters.

Just don't umderstand this focus on increasing scoring... focus on the quality of the contest, not the score, IMO.

Jewelsbon

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm probably in the minority here but why do we need "high scoring" footy? Can't a contest be as enthralling & exciting despite a low score?

Just don't umderstand this focus on increasing scoring... focus on the quality of the contest, not the score, IMO.
Could not agree with you more GTG and conversely, a lot of the high scoring games can be very boring

Last edited:

RW

Premium Platinum
Jan 11, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

Spot on... one of the most frequently shared videos on the AFL Facebook page is of the conclusion to the 2005 semi-final, a match where 14 goals were scored in total. It is widely viewed as a "classic match".

Stop trying to "manage" every aspect of the game and let it evolve naturally.

Ticky009

Premium Gold
Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Spot on... one of the most frequently shared videos on the AFL Facebook page is of the conclusion to the 2005 semi-final, a match where 14 goals were scored in total. It is widely viewed as a "classic match".

Stop trying to "manage" every aspect of the game and let it evolve naturally.
Yes! Because those recent changes to increase scoring have been such spectacular successes

RobbieK

Premiership Player
Aug 20, 2009
Berlin
AFL Club
Sydney
Yes! Because those recent changes to increase scoring have been such spectacular successes
The problem is the constant, multiple, changes. Every change has unintended consequences, so when you just pile them all on top of each other it becomes increasingly impossible to predict what will happen, or establish which changes have been positive, which have been negative and which haven't achieved anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

scaryness

Oct 19, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney

For me its moreso that fatigue = more mistakes/poorer skills; poorer skills = less scoring

Clangers are going up while scoring is going down. That affects the quality of the contest personally.

It's not really about artificially jamming the scores back up to 100 a piece (which is what the AFL thinks about) but more just having players execute their skills better which will naturally increase scores.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sunnybrook Farm
Thank God for KB & his brilliant ideas on how to make players more tired by reducing interchanges.:rolleyes:

This guy comes from an era where 5 of the 6 games each week were hideous to watch but hey, let's return the game back the the"good ole days".
You know, the ones where there were only 4 teams of the 12 that could realistically play finals every year because they hoarded any talent that came to the competition by having the elite AFL zones allocated to them during their years of dominance. The days where 100 point losses were a weekly occurrence.

Thank god that old KB is off the airwaves along with Sam Newman with their repetitive dribble about their thoughts on how the modern game can go back to the past in order to fix a product that is far superior to when they played the game, when their team mates would light up a few smokes at the half time break in the rooms.

Yeah let's go back to those days KB.

BEEEEAUTIFUL..........................JUST F .. K. N BEAUTIFUL!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Kapanis

Premiership Player
Jul 26, 2015
Noosa
AFL Club
Sydney

More ads on tv, more goals more ads, it's all about the $.

The King!

Chosen One
Aug 3, 2004
Backwater
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Cavs, Redsox, Patriots
Fix footy by getting rid of the negative coaches

And it’s gradually happen as Lyon goes, Roos is gone and other defensive first coaches fall to the bottom

I agree scores don’t equal great footy but generally I think it is more likely to be a better contest and a free flowing game

Ablett v salmon etc shootout type games are still classics

I’d like to see less rolling mauls

2005 was enthralling but it had what one bounce? It was a lot of mauling crap for 3 quarters

The King!

Chosen One
Aug 3, 2004
Backwater
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Cavs, Redsox, Patriots
Thank God for KB & his brilliant ideas on how to make players more tired by reducing interchanges.:rolleyes:

This guy comes from an era where 5 of the 6 games each week were hideous to watch but hey, let's return the game back the the"good ole days".
You know, the ones where there were only 4 teams of the 12 that could realistically play finals every year because they hoarded any talent that came to the competition by having the elite AFL zones allocated to them during their years of dominance. The days where 100 point losses were a weekly occurrence.

Thank god that old KB is off the airwaves along with Sam Newman with their repetitive dribble about their thoughts on how the modern game can go back to the past in order to fix a product that is far superior to when they played the game, when their team mates would light up a few smokes at the half time break in the rooms.

Yeah let's go back to those days KB.

BEEEEAUTIFUL..........................JUST F .. K. N BEAUTIFUL!:rolleyes::rolleyes:
It’s a real issue

The modern game is horse crap to watch at times

Watch games from the 90s was better footy

Heeney2Franklin

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Football has come so far Gold Coast would smash any side of the 70-80's.

Football 30-40yrs ago was very simple and pure a large reason for that is umpires barely blowing the whistle and fitness levels.

bedford

Hall of Famer
Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC

Football 30-40yrs ago was very simple and pure a large reason for that is umpires barely blowing the whistle and fitness levels.
Some great games from the past on Fox atm , one the other night had Dunstall on fire leading out from the square , that's how footy should be played.

The King!

Chosen One
Aug 3, 2004
Backwater
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Cavs, Redsox, Patriots

You seen how far midfielders were running in the 90s not much different to now

Guys who can’t kick like Clarke wouldn’t get a game

robbieando

Oct 9, 2001
Spitting Bars
AFL Club
Sydney
Mainly because they didn't leave the field under the way coaches used the interchange.

Midfielders of today are running the same distance only faster but over a much shorter period of time.

That is just not true. There were some shocking kicks in the 90's who got games on a regular basis.

Paul Kelly was consisted a poor kick and we made him captain, but if we are talking "shocking" then how did Andrew Dunkley make it as long as he did?

I get what your saying but this discussion comes up every generation. In the 90's people talked about how different football was from the 70's and how coaches like Parkin and Sheedy were doing things differently and how better football was back then.

We'll have this discussion again in 20 years time and 20 years after that. We always have

S120

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Mainly because they didn't leave the field under the way coaches used the interchange.

Midfielders of today are running the same distance only faster but over a much shorter period of time.

That is just not true. There were some shocking kicks in the 90's who got games on a regular basis.

Paul Kelly was consisted a poor kick and we made him captain, but if we are talking "shocking" then how did Andrew Dunkley make it as long as he did?

I get what your saying but this discussion comes up every generation. In the 90's people talked about how different football was from the 70's and how coaches like Parkin and Sheedy were doing things differently and how better football was back then.

We'll have this discussion again in 20 years time and 20 years after that. We always have
Not to mention that most people acknowledge that the level of tackling and physical pressure has never been more consistently high across the game than right now, likely influencing the efficiency of disposal.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sunnybrook Farm

"What was the highlight of your career?
Playing in the 1997 Grand Final